Affordable for an M3

Nicushor

Hard to answer your question succinctly, as nobody knows what type of photographs you like to take or the type of image you prefer, whether you insist on a Leica lens or another manufacturer's excellent lens.. The easiest answer is a 50mm Summicron as an excellent all-round lens (different versions paint the canvas differently), but most of the more modern ones are above your budget. If I was just starting out and had little experience with rangefinder cameras, such as the M3, I'd choose a 50 because that is ideal for its viewfinder, although I used a 35mm Summaron on an M4 and M2 for about 10 years years before purchasing a 50 because of its classic rendering and a viewfinder which was more accommodating to that focal length. Whatever you do, try to get to a shop selling Leica gear to actually try some different lenses on your body and see what is ergonomically most comfortable - some have focusing tabs, some have mere scalloped focusing rings, and only you can determine which best fits your shooting style and budget. I was lucky when I got my first Leica, as a friend had a variety of lenses which he let me borrow for about a month so I could make an informed decision.

Edited by spydrxx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As an addition: you would be hard put to find "bad" lens. All are good, they are merely different. A Summaron 2.8 3.5 cm might be a good choice, you would need a goggled version on the M3, or the Summicron as mentioned above, but I would prefer the Canon LTM 50/1.8 in that case. It is arguably a better lens than the Summicron 50 of the time, and good examples will cost in the order of 250$ including adapter.

You could also look at a more modern Voigtlander lens.

• Like 1

I have tried many 50mm lenses on film M, including M3.

What is your definition of brilliant lens on film camera?

The next is IMO....

If you are trying to achieve digital photography like results then affordable lens is Planar 50 f2 ZM.

It is very neutral, no focus shifts lens. Sharp, no defects. It is as good as any older and current Summicron 50 lens, just not as small in size.

Next to it is Ultron 50 1.5 ZM lens and it was one of my favorite not Leica priced lens on M3. More interesting than Planar on BW film. Just must be careful not to burn the curtain at f1.5.

Those are new or like new lenses available under 1K$.

Another 400-500$ lens family is Elmar. Coated 50 3.5 and first versions of f2.8 are possible to find in this price range.

Last one  made Elmar-M 50 2.8 is more expensive with more refined rendering, but still very interesting lens  comparing to Summicrons. 

It is under 1K$ if used lens.

Another type is old Canon LTM lenses. All withing 400$ or actually less. Not ideal rendering, but nothing really wrong.

50 1.8 and 50 1.4.  Both are prons to haze. Have to be very careful to get one without haze. Some of them have it not removable.

And if for some reason you will need to pay as less as possible for the  lens, here are the FSU.

Black Jupiter-8, White Jupiter-3. Those are nice on BW. Industar-69 L/D is sharp lens and good on color film.

Those are 10-150$ lenses.

After trying Leica, Zeiss, Cosina, Canon lenses on film, I prefer Jupiter-3 lens. I have last type of Summicron to sell. I have tried all classic Summicrons on film M and prefer Jupiter-3.

But my definition of brilliant lens might be very different from yours :).

M3, J3, darkroom print.

M3, Nokton 50 1.5 ZM, also darkroom print.

Oh, nine dollars lens. Industar-26M. My first ever lens to take visible pictures :)

Also on M3 and darkroom print.

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 3

Nicushor: I'd agree with Ko Fe. regarding the "authentic" Leitz 50mm Elmar f/2.8 - a lens you could have bought new with an M3 camera in 1958 (I think it came "standard" on the budget M2):

https://kenrockwell.com/leica/50mm-f28.htm

Usually around $350-400.

There was a "re-issue" from 1995-2007 or so (designated 50mm Elmar-M) that is more expensive (around $700-900), but has more modern coatings.

There was also the original screw-mount 50mm Elmar f/3.5 from the screw-mount cameras, which can be adapted to M3 bayonet mount with a simple ring adapter. Only slightly cheaper than the original f/2.8.

I'd also agree with Ko. Fe. in recommending the Canon screw-mount (a.k.a. "Serenar") 50mm f/1.8. A bit soft at f/1.8-2.8, but amazingly modern, "brilliant," and crisp at smaller apertures.

https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/s18.html

Sometimes priced as low as $200. I've used that on both an original Canon P camera - and for a while on the M10 (50mm is not really my preferred focal length, but I gave it a whirl due to the price). Available in both the all-chrome early (1951) version, and in black+chrome from around 1960.

One of those lenses that made people take the Japanese camera industry seriously.

(Canon 50 f/1.8 at about f/4 on Leica M10, 2018)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

I join the advice on the Elmar 2,8 of the era : budget-wise, is better an Elmar in very good conditions than a not so good Summicron, which would cost more anyway.

