Leica M9 Corrosion with New Sensor

Giacomo.B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

56 minutes ago, michali said:

In 2015 the sensors on both of my M9s as well as the sensor on my Monochrom were replaced due to sensor corrosion. I subsequently sold the one M9.

This morning I ran a check on my remaining M9 and the Monochrom, both cameras are displaying sensor corrosion again....

The question I have is whether Leica will charge for these sensors to be replaced, or is the work undertaken in 2015 still under warranty?

Best,

Mike

Hi Mike!

It is very likely corrosion. Those must have been about the last ones of the old type...  It should be under warranty by what came out back then, but obviously I cannot speak for Leica. Contact Andrea at CS and ask.

• Thanks 1

I think somewhere on the Forum there is advice on how you can interogate the camera to find which sensor by a code number. Hope someone can remember where to help you guys.

Edited by pedaes

Thanks everyone for the input, appreciated. I'll get in touch with Leica customer service tomorrow morning.

My sensors on all 3 cameras were replaced in April 2015 (I still have all the emails). I'm sure that they were not 2nd generation sensors. I remember asking Leica at the time if there was a risk of this happening again. I never received an answer to my question, but here we go again.....

I will feedback once I've been in contact with Leica CS.

Best,

Mike 

• Thanks 2

On 7/28/2019 at 4:19 PM, jaapv said:

Hi Mike!

It is very likely corrosion. Those must have been about the last ones of the old type...  It should be under warranty by what came out back then, but obviously I cannot speak for Leica. Contact Andrea at CS and ask.

So, I've been in contact with Leica CS regarding the corrosion on my M9 & Monochrom sensors which were replaced in 2015. 

When I wrote to them I said that I would assume that the replaced sensors would carry a 5 year warranty from 2015.  

Here's the reply I received this morning: 

"We regret to learn that you have problems again with the sensors of both your Leica M9 and your Leica MM.

Both cameras are older than 5 years, we charge a  contribution of €1330 + VAT for affected cameras that are older than 5 years.

The deciding factor is the age of the camera for which we allowed an additional 3 year good will period, not the age of the sensor.

Included in this price for sensor replacement is a free general overhaul of your Leica M camera and a one year warranty

on the same terms as for new products. This offer expresses our commitment to conserving the value of the camera.

The general overhaul of the Leica M camera includes the following items:

Cleaning and overhaul of the shutter cocking mechanisms

Cleaning and maintenance/repair of the multifunction wheel

Cleaning of the main switch and shutter speed dial

Adjustment of the baseplate locking system

Refurbishment of engravings

Renewal of the protective film on the baseplate

Maintenance/repair of viewfinder displays

In addition to the chargeable repair, you have the option to take advantage of our attractive upgrade program

to a M 240, M 262 or MM 246, M10/M10-P or Leica SL incl. M-Adapter.

Please kindly fill out the repair form and the proforma invoice and send with the goods."

Other than the corroded sensors, my cameras don't need any overhaul, that's all marketing BS.

To say that I'm pissed off is an uderstatement! Leica's attitude is unconscionable. If I decide to go the repair route I'm in for €2, 660- plus 19% = €3, 165-

If I decide to take advantage of their so-called "attractive upgrade program"  I'm still going to have to part with money. All for something that is entirely due to their faulty supply chain and manufacturing process, and no fault of this consumer who in good faith purchased 2 "high-end quality" cameras.

Selling the cameras as they are is not an option. So either way, I'm going to have to fork out more money to Leica or sit with two expensive paper weights....

OK I've had my rant.

I've now asked them to send me the options of their "attractive upgrade program". Let's see what they come up with...........

Best,

Mike

Edited by michali
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, michali said:

So, I've been in contact with Leica CS regarding the corrosion on my M9 & Monochrom sensors which were replaced in 2015. 

When I wrote to them I said that I would assume that the replaced sensors would carry a 5 year warranty from 2015.  

Here's the reply I received this morning: 

"We regret to learn that you have problems again with the sensors of both your Leica M9 and your Leica MM.

Both cameras are older than 5 years, we charge a  contribution of €1330 + VAT for affected cameras that are older than 5 years.

