Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi.  I'm new to the CL.  It's the first digital camera I've owned that feels like a film camera.  I love it in every respect but I'm afraid of that sensor.  How frequently do you need to clean your sensor?  If I frequently change lenses, does that mean I need to clean it more often?  Does anyone have an idiot proof but effective way of sensor cleaning?  Thanks for you help.  Did I mention how much I like this camera?  Carl

I've dusted off the CL's sensor twice since July. Both times, I just took the lens off, faced the body towards the floor, and blew off the little particles of dirt that were there with a Rocket hand blower. It hasn't needed anything else as yet. 

I generally only find it necessary to do this when I'm going to make photos with one of the pinhole gizmos. That's when any dust on the sensor is going to be most visible. Most of my shooting is at wide open to f/5.6, most of the time, and the image of a dust speck is usually just too diffuse to see. 

No need to be afraid, although the vendors of costly cleaning kits prefer that you quake with fear.

Changing the lens does not automatically bring in noticeable dust. A change in the wind is worse, so get into a car, a building, or a calm nook before you change. Turn the camera off first, of course, and tilt the camera downward.

Clean when you see a problem. As ramarren reports, blowing removes most dust. He uses a Rocket blower. I use a syringe bulb like the one you may have in your medicine cabinet - with a microfiber sheet over the nozzle to keep the dust inside it from contaminating.

If you must use a liquid method, a high-percentage alcohol liquid is good; nothing with ammonia! Swab with a microfiber sheet wrapped over a soft straight edge, for example, the non-working end of an old-fashioned spring-loaded clothespin. Sensor cover glass is tough, so don't be afraid to apply reasonable pressure.

55 minutes ago, Chuck Albertson said:

No canned air.

Why " No canned air" ?  

"Canned air" typically has propellants in it that can spit out of the can. If any of that goes onto a sensor cover glass, it can stain it. It also is generally too intense a forced stream of air for shutters to tolerate. 

A hand blower is the right tool for a gentle puff of air to dislodge dust particles. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In France, Leica stores clean sensor for free. If you bought it directly from them. Otherwise, you have to pay a small fee. 

I normally use a bulb blower. I had a blob twice. The Eyelead stamping tool took care of it in a couple of minutes. In general, I don't think that this camera is specifically prone to dust. For one thing, Leica increased the cover glass-sensor distance, I've been told, to make minor dust less visible. It is very easy to clean too, with the sensor very accessible.

Thanks for the input.  I did some white surface tests (focus at infinity, white clean wall, various apertures, in Lightroom turn on visualize spots in the spot removal tool) and, while I don't see any dust (after using a bulb blower), I see something that might be a dried condensation spot (a darker circle).  I live in the northeaster US and it's been cold lately.  I never change lenses while out in the cold and wait until the camera is back to room temperature before even taking the camera out of the case.  I suspect it's easy to clean (with a swab).  The spot is somewhat noticeable at f16 but isn't visible at 5.6.

If you don't see it, don't clean it -why should you?

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

For one thing, Leica increased the cover glass-sensor distance, I've been told, to make minor dust less visible. 

This was also mentioned in the article I linked in the M11 speculation thread from photobasecamp, which provided hints of M evolution based on that photographer’s visit to Wetzlar (interestingly, the link is currently unavailable).  He was told of this cover glass spacing.

Fuji reportedly did this to extreme... a 9mm gap... with the Fuji GFX-50 sensor implementation.  Not surprisingly, user reports consistently mention lack of (visible) dust with the GFX.

Jeff