Barnack challenge 36, curves - results

Pyrogallol

I was only disappointed by the very small number of entries. I read somewhere that the forum has about 55000 members? And only about 10 or so enter the challenge. There must be more people regularly using Barnack screw cameras who could enter. The Barnack’s Monthly is a similar event though not a “competition” and that has lots more entries, though it is well hidden down the topic menus. Any ideas why?

• Like 2

On 1/14/2019 at 12:48 PM, Pyrogallol said:

I was only disappointed by the very small number of entries. I read somewhere that the forum has about 55000 members? And only about 10 or so enter the challenge. There must be more people regularly using Barnack screw cameras who could enter. The Barnack’s Monthly is a similar event though not a “competition” and that has lots more entries, though it is well hidden down the topic menus. Any ideas why?

I think this is a product of the forum, most people here shoot digital, of those who shoot film only a few will use a screw mount camera, and of those only a few will post a photograph. I will confess this was the first time I have entered one of these challenges, although I have two Barnacks I use them both infrequently, maybe once or twice a year, and that is probably typical of most film shooters like me. My M2 gets far more use.

However, I do enjoy these challenges and will make an effort to participate in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoops! I only just saw the results.

Congratulations to muellerman for 2nd and mnutzer & Pyrogallol for equal third.

Personally I congratulate all entrant because my view is 'if you are happy enough with your image to enter it, you ARE a winner'. So well done all.

Now to dream up a topic for the next Barnack Challenge, which I think should be slated for April sometime.

I agree with the disappointment regarding few competitors. I must confess I use the Challenge to force me to use my 111f and it is fun adapting its limitations to my normal way of working. Personally, I also find it difficult to navigate through the Forum to find relevant threads to the Barnack Challenge. I am thinking of ways to more widely and obviously publicize it across the Forum so it comes more obviously to the attention of members, regardless of which threads the follow. Any ideas welcome.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, erl said:

, I also find it difficult to navigate through the Forum to find relevant threads to the Barnack Challenge. I am thinking of ways to more widely and obviously publicize it across the Forum so it comes more obviously to the attention of members, regardless of which threads the follow. Any ideas welcome.

The challenge is the bottom item on the front page of the forum so should be findable providing you scroll to the bottom beneath the other topics.

• Thanks 1