4 hours ago, Timmyjoe said:

A long time ago, when I was a teen, I was in love with the Volkswagen Beetle, but back then they only were available in stick shift, no automatics. I didn't know how to drive a stick and was afraid I could never master it, so the Bug was not an option for me. I looked at other small cars that were available in automatic, but they were always "almost there" but not what I dreamed of. Then a wise man told me, get the car you dream of, and when it is your only available mode of transportation, you'll learn how to drive stick. So I did, and I did. 

Getting an M-A, and using it every day, you'll learn how to see and judge light levels.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Best,

-Tim

Love the story Tim and makes sense 

11 minutes ago, malfaris said:

Wow guys such great ideas and opinions, I really appreciate them all.

The idea of use my M9 to meter will work as I plan to take them both one 50mm and the other 35mm, start with M9 then set MA

sunny 16 from the name will work at daytime? 70% of my work in low light, as one mentioned he use his MP in low light/tricky, that might be plus for MP

holding and external meter doesn’t seem fun especially with people?

I really don’t care much about the battery thing / just it’s the look and metal dial

i really like the look of silver MA more than MP I don’t know why

As you notice I love the camera as a tool (RF) and it’s look, and not entirely for photography which I use my canon for that (boring but gets the job done) 

Don’t get more wrong it’s also about film it all started when I saw my daughter fuji instax photo that I got hook

If you want a lightmeter, you could also think about the Voigtlander VC II to mount on the M-A  https://www.35mmc.com/15/01/2015/the-voigtlander-vc-meter-ii-light-meter/

Sunny16 in daytime is really easy to learn. At sunrise or sunset, i think it's more difficult because of the fast changing lightconditions.

As someone else mentioned already, over the last twenty years I too have accumulated an M6TTL, an M3, and an M4. The M3 gets used always, the M4 is mostly a back up, and the M6TTL sits in it's box in the closet. Not really sure why, it's just the non-metered Leica M bodies just flow for me better.

Best,

-Tim

8 minutes ago, Paul Verrips said:

If you want a lightmeter, you could also think about the Voigtlander VC II to mount on the M-A  https://www.35mmc.com/15/01/2015/the-voigtlander-vc-meter-ii-light-meter/

Sunny16 in daytime is really easy to learn. At sunrise or sunset, i think it's more difficult because of the fast changing lightconditions.

I like it’s small maybe use it as start , my camera will look ugly though lol.

you are right about late afternoon light change constantly I noticed that today in the park with the family and I am mostly shooting in that time

5 minutes ago, Timmyjoe said:

As someone else mentioned already, over the last twenty years I too have accumulated an M6TTL, an M3, and an M4. The M3 gets used always, the M4 is mostly a back up, and the M6TTL sits in it's box in the closet. Not really sure why, it's just the non-metered Leica M bodies just flow for me better.

Best,

-Tim

When I heard that more than once here I was surprised but maybe it’s there uniqueness that make the camera more joyful to use

Looking at the thread I think, that sometimes the first answer is the best. If it wasn‘t for #3!

Why not get a near-POC M2/M4-2 from a dealer and use it for a month or two?

Wouldn't it make sense to know what the discussion is about from personal (inexpensive) experience rather than from strangers‘ quotes, who are solid but have the most different backgrounds?

By Easter you might be certain a M10 is what you want, or who knows what other camera model?

Where do you live Malfaris? 

vor 49 Minuten schrieb malfaris:

Love the story Tim and makes sense 

Love the story - buy the camera!

I live in UAE and the dealer don't have stock of film cameras or old film camera no demand for them I guess.

Better to have the option of using an in camera light meter (MP) than not (M-E), surely?

I have MP and M2. Nostalgia aside, I prefer the convenience of the MP for difficult or changing light. 

If I could only have one, it would be the MP :)

16 hours ago, malfaris said:

buying my new Leica film but not my first Leica( I have M9 right now). I felt in love at first sight with the MA

Why did you fall for an MA? Why would you wish to step back from the advantages that later models offer? Is like some kind of hair shirt thing?

a

Edited by pico

4 hours ago, malfaris said:

I like it’s small maybe use it as start , my camera will look ugly though lol.

you are right about late afternoon light change constantly I noticed that today in the park with the family and I am mostly shooting in that time

😇

Now I know why I put the black VCMeter II only on my Black M-A 😉

Just a warning if you buy M-A plus VCMeter II : for continual changing lighting, this combo is not practical as TTL meter of MP.