The deciding factor is the age of the camera for which we allowed an additional 3 year good will period, not the age of the sensor.

Included in this price for sensor replacement is a free general overhaul of your Leica M camera and a one year warranty

on the same terms as for new products. This offer expresses our commitment to conserving the value of the camera.

The general overhaul of the Leica M camera includes the following items:

Cleaning and overhaul of the shutter cocking mechanisms

Cleaning and maintenance/repair of the multifunction wheel

Cleaning of the main switch and shutter speed dial

Adjustment of the baseplate locking system

Refurbishment of engravings

Renewal of the protective film on the baseplate

Maintenance/repair of viewfinder displays

In addition to the chargeable repair, you have the option to take advantage of our attractive upgrade program

to a M 240, M 262 or MM 246, M10/M10-P or Leica SL incl. M-Adapter.

Please kindly fill out the repair form and the proforma invoice and send with the goods."

Other than the corroded sensors, my cameras don't need any overhaul, that's all marketing BS.

To say that I'm pissed off is an uderstatement! Leica's attitude is unconscionable. If I decide to go the repair route I'm in for €2, 660- plus 19% = €3, 165-

If I decide to take advantage of their so-called "attractive upgrade program"  I'm still going to have to part with money. All for something that is entirely due to their faulty supply chain and manufacturing process, and no fault of this consumer who in good faith purchased 2 "high-end quality" cameras.

Selling the cameras as they are is not an option. So either way, I'm going to have to fork out more money to Leica or sit with two expensive paper weights....

OK I've had my rant.

I've now asked them to send me the options of their "attractive upgrade program". Let's see what they come up with...........

Best,

Mike

Sue them! You are in the States.

Edited by Gobert

Hi everyone,

I had confirmation that if the corrosion problem on the Leica M9 returns with the sensor replaced in 2013, I have to pay Euro 1590 ... I agree that those who have never replaced the sensor must pay, but who has a replaced sensor that re-presents the problem does not have to pay anything!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marco febbrari said:

Hi everyone,

I had confirmation that if the corrosion problem on the Leica M9 returns with the sensor replaced in 2013, I have to pay Euro 1590 ... I agree that those who have never replaced the sensor must pay, but who has a replaced sensor that re-presents the problem does not have to pay anything!

2013 was six years ago. How long do you think reasonable?

3 hours ago, pedaes said:

When you fork out around $7, 000- for a Leica camera, what do you think is its reasonable life expectancy?  

Is it reasonable to expect the consumer to have to pay to have it repaired because of inferior parts used in the manufacturing process? Especially when the problem recurs..... 

Edited by michali
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, pedaes said:

I am a fan of Patagonia clothing. After 11 years I was replaced by a 600 euro jacket with a new model, because serious problems were added to the Gore Tex fabric! ... I don't expect a new Leica M, but the sensor that presents a problem should pay them! ...

I agree with every word of Michali!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, marco febbrari said:

Why? What difference is there?

And why exactly are you complaining if you don't have a corrosion problem?

I'm not defending Leica here, IMHO they should have installed new sensors on each and every M9 and siblings back in late 2015 when the new sensors became available. But again, if you don't have an issue with your sensor, why are you complaining about a potential repair bill? 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there, 

i just found this topic, and even though I’m late to the party I wanted to share my experience regarding sensor corrosion on new replaced sensors.

I had my original sensors replaced on both my m-e and my m9monochrom in close succession somewhere around 2016 (not exactly sure when from the top of my head)

last summer I noticed new strange marks, similar to those I had on my first sensors before getting them replaced for free an the monochrom. So I went back to my reseller, who took a look at the sensor and stated it looked Quite like corrosion and I should send it in. 

as by then the replacement policy had changed I was less then thrilled at the prospect of paying 1500€ to have a ‘new’ sensor replaced. 
So before sending it in I contacted Leica, sent them files of my sensor and asked if there was a warranty on the replaced sensor. 
FYI there isnt!

they were pretty pushy to get me to send my camera in asap, the man even called me to convince me, and kept repeating corrosion on new sensors was unheard of and that it couldn’t be possible. i should go to my reseller and have them send it in for free.

