Starting with M-A?

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to buy M-A for my first Leica film camera. Since then to now I am still practiscing sunny 16 with my brain and ofthen meter +0.5 - +2 stop but films can handle it easy.

I choose M-A because the black chrome and leather but after I know about M-A-LA-CARTE ..... I wish I would go for MP lol.

To be hornest I think that M-A look way more pretty than MP standard. 

On 1/29/2019 at 11:17 AM, Rungroj Suppagarn said:

To be honest I think that M-A look way more pretty than MP standard. 

Yes, that's my opinion too. Already bought one?

Edited by Paul Verrips

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 7:08 PM, colint544 said:

I run a fair bit of film through my 1966 Leica M2. There's very little difference between an M2 and an M-A. I've had my M2 for six years, and it was my first unmetered M camera. With the first few rolls of film, I was anxious about how accurate I'd been with the exposure. I used the free light meter app on my iPhone.

But everything was fine, and I trust myself much more these days, and rarely either worry, or use the app much any more. You get used to guessing, and it's quite rewarding to make a nice wet print, hold it in your hand, and know that you really did create that piece of work, from start to finish. If in doubt, overexpose a little. Unless you're shooting slow transparency film, lack of a light meter is a virtual non-issue. Also, much more relaxing to not be chasing red LED lights around in the viewfinder.

Advantages of the M-A over the M2:

* The M-A is brand new

* Fast loading system

* Bright viewfinder

* Automatically re-setting shot counter

* Hot shoe

* Raised protective collar around lens release button 

Advantages of the M2 over the M-A:

* Recessed windows, less likely to get fingerprints on them

* Real, grippy vulcanite

* 100% reliable take-up spool (bit slower but some, including me, prefer it)

* Proper Leica script engraved on the black version

* Available in black paint

* Options on whether you want a self-timer or not, or a button rewind, which some prefer

* The simplest and most elegant frame-lines of any Leica M

* Depth of field notches built in to the rangefinder patch

* Smooth all-brass transport mechanism

* Compatibility with old-school metal IX00 film containers (near frictionless film transport, less chance of tram-lines on negatives, but pretty niche really)

* The M2 is considerably cheaper than the M-A, even factoring in a CLA

Best wishes, and good luck with whatever you end up going for.

https://www.instagram.com/colintempleton/

Excellent summary, just add one minor point: the back door in M2 is way much sexier than M-A 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khoa Nguyen said:

Excellent summary, just add one minor point: the back door in M2 is way much sexier than M-A 😁

It might well be but the day I choose a camera based on the "sexiness" of the back door is the day I move on to something else.

I have fussed about the aesthetics of Leica stuff plenty of times (and will no doubt continue to do so) but if there's only one thing I've learned over the years, it's that the only really significant question is whether the camera has a rangefinder or not. Some might argue that the M5 has a different feel to other M cameras and it is true that the M3 is not so great for 28/35 shooters. Otherwise, I'd suggest that all M cameras are largely interchangeable and functionally equivalent. That's part of the genius of the system.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, wattsy said:

It might well be but the day I choose a camera based on the "sexiness" of the back door is the day I move on to something else.

Everything else being equal and money no deciding factor: why not. Sexiness of back doors may be underrated 😎

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The MA is lovely got one.   If you  want a meter the Leica MR meter fits and works just fine.  You can get reconditioned  MR meters.  Failing that the little Voigtlander meter  also just sits on the top and does  its stuff.......... however I find the lightmeter apps  available  for android or IOS are remarkably accurate, and as most of us have a smart phone on us these days why not use that for metering saves carrying another thing .  That works for me but that's just me.

If I am shooting transparency,  will default to my M6, not that the M6 meter is any more accurate than my phone app,  its just psychologically reassuring.

The MA is great, but if only it was a  reissued M2. However I like my MA ,  not  because  it is in any way better than my other  Ms, but because one is buying the (current )  last all mechanical Leica , and with 60 years less wear and tear.

Nice topic to read. I use a M2 myself. when I bought it I doubted between the M6 and M2. Bring my first Leica, the M2 was lot cheaper. But to be honest the lightmeter isn't so much of an issue. Now a days you carry a phone with an app all the time anyway. Just buy what makes your heart beat. If I could afford one I would also buy a black chrome M-A. Isn't it much cooler to have something pure mechanical? 

• Like 1