Sam

24mm Elmarit portrait

Difficult to use wides for portraits. Worse problems are oblong skulls, big noses and bulging eyes though. The OP's model escaped this dreaded fate fortunately;).

vor 3 Minuten schrieb lct:

Difficult to use wides for portraits. Worse problems are oblong skulls, big noses and bulging eyes though. The OP's model escaped this dreaded fate fortunately;).

and is it the lens or how the image is composed? That photograph is really beautifull. I would not have assumed that it was taken with 24mm. I would have taken 35mm at least.

The 24mm is not a portrait lens for obvious reasons. This wasn’t a portrait session, but a casual snap of my wife with a lens and viewfinder I just acquired. With a bit of care with framing the distortion can be controlled to a certain degree and a decent people-shot can be made. At least to me it’s decent and exceeded my expectations for a pretty wide angle lens. 

Every Leica owner should have a copy of this lens in their bag. Mine is pretty much always on my M240.

This is a very nice shot indeed.

Thank you Andy. So far I’ve not found anything not to like about the lens. Crazy sharp, draws beautifully, and I really like the focal length as the 24mm was a fav back in my film days. I guess I could gripe about using an external viewfinder but I can shoot it reasonably well without one. 

I usually just wing it with the whole of the viewfinder frame, but use Live View when necessary.

I do have an external viewfinder of 24mm, but it's a PITA focusing with one viewfinder and composing with another. I don't have the EVF.

I have an EVF and Voigtlander viewfinder. The EVF is a last resort because of the lag when you shoot. The Voigtlander is quite crisp and looks really cool on the camera, but with practice winging it seems quite effective :)

50 minutes ago, stuny said:

Very nice.  F-chord fingering with a kapo, making it F-sharp

You're very observant :)