M-A + VC II, you must quit the taking scene from viewing, take your eye out of the finder to "meter-n-set-for-next-LV"

Not only they are nice to look at, but greatest pleasure in use:

Don't forget if not already done, to go to the M-A thread.

6 hours ago, malfaris said:

Wow guys such great ideas and opinions, I really appreciate them all.

The idea of use my M9 to meter will work as I plan to take them both one 50mm and the other 35mm, start with M9 then set MA

sunny 16 from the name will work at daytime? 70% of my work in low light, as one mentioned he use his MP in low light/tricky, that might be plus for MP

holding and external meter doesn’t seem fun especially with people?

I really don’t care much about the battery thing / just it’s the look and metal dial

i really like the look of silver MA more than MP I don’t know why

As you notice I love the camera as a tool (RF) and it’s look, and not entirely for photography which I use my canon for that (boring but gets the job done) 

Don’t get more wrong it’s also about film it all started when I saw my daughter fuji instax photo that I got hook

M6 without battery would work too.  This is my favorite M film body and you can always put a battery back in if you want.  Enjoy whatever camera you buy.

Best Leica is new Leica. Or newer. So, MP is the best way to start. 

If I could afford it, I'll buy it. And I'm one of those who started with meterless RF camera decades ago and using meterless Leica beater now. 

Yea I am leaning to MP it seem the best option , I think for my style of shooting it’s the way to go.  

Thank you everyone 

now silver or black? Just kidding 😁

8 hours ago, pico said:

Is like some kind of hair shirt thing?

You and I are from an era when meter-less Leica's weren't a choice.

In my neck of the woods the idea of 'learning to guess the exposure' wasn't a substitute for knowledge as it is now, and you were a schmuck if you read the back of the film box to see what 'Sunny 16' was, that was for amateurs where 'good enough' was the watchword. So rather than 'hair shirt' I tend to think it's a faux nostalgia, an invented reality where in times past it was always sunny and photographers were wild and carefree with their exposures. It's a bit like the hipster revival of vinyl records, they get nostalgic for a sound they've never heard before, while for many who remember vinyl the only thing they are truly nostalgic about is the album cover and it's vital function in rolling a spliff.

9 minutes ago, 250swb said:

You and I are from an era when meter-less Leica's weren't a choice.

In my neck of the woods the idea of 'learning to guess the exposure' wasn't a substitute for knowledge as it is now, and you were a schmuck if you read the back of the film box to see what 'Sunny 16' was, that was for amateurs where 'good enough' was the watchword. So rather than 'hair shirt' I tend to think it's a faux nostalgia, an invented reality where in times past it was always sunny and photographers were wild and carefree with their exposures. It's a bit like the hipster revival of vinyl records, they get nostalgic for a sound they've never heard before, while for many who remember vinyl the only thing they are truly nostalgic about is the album cover and it's vital function in rolling a spliff.

Well said

There are no right or wrong ways to take a photograph. Sunny 16, Matrix metering, whatever.  Same with focusing.  Just use the damn camera, whichever you choose.  If you become a slave to some rule, it’s not you taking the photograph any more.

I first bought an M3 and had it CLA'd.  Used an incident light meter and a Voigtlander reflective meter that mounted in the hot shoe.  I still use them but a camera with an internal meter gives you more options.  I bought an MP because it gives me flexibility.  I almost always carry the incident meter for tricky scenes.  

22 hours ago, malfaris said:

Yea I am leaning to MP it seem the best option , I think for my style of shooting it’s the way to go.  

Thank you everyone 

now silver or black? Just kidding 😁

How often you will take it outside and under sun?

I'm finding black M getting too hot, too soon if outside and under sun.

On 1/12/2019 at 12:13 AM, a.noctilux said:

😇

Now I know why I put the black VCMeter II only on my Black M-A 😉

Just a warning if you buy M-A plus VCMeter II : for continual changing lighting, this combo is not practical as TTL meter of MP.

M-A + VC II, you must quit the taking scene from viewing, take your eye out of the finder to "meter-n-set-for-next-LV"

Not only they are nice to look at, but greatest pleasure in use:

Don't forget if not already done, to go to the M-A thread.

I can’t understand why anyone would buy an M-A only to stick that horrible CV light meter in the hot shoe.  It’s an ugly and expensive carbuncle that’s limited to reflective metering and ruins the form factor of the M-A.

If you don’t know how to use a metering app on a Smartphone, carry a Sekonic Twinmate in your pocket and you’ll have the option of reflective or incident metering..

Otherwise, that’s a nice pair!

Edited by Ouroboros