Your experiences with CL+35f1.4ASPH-M/ CL+50f1.4ASPH-M/ CL+135f3.4APO-M ?

yst

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings Leica friends 😆

For those who have those three M lenses or either one of those three and a CL, could you share your experience how does the CL work those those lenses and the results? 

I have those three lenses but no chance or motivation to use or try on a CL yet...  what do you think?   (and I now have given a TL 23mm/f2)

Also do you think is it worthy to get a second CL to M-lens adapter, due to have more than one M lenses, and one TL lens?  (the little M adapter is expensive...)

My 35/1.4 FLE, 50/1.4 asph and 135/3.4 apo work fine on the CL. I have no experience with TL lenses but i don't see why you would need more than one adapter. Suffice it to remove the adapter when you intend to use a TL lens on the camera. Beware that the CL's EVF can be shaky with the 135/3.4 in low light. 

I occasionally use M lenses on my CL as well as TL lenses. In these circumstances it becomes convenient to keep adapters on the M lenses rather than leave one adapter on the CL, because you then have to remove it to use the TL lenses. If you only use M lenses, then one adapter is enough. Depends on how often you swap lenses, and how much such little things irritate you, versus the price of the adapter.

I have two adapters because I sometimes carry a Summilux-M 35mm and Summicron-M 50mm around with a TL zoom. The adapters then live on the M lenses in my bag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use M and R lenses on the CL a lot, and am happy with the results.  However, I will probably be first in the queue when (if ever) Leica eventually get round to introducing a TL 50 1.4.

With regard to adapters, surely if changing M lens on the CL you would just leave the adaptor on the body - if changing to a TL lens,  just remove the whole lot and fix the rear lens cap to the adapter.  Can't really see a need for more than one.  

Well, halving the number of actions to be taken to change a lens from two to one makes ergonomical  sense. Actually you even get more practical if you figure the juggling with rear lens caps in.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, yst said:

Greetings Leica friends 😆

For those who have those three M lenses or either one of those three and a CL, could you share your experience how does the CL work those those lenses and the results? 

I have those three lenses but no chance or motivation to use or try on a CL yet...  what do you think?   (and I now have given a TL 23mm/f2)

Also do you think is it worthy to get a second CL to M-lens adapter, due to have more than one M lenses, and one TL lens?  (the little M adapter is expensive...)

errr.... Leica has specifically designed the L mount cameras to work well with M & R lenses and as you are only effectively using the central part of the optics on an APS-C sensor you avoid any peripheral distortions and aberrations. Anything except possibly the more ancient Leica lenses will give performance as good or better than on an M or R body.

unless you intend to fully migrate to L mount lenses the only thing you are gaining (or losing) from moving from M to CL is EVF versus OVF .... unless you are migrating from film to digital ....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can you stack TL lenses the same way as M ones or are they too big for that? Just curious.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

8 hours ago, Boojay said:

I use M and R lenses on the CL a lot, and am happy with the results.  However, I will probably be first in the queue when (if ever) Leica eventually get round to introducing a TL 50 1.4.

With regard to adapters, surely if changing M lens on the CL you would just leave the adaptor on the body - if changing to a TL lens,  just remove the whole lot and fix the rear lens cap to the adapter.  Can't really see a need for more than one.  

There is one Summilux  50 mm, f/1.4 SL that is compatible with CL, but is quite big:

http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-SL/SL-Lenses/Prime-Lenses/SUMMILUX-SL-50

• Thanks 1

I use M and R lenses exclusively on the CL, and I fit the R lenses by stacking the R Adapter M on the M Adapter L. That means my M Adapter L is nearly always on the body. 

The key to whether you want more than one mount adapter is how often you change lenses and what your lens mix is. I tend to carry a maximum of three lenses and just carry ones that use the same adapter mix most of the time.