An accessory I would like to have...

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is an underwater housing for the CL. Now I am using an Olympus XZ1 in an E-050 housing, but I would like to upgrade the image quality.

I was looking at the EWA Marine U-AX, but I am not 100% convinced about the usability of these bin-bag ( ;) ) systems

Wider. I'll dig up a couple of Olympus shots today and post them (non Leica, in this context, of course) Don't expect anything great, the Olympus is simply not good enough, despite the impressive-looking housing.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A bit over the top for amateur holiday use... Disclaimer, this is about the best my Olympus does; I would like to move up...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I have an old EWA plastic bag that worked decently with my film Nikon cameras. But I never tried it with CL to see if it is working. I am often using Nikkor lenses that should be fixed inside of the bag; therefore, theoretically, it should work. But the bag is so old that I don't want to take the risk! 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jaapv said:

Is an underwater housing for the CL. Now I am using an Olympus XZ1 in an E-050 housing, but I would like to upgrade the image quality.

I was looking at the EWA Marine U-AX, but I am not 100% convinced about the usability of these bin-bag ( ;) ) systems

Underwater housings do not come cheaply. First you have to have the body housing. The lens port is sold separately. Then there are the lights. Lights alone will cost around $1,000 US. I just did a quick search on line. Subal makes housings for other Leica Models. They start around 3,400 euro. Ikelite, one of the leading manufacturers, does not make housings for Leica.

You would be better off getting a Gopro and light set up. Be sure to get some red filters. Our son is teaching school on Chuuk where he dives Chuuk lagoon and the wrecks. His set up was around $900 USD excluding lights. That got him: the Gopro, red filter set, light bar and arm, spare battery and a Joby Gorilla tripod. He already had a light he can use.

Edited by JayBird
  • Thanks 1