MP ISO dial

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just bought a second hand MP and found out that the ISO dial itself was rotating around. 

I thought it was normal at first but then the ISO dial got stuck as shown in the photo and it does not rotate freely anymore just a bit wobbly now. 

Would this affect the camera's functionality or can I just leave it like this? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The MP has a meter so the ISO dial should turn to reflect the film speed, unless you plan to go meterless for the length of your ownership. Nevertheless, your MP lost a major function so I’d talk to the seller about a return or compensation if it were me. 

• Like 1

First question is how did the whole dial rotate to that position?!  The outer part (with white dot) does not/should not rotate, only the inner part with ISO numbers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keith (M) said:

First question is how did the whole dial rotate to that position?!  The outer part (with white dot) does not/should not rotate, only the inner part with ISO numbers.

The dot was centered so perfectly I didn’t realize it was on the wrong side! Please disregard my previous comment. Even if the dial worked in that position I’d return it or have the seller fix it if it’s still under warranty. If you ever wanted to sell, it definitely would be an issue. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Keith (M) said:

The outer segment of the dial was wobbly when I got the camera out of the box. I was testing the camera around by trying to rotate the inner segment and the outer segment rotated as well. I managed to rotate back to the right position now but I do not like it being wobbly. 

The ISO dial is notoriously difficult to change (it is actually quite easy once you learn the knack of applying the correct pressure). I suspect the previous owner applied rather too much pressure to the wrong part of it and twisted the dial itself rather than the inner part. I no longer have an MP to check but the dial must be attached to the back in some way other than just glued on (if it was just glue, the OP's would have presumably fallen off by now). It might be a simple fix to "retighten" the dial.

39 minutes ago, wattsy said:

The ISO dial is notoriously difficult to change (it is actually quite easy once you learn the knack of applying the correct pressure). I suspect the previous owner applied rather too much pressure to the wrong part of it and twisted the dial itself rather than the inner part. I no longer have an MP to check but the dial must be attached to the back in some way other than just glued on (if it was just glue, the OP's would have presumably fallen off by now). It might be a simple fix to "retighten" the dial.

The film pressure plate would need to be removed (four tiny screws) to expose the rear of the dial.

• Like 1