Starting with M-A?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hi

buying my new Leica film but not my first Leica( I have M9 right now). I felt in love at first sight with the MA didn't see it in store just online. but I feel the MP is the right choice I don't know how to expose without a meter and the ideal of carrying a meter doesn't work a lot because I mostly for friends and family, but maybe a chance to improve?

have anyone got MA and thought a meter was the better path to go

I read a lot and it seem all MA owners are in love more than MP who some sold theirs for MA

I don't know what it is, but something very appealing about that camera 

I know M6/M7 is the way to start but I am not interested in them right now

Thanks

Generally speaking I think you'll find most users have gone from a meter to no meter as a matter of choice, rather than starting without a meter and then wishing they had one. After years of using a meter many people think they no longer need one because they are experienced, or so the argument goes....

If you have the means to buy a new camera I would never ever recommend you buy your first Leica without a meter irrespective of the camera I use. So don't get sucked into the 'M-A best camera ever blah, blah, blah'. If you feel you want a meter it's the right choice, and a sensible choice. And here is a secret not many people who sold their MP for an M-A know, you can take the battery out of an MP and rightfully claim not to have a meter should you want to join a debate.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 5

Whichever your decision may be between the MP and MA, there will be times when the other might seem to have been a better choice!  It has less to do with battery vs no battery, it’s more about lust. 

I have a black lacquer MP which, for very strong sentimental reasons and the fact I love using it, will stay with me until the end.  There are times however when a new silver MA with a silver 50mm summarit is compelling.  That’s when I have to remind myself that I’m a photographer and not a gear head.  

Make a decision, buy it and enjoy using it.

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 1

Whilst this isn't a helpful answer, I have both and they play different roles. Not having a meter is nice, it's so uncomplicated. BUT for low light shooting I prefer the MP - the meter is useful.

The M6 is a classic and you should grab one while prices are still low. Having two film bodies is really nice (and a luxury). Two different ISOs or colour in one and B&W in the other.

Good luck and let us know which way you go.

• Like 1

I bought an M-A as my first Leica and use a handheld meter.  I prefer to use incident metering over reflective metering when possible so a handheld meter is the right choice for me.  I also prefer a camera without electronics so I don't need to fuss with batteries or worry about the electronics failing in the future and not being able to get parts for repair.  Maybe superficial, but I also like the look of the camera without the battery compartment on the front.  Removing the battery to turn the camera into a meterless one doesn't fix that :)

If you don't mind carrying a separate meter then I'd go with the M-A. 

• Like 1

The "body" supports for the lens, which plays a critical role in translating the outside world to the film plane. That being said, a quality body should provide accurate shutter speeds, a light-tight environment, a scratch-free, smooth transport mechanism, and accurate focuser/finder(s) so as to allow you (the photographer) to recreate the image you intended. Notice, I avoided discussions about metering. If I need a meter, I use a hand-held quality light meter and prefer incident to reflected measures.

I've used a variety of "M" bodies for the last forty years and currently use only two M4-P bodies for film work and, reluctantly, an M8.2 on the digital work. The only "advantage" of purchasing a newer M body might be (1) a warranty (that hopefully you will not have to exercise), and (2) the likelihood that a decade or so from now you'll be able to have Leica repair the camera (at a considerable cost in time-lost and money spent) because parts for the older "M" bodies are no longer manufactured.

Just my 2-cents.

Edited by Tom R

A long time ago, when I was a teen, I was in love with the Volkswagen Beetle, but back then they only were available in stick shift, no automatics. I didn't know how to drive a stick and was afraid I could never master it, so the Bug was not an option for me. I looked at other small cars that were available in automatic, but they were always "almost there" but not what I dreamed of. Then a wise man told me, get the car you dream of, and when it is your only available mode of transportation, you'll learn how to drive stick. So I did, and I did. 

Getting an M-A, and using it every day, you'll learn how to see and judge light levels.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Best,

-Tim

• Like 3

On learning to go meterless:  Use your M9 as your meter, and copy the settings over to the M-A.  You'll soon get the hang of things and will be able to leave your M9 at home, especially if you use the M-A mostly for B/W.

