Which M lens is the most pleasurable to use

PaulJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

another...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by albertknappmd
forgot picture!
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

My favorite, which sadly I no longer own, is the Summaron 35/2.8, which was my main lens for almost 15 years - my other being a 135/4 Tele-Elmar - for special purposes. The Summaron comments really fail to explain its popularity. I used mine for about 35 years and thought, wrongfully, that I needed the added sharpness of the Summicron. All said and done, IMHO it is the perfect lens for a 35mm body.

I really love my Summicron 35 ASPH. It's small, sharp and affordable, for a Leica lens. 

I also own the Summilux 35 ASPH FLE. It's a great lens too, but since most of my shooting is at f2.8 or larger aperture, the Summicron does just fine.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 2

I have tried bunch of Zeiss, Voigtlander, old Leitz and ELC made. None of them are as pleasing as Summarit-M 35 2.5.

Yes, I used it as the only lens on long trips and it is the one and only lens which is fully satisfying me on digital and on darkroom prints.

I'm just finding it difficult to use among three M bodies. I was seriously considering buying second of the same. But I still hope with my limited finances I could get some other modern Leica made lens from 21 to 28mm focal range. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I just scanned this image where this lens is present.

I was taking latelly images with digital Canon EOS and film EOS (scan from it shown here) cameras and honestly, the only advantage of M is in the pleasure to own and handling it.

Summarit-M 35 2.5 isn't too small, it is not heavy, it is very smooth to focus and its aperture ring is light. The shape of focus tab is perfect. 

Maybe Elmarit-M 28 2.8 ASPH is the same? I would keep it on M-E and use Summarit-M 35 2.5 on film. It is gives one of the best bw prints I ever made.

Darkroom print:

digital:

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 2

I've never seen a 35mm summaron, thanks everyone, I'll have to get my books out.

My favorite lens fly's under the radar, not a single mention here, rarely discussed.  Thambar like at f1.4, sharp at f5.6, the original 50mm summilux from 1959 is similar optically to the earlier summarit.  I like the dual functionality of beautiful rendition wide open and sharp stopped down.  Leica replaced it two years later with improved sharpness but less glow at f1.4, at the expense of the f5.6 sharpness.  

Otoh, I love the current 50mm Asph and wouldn't want to part with either lens.  

50 Summilux Asph retro E43. The standard version was my optical fave, but the retro version adds to that optical performance with sublime focussing feel, and an aperture ring which has a perfect action -,not too slack or tight. Add to that the beautiful looks and it’s my winner, although I know that many complain about the filter difficulties with this version. 

It’s back in production now too.

5 minutes ago, jcraf said:

50 Summilux Asph retro E43. The standard version was my optical fave, but the retro version adds to that optical performance with sublime focussing feel, and an aperture ring which has a perfect action -,not too slack or tight. Add to that the beautiful looks and it’s my winner, although I know that many complain about the filter difficulties with this version. 

It’s back in production now too.

Are you referring to #11688? 

I guess this is no longer a limited edition. Great looking lens without the hood.

1 minute ago, PaulJohn said:

Are you referring to #11688? 

I guess this is no longer a limited edition. Great looking lens without the hood.

Yes, that's the one. I agree about the hood. It stays at home in the box.  I sometimes use a generic screw -in 43mm vented hood which is smaller and doesn't appear to affect performance; a few quid from Amazon.

For pleasureable ergonomics, I would choose any of the pre-ASPH 35mm lenses. Without goggles, though. V.4 Summicron, by preference.

I don't believe in "one lens" photography any more than I want to play a guitar with "one string." So I can't help there much. If forced to use one lens at gunpoint, the 21mm Elmarit pre-ASPH.

Edited by adan

On 17 January 2019 at 7:28 AM, PaulJohn said:

Thinking purely about engineering quality, ergonomics, size, weight, tactile feel and aesthetics, which is your most favourite M lens? 

And would/could you use it as an only one lens solution?

I'm not sure that any specific lens is actually 'best' in all the aspects listed in your first query.

The lens that I still think works best on an M4 is the 35mm pre-aspheric Summilux, Size, weight, design, specification and integration with the body added to its asthetics make it my favourite little lens but whilst its tactility is ok, ergonomics are not wondrous.

I have a do use it as a one lens solution although I'm no fan of such limiting practices myself and prefer to use alongside with 2 or 3 others.

FWIW this lens was a milestone in design when it was launched - size to specification remains impressive to this day and its design was not only state-of-the-art but cannot be bettered using the limitations of available glass of the period - even using modern computer aided design (a paper was written by lens designers at Elcan a few years ago to this effect).

• Like 1