Which M lens is the most pleasurable to use

PaulJohn

Concerant the cameras If you're asking about digital? for me the answer is M10-P. If you're asking film, my favored camera is M6.

Concerning lenses the anwser is less easy and depends on what are you doing mostly: portraits, street, architecture,....

In general for a long time my favored lens wath the Summilux-M f1.4/35mm ASPH. Now it is the Summicron-M f2.0/28mm ASPH.

Edited by SiggiGun

My current favorite lens is the 50mm Summilux pre-ASPH, last version. 50 mm is my favorite focal length, and this version is a bit shorter and lighter than the current ASPH lens, and with a more "relaxed" sharpness and contrast. I was lucky to get a mint copy and the tactile feel is perfect.

I've also found that I get more control over the focusing without a focus tab, because I can grab around the lens instead of just using one finger.

I could have used it as my only lens, but I wouldn't. Because I love my other lenses as well.

• Thanks 1

Lens.... Well the 35mm i like most. the range, weight and the control with that little focus part at the bottum. I like the 35mm more than the 28mm in the rangefinder view. And a couple of steps backwarts is more privacy 😉

For the more depht i use the 75mm. I miss it a little with the 50mm and becourse of the 35mm and 50mm are to close together in it's range I think. And also I find the 90mm too much for nice portret. With mij R I had that really nice 60mm (even with macro), so the 75mm is in it's range so I know when I want to change lens.

I have the summarit-m f2.5 for both 35mm  and 75mm. Mostly because I don't want voigtlander or zeis and the price of the summarit. And f2.5 is good enough for me now with the M10-P where high iso is not really an issue.

maybe I will change the  35 with Summilux-M again that I had with my M6. It is more heavy, but I don't know why, but I like the focussing better.

1 hour ago, PaulJohn said:

Thinking purely about engineering quality, ergonomics, size, weight, tactile feel and aesthetics, which is your most favourite M lens? 

And would/could you use it as an only one lens solution?

The mix of engineering quality, tactile feel and aesthetics imho is at its top level in some lenses of the Golden ages of M (M3/M2/M4 era), even if depends a lot on your general and personal taste and mood (briefly said, depending on you are a "classic-prone" or "modern-prone")

In this sense, and given that I belong to the first group, I quote DR Summicron and Summilux 1st (50 and 35).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lct said:

On what sort of body, RF or Mirrorless? FF or APS? Leica only or other brands included?

It's to go on my favourite body the M-A (in black).

Luigi, an older lens might be the perfect match. I am thinking either 35 or 50.

Ah with M-A 😇

In my use the best companion of M-A is...

Summicron 35mm so called II or III with the sexy (not always loved ! ) aperture tab.

But the former version "8 elements" is not far if I want with focus lock.

Or why not the lovely (with some flaws for modern standard Summilux 35 non asph. )

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

About 50mm, my winner (with chrom M-A) is SOMNI or Summicron DR

Edited by a.noctilux
add image
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulJohn said:

It's to go on my favourite body the M-A

Kind of M4 then? I had a Summicron 50/2 v3 on mine in the seventies and it worked fine but it was my only Leica lens then so i'm not sure my antediluvian experience can be of any help for you... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PaulJohn said:

Thinking purely about engineering quality, ergonomics, size, weight, tactile feel and aesthetics, which is your most favourite M lens? 

Has to be my 35mm Summaron f2.8 (circa 1967).  Wonderful in all respects.

• Like 4

+1 for the venerable 35mm Summaron F2.8. Diminutive, perfect size on a Leica M, exquisitely built, and renders beautifully. Images it produces are sharp, but with a lovely quality to the out of focus areas. The front element is so deeply recessed, you don't need to bother with a lens hood. I'd never sell my Summaron

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PaulJohn said:

Thanks for suggestions - those summarons look very nice indeed.

Actually considering the zeiss 50mm 1.5 sonnar. Looks very compact for a 1.5 and even the markings are red to match my rewind knob :)

The Summaron generally stays on my MP whereas my C-Sonnar resides on my M7.  :)

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 1

I am enjoying all my lenses...

BUT... the most interesting one is the Thambar as you really never know what it is going to produce even after one year's experience..

Albert 😁

• Like 6
  • Haha 1