- It's an excellent lens

- Is very compact (retracted, of course, but even extended)

- It's very appropriate to an M3

- Finally, thinking that is your first M3 lens' set... don't forget that for the cost of a Summicron 50 you can buy  Elmar 50 + Elmar 90... ;)   

Edited by luigi bertolotti

7 hours ago, adan said:

Nicushor: I'd agree with Ko Fe. regarding the "authentic" Leitz 50mm Elmar f/2.8 - a lens you could have bought new with an M3 camera in 1958 (I think it came "standard" on the budget M2):

Usually around $350-400.

There was a "re-issue" from 1995-2007 or so (designated 50mm Elmar-M) that is more expensive (around $700-900), but has more modern coatings.

There was also the original screw-mount 50mm Elmar f/3.5 from the screw-mount cameras, which can be adapted to M3 bayonet mount with a simple ring adapter. Only slightly cheaper than the original f/2.8.

earleygallery replies............There was also an M mount 50mm f3.5 Elmar which is basically the Red Scale screw mount lens but it's actually harder to find than the 2.8. I have a 2.8 and a 3.5 (screw version) and from my limited 'tests' the 3.5 is actually a better lens. The 2.8 is a tad softer wide open until about f5.6 where they equal out.

You can't go wrong with any of them but if you buy a screw mount go for the Red Scale version (last of the line and coated optics).

I am also a fan of the Skopar lenses, the 50 is said to be excellent too.

Edited by earleygallery

10 hours ago, adan said:

Usually around $350-400.

I'd also agree with Ko. Fe. in recommending the Canon screw-mount (a.k.a. "Serenar") 50mm f/1.8. A bit soft at f/1.8-2.8, but amazingly modern, "brilliant," and crisp at smaller apertures.

https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/s18.html

Sometimes priced as low as $200. I've used that on both an original Canon P camera - and for a while on the M10 (50mm is not really my preferred focal length, but I gave it a whirl due to the price). Available in both the all-chrome early (1951) version, and in black+chrome from around 1960.

One of those lenses that made people take the Japanese camera industry seriously.

(Canon 50 f/1.8 at about f/4 on Leica M10, 2018)

Wow for the eyes. Very sharp. Was this handheld?

I would suggest also looking at the 50mm f/3.5 Elmar-M, the coated, M-mount version of this lens (optically equivalent to the last "red scale" screw mount version) that preceded (and briefly overlapped with) the original 50mm f/2.8 Elmar-M.  This is not a well-known lens, but many who do know it consider it superior to the original f/2.8.  It is also significantly lighter than the f/2.8.  I find it gives lovely results.  There is a fine looking one on eBay right now for a bit over $300.

I have both the 3.5 and 2.8 versions of the Elmar 50 in M mount from about 1960. Note that although these are M mount, they are not called Elmar-M, as that designation was not used back then.

Both are fine lenses, and from f3.5 on I think my 2.8 is a hair better than the 3.5.

The Elmar 2.8 was the first Leica lens I used, back around 1967, so I have a soft spot for it.

You might want to consider what your next Leica body might be.  With an M3 you have many options with 50mm.  Going with a 35mm requires either goggles or an external view finder.  Going with a 28mm or less requires an external finder.  I bought a 50mm DR to go with my M3 and afterwards learned that it will not work with any digital Leica.  Since I use a 50mm often, I had to buy another 50mm compatible with digital.  Owning two (or three) 50mm is not a bad thing, but it would be nice to have your first lens be compatible with other bodies.  In any event, good luck.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/26/2019 at 12:20 PM, Peter Zapp said:

1. Buy Leica, rather than off-brand budget. 

2. Buy contemporary, post-war coated M-lenses are good enough by today's standards.

3. If you have to economise, buy slow rather than fast, buy only one rather than many. 

I respectfully must differ.

The Nikkor and Canons of the 1950’s were easily a match to Leitz glass and 60 years on, tend to be found in better condition; less haze and damage to (soft) front elements as is often the case with Werzlar’s output. Wasn’t until the 50 Rigid/DR, 35 Summicron 8-element and 35 Summaron that Leica finally took Japanese challengers seriously by upping their game.   

• Like 1

Voigtlander 50mm as recent as possible. I wouldn't bother with a goggled 35 on an M3 as your first and only lens as the point of an M3 is to enjoy the viewfinder with a 50mm or longer lens. 

A leica lens for 500 is going to be terrible/really old/scratched/hazy/dirty or everything together

Edited by maximilianm3