Leica M9 Corrosion with New Sensor

Giacomo.B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask a question, for curiosity, no one had corrosion problems on M9 sensors replaced after 2017 ??

I ask this because in Italy someone without proof states that the modified sensors will have the same problems as the originals. Truth or Madness as I think? 

Ciao

Giacomo

I experienced the corrosion issue on two bodies, one I kept and continue to use with the updated sensor. So this is something I am on the lookout for when I read posts in forums where Leica Ms are discussed. So far I have experienced no re-occurrence myself, nor have I read a report of anyone else experiencing the issue with the updated sensor.  Early on the corroded sensors were replaced with one of the same design.  In that case re-occurrence was possible.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 minutes ago, Giacomo.B said:

I agree, among other things I had read that in addition to the sensor was also updated something on the motherboard if I'm not mistaken. It was thought that in addition to the sensor glass, a cause was the overheating of the sensor itself. 

Ciao

Giacomo

The sensor and motherboard are one unit that is always replaced in a single part.

Maybe he found an older blog or post. The new, corrosion-proof., sensor took about a year to develop. During that year  Leica did indeed fit corrosion-prone sensors as a stopgap. I seem to recall -somebody please confirm- that the fitting  of such a sensor does trigger a new five-year sensor guaranty.

4 hours ago, jaapv said:

Maybe he found an older blog or post. The new, corrosion-proof., sensor took about a year to develop. During that year  Leica did indeed fit corrosion-prone sensors as a stopgap. I seem to recall -somebody please confirm- that the fitting  of such a sensor does trigger a new five-year sensor guaranty.

Just a clarification: does that "new five-year sensor guaranty" refer to the latest, corrosion-proof, sensor? If yes, was there a similar term for the previous sensors? Does any happen to know? I'd be glad to hear, for I have been affected by a second ('old') sensor corrosion fault.

Paul

Edited by atournas

On 1/18/2019 at 3:43 AM, jaapv said:

I seem to recall -somebody please confirm- that the fitting  of such a sensor does trigger a new five-year sensor guaranty.

Good question - does anyone know for sure if a warranty is given when the new sensor is replaced, corrosion-proof or the otherwise?

7 hours ago, goatsby said:

Good question - does anyone know for sure if a warranty is given when the new sensor is replaced, corrosion-proof or the otherwise?

Leica state that a 12-month warranty is included when a sensor swap is paid for.

What happens beyond that is anyone's guess.

I guess that means if the sensor swap was free, you get nothing at all.

It isn't really an issue unless the newly developed sensor starts rotting as well.

4 hours ago, jaapv said:

Where do they say so?

http://us.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/Global/2018/CCD-sensors-of-the-Leica-M9-M9-P-M-Monochrom-and-M-E-camera-models

Yes, the part relating to the warranty is ambiguous.  I have interpreted it to mean a warranty is included only if the new sensor was paid for.

One of the reasons I have interpreted it this way is that Leica only offers warranties on paid repairs, no?

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Well, if the repair was unpaid it stands to reason that second one should be so as well - within a certain time, of course.

The guaranty is not that ambiguous: "on the same terms as a new camera" New cameras have one year and five on the sensor.

11 hours ago, jaapv said:

Well, if the repair was unpaid it stands to reason that second one should be so as well - within a certain time, of course.

The guaranty is not that ambiguous: "on the same terms as a new camera" New cameras have one year and five on the sensor.

Where does it say that the new sensor gets 5 years?

We might imply be able to imply that a 5-year warranty is included, because Leica determined 5 years as a suitable length of warranty for the original sensor, but that doesn't mean it is fact and true.  I remain unconvinced because Leica has broken promises in the past: didn't Leica issue a statement saying corroded sensors of all ages would be replaced free of charge in 2016 and then suddenly mae the repair chargeable in 2017?  If Leica can break a promise in respect of an unambiguous published written statement, I do not hold out much hope on a term that has to be implied!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, given Leica's policy on free repairs, I'm not convinced that unpaid repairs are given a warranty either.

The words that state a 1-year warranty is included may indeed be unambiguous but the paragraph containing those words follows the payment information.

It is that that gives rise to ambiguity. Not the words themselves.

I own an M9 and it would be great if there was a 5-year warranty on the sensor, but all of the above plus Leica's behaviour in respect of this debacle suggests otherwise. To me at least.

Edited by silverchrome
Typos. Using a phone, sorry.