Clamour for an X3

Donut

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The X1 was, if I recall, the first true compact, fixed lens APSC camera. The X2 improved upon that and the X113 was a dream. But that was in 2014, and its ISO performance and AF speed could do with what would be a much update. 

Leica has mentioned that the CL is an effective replacement for the X series. The beautiful sensor produces images very close to that of the M; its AF speed is now reasonably fast; and the size and dimensions - especially when used with the 18mm - is certainly X sized. And let's not forget that beautiful viewfinder. 

However, I would argue that the CL does not offer the same straightforward, no nonsense manual simplicity of the X series, which is what set the X apart from everything else. Those beautifully engraved and dedicated aperture and shutter speed dials made its operation effortless. While I did try the CL, and was impressed by the image quality, I did find the non-labelled, multi functional top dials something of a pain, and often found that, while in busy areas, the dials could inadvertently change the settings, which was a constant source of frustration. 

In this respect, I personally hope that we will see either a CL 2 that adopts the X operational philosophy, or alternatively, a new X3. I would be fine with the return of the 2.8 Elmarit, the 1.7 Summilux, or if they somehow managed to cram a collapsible Summicron into an X2 sized body, then that that would be wonderful. Make that collapsible Summicron a manual pull out and you have something that would probably be more robust and nostalgically charming. 

In a recent interview, Leica did say that they were not ruling out the possibility of a fixed lens APSC compact camera, but it would depend on whether or not there is clamour for it. What say you?

Edited by Donut

Size is important.  X1 body size and analogue controls. Therefore let us not be too ambitious over lens choice. The excellent F/2.8 Elmarit could be retained, possibly in fixed format, that is no retraction. A modern processor would allow higher effective ISOs which would compensate for choice of Elmarit  or possibly Summarit..

An EVF is essential and could be achieved as in the D Lux Typ.109.

Retain simple Leica menu, as now used in the latest models.

Fast AF and effective manual focusing.

Easy fit in summer garment pockets. (Even easier fit in outer garment pockets)

Realistic pricing to allow popular uptake.

Future-proofed to allow economic sensor and processor upgrades.

My wife and I have used the X1, X-E, and the Vario X for many years. If an X3 was issued we would be the first in line to buy it. We had been M3 and M6 users. The style and handling is very, very much like that of the M Series. Here's hoping a business case can be made for an X3