Breaking A Lance For The R9

mole73

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

after many years of using and trying different R-cameras including the Flexes i want to break a barrier for the last of the breed, the Leica R9.

To work with it is such a joy, specifically the light metering methods deliver brilliant results. Film loading is the easiest of all models I tried, the viewfinder is bright an huge.

The myth of the dimensions: in comparison to the R4 - R7 it is in another league that's right. But if you compare it to the older Leicaflex or their "direct" rivals Canon EOS 1V, Nikon F5 and F6, Contax RTS III there is not only elegance but also compactness in the design of the Leica R9. In my opinion designer Manfred Meinzer created industrial design at its very best.

Finally no longer spare parts are available. Do you think that for all of the rivals are these available? I doubt it. For me it´s no reason to leave it behind.

Personel conclusion:

the Leica R9 is a real Leica in every screw. It is the last in a long bloodline which lasted 44 years. We should give it the attention it deserves.

Robert

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Robert, I completely agree! On the question of the size, as you imply, despite its actual physical dimensions, the way it sits so naturally in one's hands completely belies what one might initially think. That's why I always suggest to a prospective purchaser actually to hold one, especially if they are a bit intimidated by the looks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No argument here.  I find the whole R9 experience just delightful (and with the dmr too).  I have other cameras, larger and smaller, both film and digital.  None gives me the same pleasure as the R9 & R9/dmr.  The camera feels just right in my rather normal sized hands.  I love the viewfinder and the metering—everything about it.  (And I know this isn't a dmr thread, but I do have to plug those 16-bit color files.  'Still a delight to work with.)

Edited by bcorton
  • Like 3

In complete agreement with you all!!

I hadn't seen this Post when I put my 2 cents worth about the R9 design in my post about Light Seals.

I have only had the R9 for a few days and it's already my favorite! It feels great in my hands and a joy to look at. Took the last images today and will be sending the roll off for development next week. Very exciting to see if I still recall taking photos in this manual manner. If I do, then I will always carry an analog camera with me in addition to the Digital (mostly with Leica Lenses). 

On 1/11/2019 at 8:44 AM, mole73 said:

Finally no longer spare parts are available. Do you think that for all of the rivals are these available? I doubt it. For me it´s no reason to leave it behind.

I wanted to get an R9 battery cover/door, so that on a day when my right thumb is behaving itself, I can use the camera without the Motor-R which came on it when I acquired. I spoke to Leica UK and they confirmed that they think no spare parts are kept in Wetzlar for R models now (they are going to check anyway). However, they added that they think that all the inventory of R parts were sold to Photo-Arsenal. I have asked Boris therefore, if he has a battery compartment door. I doubt his prices will be modest. 

Wilson