yet I am sure it was no dust (i had the sensor cleaned by the reseller) nor any kind of mold. The stains were far to corrosion like to give any doubt.

i am also sure I had a new type of sensor built in, i checked it before shipping it off.

so after a few days at Wetzlar, i got contacted by my reseller, and they offered me the same conditions as they do for corrosion problems:

changing the sensor for 1500€ or getting a generous discount on selected new models.

after long thought i opted for the discount; as I am now quite sure that even a replaced sensor is no guarantee for a problem free m9m experience. 
i still mourn my CCD sensor, but I got an MM CMOS for half the price and dont have to fear corrosion anymore.

as for the contact with wetzlar; i never heard of them again; after they received the camera the Only feedback about my camera I got was the offer handed to me by my reseller. I send an email to the man I had on the phone before sending the camera in, asking if i was right in the assumption that I did have corrosion on the new sensor or in case this wasnt so, what the actual problem on my sensor had been. 
I never got a statement or answer to this.

now you can make up your mind about this; i made mine...

5 hours ago, spako said:

Hi there, 

i just found this topic, and even though I’m late to the party I wanted to share my experience regarding sensor corrosion on new replaced sensors.

I had my original sensors replaced on both my m-e and my m9monochrom in close succession somewhere around 2016 (not exactly sure when from the top of my head)

last summer I noticed new strange marks, similar to those I had on my first sensors before getting them replaced for free an the monochrom. So I went back to my reseller, who took a look at the sensor and stated it looked Quite like corrosion and I should send it in. 

as by then the replacement policy had changed I was less then thrilled at the prospect of paying 1500€ to have a ‘new’ sensor replaced. 
So before sending it in I contacted Leica, sent them files of my sensor and asked if there was a warranty on the replaced sensor. 
FYI there isnt!

they were pretty pushy to get me to send my camera in asap, the man even called me to convince me, and kept repeating corrosion on new sensors was unheard of and that it couldn’t be possible. i should go to my reseller and have them send it in for free.

yet I am sure it was no dust (i had the sensor cleaned by the reseller) nor any kind of mold. The stains were far to corrosion like to give any doubt.

i am also sure I had a new type of sensor built in, i checked it before shipping it off.

so after a few days at Wetzlar, i got contacted by my reseller, and they offered me the same conditions as they do for corrosion problems:

changing the sensor for 1500€ or getting a generous discount on selected new models.

after long thought i opted for the discount; as I am now quite sure that even a replaced sensor is no guarantee for a problem free m9m experience. 
i still mourn my CCD sensor, but I got an MM CMOS for half the price and dont have to fear corrosion anymore.

as for the contact with wetzlar; i never heard of them again; after they received the camera the Only feedback about my camera I got was the offer handed to me by my reseller. I send an email to the man I had on the phone before sending the camera in, asking if i was right in the assumption that I did have corrosion on the new sensor or in case this wasnt so, what the actual problem on my sensor had been. 
I never got a statement or answer to this.

now you can make up your mind about this; i made mine...

Unfortunately, unless you have something to back up what you're saying, nobody will take much notice.

I have a couple of M9s, so I hope it's not true especially as I paid for my replacement sensors.  

@silverchrome personally I really don’t need anyones validation of whether what I am saying is true or not; I just share my experience and whatever you do with it is your business 😉

i hope your m9’s ( and my M-E for that matter) with changed sensor will remain unaffected by recurring corrosion. 

Edited by spako

23 minutes ago, spako said:

@silverchrome personally I really don’t need anyones validation of whether what I am saying is true or not; I just share my experience and whatever you do with it is your business 😉

i hope your m9’s ( and my M-E for that matter) with changed sensor will remain unaffected by recurring corrosion. 

That wasn't what I meant.  It wasn't a personal attack etc.  I was simply saying that is how it is around here.  

• Like 1

I attach a screenshot of enlarged views of my sensor, just a few of the many many spots left after a sensor cleaning Done by the reseller. And a pic of the sensor info on my camera

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by spako