Q for dad taking candid photos of little kids.....

MCJ

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am now about $5k (USD) less wealthy, but I am also $5k (Leica Q-P) more wealthy, so I think it balances out.  Plus, the camera will last way longer in my life than $5k, so it's a real win as far as I'm concerned!  In case anyone is wondering why I got the Q-P instead of the Q, the reason is that I just thought the finish looked super cool, and since I was already out over my skis on the price of this thing, I figured why not just push all the chips in?!  Plus, it comes with a nifty leather strap and an extra battery, so with those two things taken into account (both of which I was going to buy anyway), the cost is not that different.  Now I await (anxiously) its arrival......  Thank you all for your comments, and the great photos to make the point!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jaapv said:

The word gateway drug has been used :lol:. I see a CL companion in the future with a 55-135 in the future to cover the fun in the park, sports and hobby of the kids ;)

Right. When his kids are maybe 5 years older than now, I bet a 55-135 finally becomes available somewhere (for a few seconds). 

I wanted a Q within a few months after its release.  I too wasn't sure if it would meet my needs but I had fairly convinced myself.  To help with my own mind I first rented one for a week and on the 2nd day knew I would purchase one.  Fast forward to the following spring and I am in the UK on business and we'll be driving past Stonehenge, which I'd not seen before, and we can't stop for photos.  Well I did what I could and put the Q out the window as we went by at about 60K.  Cropped later here is the result.  Great?  No.  Detailed?  Not much, but I got a worthwhile image for me.  Will all your kids shots be stunners and amazing?  To your eyes they probably will as you'll get them with a Q.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by beauport
correction
  • Like 3

I was also fortunate to be in London during this trip for the Queen's birthday and we crowded onto the Mall to watch the festivities.  Unlike in the US where the president would be in a secure car, the Queen rode in an open carriage.  I was shooting the Q from over my head as there were many people in front of me.  Again, the photo needed to be cropped but I was pleased to capture this.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, beauport said:

I was also fortunate to be in London during this trip for the Queen's birthday and we crowded onto the Mall to watch the festivities.  Unlike in the US where the president would be in a secure car, the Queen rode in an open carriage.  I was shooting the Q from over my head as there were many people in front of me.  Again, the photo needed to be cropped but I was pleased to capture this.  

These are great images! Why aren't they on our image thread where we can applaud them properly? And this month's Barnack Challenge is something red, and you could post this one there as well.

Indeed, the rule of the forum is that images for display are supposed to be posted in the image threads and photoforums. I might add that this id to the advantage of the poster as well, they attract more likes and comments that way and don't get buried that easily. Moderators will move images without warning, but in this case I'll leave them, being in a lazy mood.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jaapv said:

Indeed, the rule of the forum is that images for display are supposed to be posted in the image threads and photoforums. I might add that this id to the advantage of the poster as well, they attract more likes and comments that way and don't get buried that easily. Moderators will move images without warning, but in this case I'll leave them, being in a lazy mood.

I completely agree that general posts of pictures for feedback and display should be posted in the photo forums, but as well it’s much better for people to post examples of what they mean in discussion forums discussing aspects of a camera ? No

Edited by colonel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, colonel said:

I completely agree that general posts of pictures for feedback and display should be posted in the photo forums, but as well it’s much better for people to post examples of what they mean in discussion forums discussing aspects of a camera ? No

For what it’s worth, I very much appreciated people posting photos to illustrate their points to me (the OP). 

I agree with everyone that Q is amazing and will to most of what you need.

However, you should also keep that DSLR and 80-200 around for when you kids are old enough to play sports (or when you want to capture other fast action in pools, beach, swimming etc where you need reach and speed). Back when my kids were young I used my Canon 70-200 2.8IS for that type of photography and looking back at those images I have to admit that Q or any other similar smaller camera could not have done justice to those types of special moments.

1 hour ago, tgdinamo said:

I agree with everyone that Q is amazing and will to most of what you need.

However, you should also keep that DSLR and 80-200 around for when you kids are old enough to play sports (or when you want to capture other fast action in pools, beach, swimming etc where you need reach and speed). Back when my kids were young I used my Canon 70-200 2.8IS for that type of photography and looking back at those images I have to admit that Q or any other similar smaller camera could not have done justice to those types of special moments.

While my initial purpose in getting the Q was to have less gear - and I was planning to just sell my DSLR kit - I have come to realize that you are correct and for those times where I know I will need something other than the Q (sports, stage for example), I will take the 80-200 (or the Leica CL (or insert other Leica camera) and a TBD lens someone else on here already predicted I will eventually buy.....).  Of course the one issue with stage performances with my current dslr set up will be that at a distance I have a hard time getting a fast enough shutter speed for a good image.  Probably need a faster lense, or better seats!!  Maybe if I crank the ISO that will help, but that only helps to a point and then creates new problems.  Will have to experiment.   

Edited by MCJ

20 minutes ago, MCJ said:

Of course the one issue with stage performances with my current dslr set up will be that at a distance I can’t really open up the aperture enough to let in sufficient light in a dark room to get a crisp shot. Maybe if I crank the ISO that will help, but that only helps to a point and then creates new problems. 

This is why I went with 70-200L IS 2.8 instead of 4.0. It was heavier but made night and day difference as far as low light shots (so given that lens has IS even 10 years ago I was able to get good results so today with much improved low light performance of sensors this should not be an issue).

10 hours ago, colonel said:

[...]images for display [...]

There is no objection whatever to illustrative images.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 1:52 PM, MCJ said:

I am now about $5k (USD) less wealthy, but I am also $5k (Leica Q-P) more wealthy, so I think it balances out.  Plus, the camera will last way longer in my life than $5k, so it's a real win as far as I'm concerned!  In case anyone is wondering why I got the Q-P instead of the Q, the reason is that I just thought the finish looked super cool, and since I was already out over my skis on the price of this thing, I figured why not just push all the chips in?!  Plus, it comes with a nifty leather strap and an extra battery, so with those two things taken into account (both of which I was going to buy anyway), the cost is not that different.  Now I await (anxiously) its arrival......  Thank you all for your comments, and the great photos to make the point!

That's great! I could pretty much tell from your first post that you were ready to make the purchase.  You won't be disappointed.  Now you have to check out accessories like a half case, thumbs up and of course a clear filter to protect the lens. 😉

Should you happen to get buyers remorse and start to regret your decision, just keep telling yourself that its for a good reason and you deserve to own the best.

A captured  moment in time is worth a fortune.