More importantly, have a look at the MP and the M-A in person before you decide either way.

• Like 1

Spending thousands more on an MA compared to a M3/2/4 is ridiculous IMHO.  Of course, it is your money and you will spend it as you wish.  However, from everything I have read the quality of the classic Leica's for exceeds the MA.  And as far as getting an MA repaired easier than one of the classics, I bet they use interchangeable parts.  Why would Leica change the  shutter or viewfinder elements in the MA compared to the M3/2/4 etc?

2 minutes ago, ktmrider2 said:

Spending thousands more on an MA compared to a M3/2/4 is ridiculous IMHO.  Of course, it is your money and you will spend it as you wish.  However, from everything I have read the quality of the classic Leica's for exceeds the MA.  And as far as getting an MA repaired easier than one of the classics, I bet they use interchangeable parts.  Why would Leica change the  shutter or viewfinder elements in the MA compared to the M3/2/4 etc?

I agree that that M3/2/4 is a better buy than an M-A, for so many reasons.  My own pet M-A peeve: inability to take the classic IXMOO reloadable cassettes.  Runner-up:  the MP's battery compartment is still there but covered up, just where an M3/2/4 would give you a useful self-timer.  The MP itself is lesser in my book to the M6TTL.  But the OP has laid down his own parameters, and I digress...   His and everyone else's MMV, as ever.

My first Leica was a M9 but i quit with digital in 2014 and bought a M7. 

In 2017 i bought the M-A because i love the looks. I started with a VC meter and iphone but learned myself using sunny16. I wouldn't go back to a metered camera.

My workflow is so deliberating and results with sunny16 and M-A are good. M7 is stored in the cupboard.

• Like 1

I own an M-A and love it. I always use a handheld meter, however I also use an external meter when shooting digital. In my opinion it´s a common misconception that you don't need a meter because of the latitude of film. Sure it somehow works, but how ? Now and then you might be lucky with guessing exposure, however normally the human perception is really bad ! Also estimating the contrast range of a scene is sometimes really difficult. Sometimes the brightness of so called middle grey asphalt is higher than that of the blue sky and you won't notice. I am really wondering wether all this brilliant photographers can do magic and estimate exposure so precisely ?

Best Theodor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vhfreund said:

I am really wondering wether all this brilliant photographers can do magic and estimate exposure so precisely ?

You really should try this Theodor. For me it works when i'm travelling area's with high contrast scenes and even better whit the average weather in The Netherlands.

When i'm walking the sunny streets of Lisbon in springtime, i just know that it's about f11 in the morning and a while later f16 

2 hours ago, vhfreund said:

I always use a handheld meter

If you're always doing this anyway try guessing the exposure before metering. Over time you will see your 'guess' becoming less of a guess. You will see situations where the meter was fooled but your eye and increasing experience was not. Magic, huh? There will still be situations where the meter will be a blessing (interiors) but it can be fooled, e.g., a bright sky overhead that illuminates the top of the meter's incident light dome but the light from the sky doesn't actually illuminate your subject's vertical surfaces. Paul is right. Give yourself some credit. Millions of photographers have learned to shoot without a meter, even in the days of picky Kodachrome II. You can too. Your M-A expects it of you. 😊

• Like 1

Wow guys such great ideas and opinions, I really appreciate them all.

The idea of use my M9 to meter will work as I plan to take them both one 50mm and the other 35mm, start with M9 then set MA

sunny 16 from the name will work at daytime? 70% of my work in low light, as one mentioned he use his MP in low light/tricky, that might be plus for MP

holding and external meter doesn’t seem fun especially with people?

I really don’t care much about the battery thing / just it’s the look and metal dial

i really like the look of silver MA more than MP I don’t know why

As you notice I love the camera as a tool (RF) and it’s look, and not entirely for photography which I use my canon for that (boring but gets the job done) 

Don’t get more wrong it’s also about film it all started when I saw my daughter fuji instax photo that I got hook

Edited by malfaris