Leica M-D or M10-D?

littlelio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/21/2019 at 1:33 PM, epand56 said:

I will never buy an M10-D, but I must say that I love the fake advance lever. I've always wondered why Leica didn't put it on all the digital Ms.
I like it for two reasons: 1) because the lever would take the place of the ThumbUp that most users find useful; 2) the lever would give the camera a retro-look that would make anybody think it's an old low value camera. I would like to have a fake advance lever on my M 240.

I think the notion that a film M is low value is relative 🙂

5 hours ago, kentishrev said:

I think the notion that a film M is low value is relative 🙂

I mean that to a thief the advance lever could mean "grandad old film camera" while a digital M sure means "quick big money" 
But I'm no thief, so maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

For me as an M-D owner the M10-D's biggest advantages (if you really need it) is the better sensor (better ISO performance in low light) and the option to use EVFs.

From an ergonomics perspective I like the M-D more than the M10-D and I think putting EV correction on the back panel is useless whereas the ISO dial on the original M-D was in a perfect position. I can understand that it was cheaper for Leica to leave the ISO dial on the M10-D where it is for the M10 but ISO is more essential for M-D shooters than EV correction and so I wish they had a dedicated design for the M10-D and not go the cheaper route to just remove the back screen.

Having said all this I personally will stay with the original M-D. EVFs only real benefit is if you want to shoot with Nocitlux lenses or bad eye sight.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, titan3025 said:

Having said all this I personally will stay with the original M-D. EVFs only real benefit is if you want to shoot with Nocitlux lenses or bad eye sight.

M-D works very well with Noctilux 1.0 and if need be add x1.25 magnifier.

The viewfinder of M-D is very good with plenty of contrast and no flare in contre-jour situation or tricky light (thanks the LED frame illumination).

Bad eye sight may lead to AF use (so no M can help, even M10, with Visoflex or not, I fear).

Love the concept of the M-D and M10-D. One a bit more purest and the other with a bit more flexibility. It's a personal choice. I went with th M-D, eventually picking up a end one since not seen often for sale. Unfortunately between needing another car and shooting with other systems, something got to give and plan on selling one of them, but at least I'll still have one to shoot with.

One thing I noticed and maybe it's just a perception on my part, but the metering in the M-D seems to be more center weighted than a M240...maybe to help the shooter who cannot instantly review their images and results in a slightly more accurate exposure. Seems that way.

Dave (D&A)

• 3 months later...

I changed my M10P to an M10D about 1 month ago. Was the best choice I ever made. I simply love the camera.

I really find the lack of screen not a big problem with my style of shooting, and I'm still getting great shots from the camera as I did with the M10P. 

As for the thumb rest lever, it's great. I love using my film M's advance lever as a grip aid so it makes perfect sense to me to have it here and in reality I use it pretty much all the time. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2019 at 11:09 AM, littlelio said:

Thanks Guys for the kind advice. And yes I did read the Long live the M-D thread! very helpful.

Due to the budet, I picked M-D in the end, with a used 35 Summicron. Yes I will miss the possible Visoflex on M10D, but for now I have other cameras for the paid work, so I will put M-D for personal use. If client is willing to pay for manual Leica work, then I guess in the future it can fund me to buy another one (take forever to gather the money?! lol)

I am excited with my first Leica, and I believe I will breath new air with all the photos. Passion is essential, but with paid work and my own photos, it feels different. I have had enough pressure so finally, there is silence and nothing between me and the camera, finally.

I’m still using my M8 with no preview of the image, the close I can get compared to a film M, shoot DNG only or sometimes DNG + jpeg using micro sd cards. Transfering to my iPhone camera roll is easy. An M10-D is out of my budget and I have no need for an evf or other possibilities with the Fotos App. At this moment I’m looking for the M-D. I like that ISO dail and for me it comes closesd to a film M. It’s only a consideration at this moment , but I’m tempted. Found some nice sh MDs. To be continued....

Best

I think M10 sensor is ISO invariant* which is also a huge thing considering how much more recoverable underexposed DNGs will be.

M240 / MD does pretty well too but forget about fidelity if you suddenly notice you need to push shots that you took at ISO 3200. With M10D you can be much more safer with the exposure and leave a constant -0.7 compensation on for example.

*) At least more so than the M240/M262

• 2 months later...
On 1/15/2019 at 1:53 PM, Cami said:

Think that was a wise choice!  For the last two years every single day I've been carrying  an M-D with Summicron 35mm and I love it!  

Recently I've was considering the M10-D because of the 0.72 vs 0.68 rangefinder (since I wear glasses) but turns out it was better to get a diopter and shoot without the glasses. Also the M-D battery last forever (1800mAh vs 1200mAh) and even though the M-D has an older sensor it still captures amazing images. Think both the M-D and M10-D would provide a "film-like" experience when taking pictures but I couldn't justify the extremely steep price of an upgrade  (my wife would have dump me too) when the M-D is still amazing!

Hi, did you notice any drop in battery lifetime when upgrading to firmware 1.0.0.4?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 5:23 PM, Bobby said:

Hi, did you notice any drop in battery lifetime when upgrading to firmware 1.0.0.4?

Sorry for late reply - actually I've changed my M-D for an M10-D - battery life is still really good even though the battery is smaller than the M-D (but not having a screen saves a lot of battery) - cheers!

23 hours ago, Cami said:

Sorry for late reply - actually I've changed my M-D for an M10-D - battery life is still really good even though the battery is smaller than the M-D (but not having a screen saves a lot of battery) - cheers!

Any perceived advantages to the newer M-D over the old one? 

On 1/10/2020 at 4:40 PM, oldwino said:

Any perceived advantages to the newer M-D over the old one? 

Body slightly slimmer?

Other than that all the hi-tech changes were (IMO) very much for the worse and, having tried both, the absolute opposite of why I chose the M-D 262.

YMMV.

Philip.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Why not get both?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...