How sturdy / robust is the M240 compared to the M9?

Me Leica!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, poli said:

Yes.  I realised after typing my foil idea that it was kind of silly. 😂 

i’d better never take a plane again! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:42 AM, pico said:

Foil? No. Cosmic rays pass through everything, and some pass through the Earth as if it were not there.

complete rubbish :lol:

…..and as an aside, NASA used kitchen foil to wrap cables on its Voyager probes

Edited by Guest

After my last international flight, my M 240 was ok, but I found a couple hot pixel lines in my right eye. I was about to pack and send myself to Leica CA. However, when my wife knocked me on my head with a rolling pin because coming home too late, last night, anything was solved and the hot pixels went off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

15 hours ago, hemlock said:

complete rubbish :lol:

…..and as an aside, NASA used kitchen foil to wrap cables on its Voyager probes

That is something quite different. Shielding a cable from interference is not protecting Silicon from particle impact.

On 1/15/2019 at 5:53 PM, jdlaing said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Not really funny. There are several studies finding a higher incidence of Glioma (a particularly nasty brain tumour) in transpolar flight crew.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

Not really funny. There are several studies finding a higher incidence of Glioma (a particularly nasty brain tumour) in transpolar flight crew.

....it’s something you quipped about years ago:

On 4/29/2010 at 11:47 PM, jaapv said:

Tin foil anybody?:D

Edited by Guest

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:34 AM, jaapv said:

True - I hadn't read those articles back then.  :(

strange to refer to them when you hadn't read them  :rolleyes:

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2010 at 11:47 PM, jaapv said:

It is not a non- issue. Hot pixels are probably caused by cosmic radiation, and in the stratosphere it is bad enough to give rise to a higher rate of brain cancer with airline crew on the transpolar route. There is, however very little to nothing to combat cosmic radiation. Lead does not work, at least not in practicable thicknesses. Tin foil anybody?:D

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

So what I gather here is that I'm more likely to get brain cancer than getting a hot pixel on my sensor?  Sheesh. Like I did not have enough to worry about like carrying around $20,000 worth of camera equipment in a $20 backpack in economy class!

On 2/1/2019 at 12:35 PM, JOCO34 said:

So what I gather here is that I'm more likely to get brain cancer than getting a hot pixel on my sensor?  Sheesh. Like I did not have enough to worry about like carrying around $20,000 worth of camera equipment in a $20 backpack in economy class!

and one day, we might have self-driving cars to worry about

🤣

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/01/man-says-ces-lidars-laser-was-so-powerful-it-wrecked-his-1998-camera/

• 2 months later...
Am 14.1.2019 um 11:09 schrieb Me Leica!:

Fairly self explanatory title, but I should elaborate.

I've been looking at the Red Dot Camera website, and their prices for used M240s are very much more competitive than they are in this part of the world (Japan; I've seen used M9s here at way more than Red Dot charges for used M240s). I've actually sent them an email to ask about shipping fees, etc, because even with the shipping and customs factored in, it may well work out cheaper. I was half considering an M-E I found over here which was easily the lowest priced M9 (variant) that I've found in Japan, with a replaced sensor, and even compared to that the M240s from Red Dot are priced lower.

Here's the thing. Assuming they send it by air, even with good packing (which I'm sure they'll do) it might get bumped around. And if it falls into the hands of a DDP (disreputable delivery person 🙂 ) then that's a drag too.

I remember reading about the M9 in this regard, and the impression I took away is that if you were unlucky you could knock the RF out of alignment by sneezing near the camera (hyperbole used for effect). I have similarly read reports which imply that the M240 is improved in this regard, but to what extent is not entirely clear.

I would appreciate hearing from people who have experience with these two cameras and appreciate all advice.

You can buy it in The Netherlands also, no boat or plain needed.

https://www.kamera-express.nl/product/12200569/leica-10773-m-p-body-typ-240-zwart/?channable=e13909.MTIyMDA1Njk&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtMvlBRDmARIsAEoQ8zRinHl_ohpxcbNA6zmqqCvX7bzXPTH56yPIPnrRov-82wwuxHGy0cQaAvcKEALw_wcB