Leica M10 M246 mechanical failure - one after another

xiaoheli

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When a user get a Leica M body at 3x the price of a Sony or Nikon, we at least expect quality level to go with the price tag. With my M10 (2018) and M246 (2016) the least stressed parts start to fail one after another.. M10 got a cracked key frame and M246's frameline selector, which is NEVER used, is fallen off...  This is more fagile than my son's LEGO... Just repaired M10, Leica judged unilaterally it is NOT under warranty so 430EUR bill just paid... then M246 got this drama. Note I am not even professional photographer and only shoot in hobby times.... Just wonder am I just the unlucky one out of distribution or any user struggling with similar bizzar M camera failures?  Leica used to be life long campanion, I am afraid the latest models might end up staying at Leica service center longer than in my camera bag...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

You are unlucky. However, Don’t expect the kind of reliability you get with a Japanese cameras. I have had dozens of Japanese cameras and lenses with only a single repair. I have something Leica out for repair frequently. I wouldn’t run away because of this, but don’t expect not to occasionally use Leica repair. They are pretty good. Hand made.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, SMAL said:

How do you break the key frame? That’s not happening out of thin air.

You sound like Leica support 😀 ... Indeed it requires some skill to break it this way (and not break something else) even if you did it intentionally 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think you're unlucky.

I've never seen anything like the cracked piece around the direction button - looks like a cracked alloy casting (or is it plastic?). Is it part of the main body or a separate piece? I'd have expected Leica would be equally interested and concerned at how that broke. How did you talk to Leica: local dealer or Wetzlar direct?

Edited by LocalHero1953

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I think you're unlucky.

I've never seen anything like the cracked piece around the direction button - looks like a cracked alloy casting (or is it plastic?). Is it part of the main body or a separate piece? I'd have expected Leica would be equally interested and concerned at how that broke. How did you talk to Leica: local dealer or Wetzlar direct?

I agree. my contact is with Leica repair center, they sent it back to Leica Germany, then I got a notification, can only choose between accept the cost (430eur), decline and pay the inspection cost or give the camera back Leica for zero charge... No direct contact with Leica dealer (they always refer you to talk to service center anyway). It is not part of main body and doesn't cost much to change, big part of the cost is the overall man hour and general inspection that comes with it...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xiaoheli said:

I agree. my contact is with Leica repair center, they sent it back to Leica Germany, then I got a notification, can only choose between accept the cost (430eur), decline and pay the inspection cost or give the camera back Leica for zero charge... No direct contact with Leica dealer (they always refer you to talk to service center anyway). It is not part of main body and doesn't cost much to change, big part of the cost is the overall man hour and general inspection that comes with it...

Well, yes. They have to dismantle the whole camera to get at it. 

vor 18 Stunden schrieb xiaoheli:

You sound like Leica support 😀 ... Indeed it requires some skill to break it this way (and not break something else) even if you did it intentionally 

Haha, but I am just genuinely curious. How in the world did that happen? Did your drop it? 

vor 3 Stunden schrieb xiaoheli:

It was well taken care of... 

I do you make a secret out of it? I mean this will be in no way a guarantee case. You’ll pay that for sure. That frame doesn’t break by itself. 

You initial post complains about Leicas quality or about your bad luck with them, yet you give me the impression you messed something up and you try to hide it. I would like to know which situations to avoid to not break my camera. 

5 hours ago, SMAL said:

I do you make a secret out of it? I mean this will be in no way a guarantee case. You’ll pay that for sure. That frame doesn’t break by itself. 

You initial post complains about Leicas quality or about your bad luck with them, yet you give me the impression you messed something up and you try to hide it. I would like to know which situations to avoid to not break my camera. 

I hope we have a conversation with some basic repsect.  If I had any noticable event that may harm the camera I would not complain here in the first place, the fact that I ask for similar cases if any from fellow community member is to understand myself and hopefully prevent it. The camera is not abused to my best knowledge and that is exactly what made this case bizzar. Your question from the start suggests as if I knowingly did something to the camera and won't let go tour assumption until you hear what you want to hear. That is why I keep the answer (to you) short. If you have any insight of similar cases please share, if you don't please show courtesy by giving space to other members.

7 hours ago, TG14 said:

Dont understand this part. What does it mean?

I did not spend time on this but I assume it is a standard option in the cases when certain camera damage is beyond repair - i.e. cost of repair is higher than the residual value of camera, then we can choose not to pay anything and use whatever value is left in the broken camera to cover the inspection cost and be done with it... let's hope we dont have to use that option too soon:) 

The hole in the shaft of the frame change lever looks as if it has been drilled and tapped off-centre, to the extent that the shaft has split, from the hole being too near the edge. If this is the case, it is a manufacturing fault, which Leica should correct FOC.

Don't give up on the first response from Leica - argue your case. I had the lens release button on my CL drop off and the fixing screw drop into the innards of the camera. When I was packing the camera and lens up to return to Leica, I noticed what looked like manufacturing debris behind the front element of the lens (this is a sealed group, so not a location where external debris could enter during use). The camera and lens were a few weeks old when this occurred. Leica wanted to disassemble both camera and lens to repair. I refused to accept this and demanded new replacements for both, on the grounds that I had bought a new camera and lens, not repaired/refurbished items. It took a lot of discussion but with the support of my dealer, Leica finally agreed and replaced both with new items. 

OTOH, the damage to the ring round the direction selector does not look like faulty manufacture and if the camera has never been dropped, I would suggest has come from pressure in a bag or when packed in luggage. 

Wilson