WHAT should I get as my 1st Leica camera? The M10 or the M10P? 35lux or 35cron?

Arly

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys! So my birthday is nearly coming and I finally have the courage to buy my very first Leica camera. I’m choosing between the M10 and the M10-P. Can you help me narrowing down what to get. I’m a huge 35mm fuji shooter so I’m having a hard time choosing between the lux and cron. And is it true that Hong Kong sells cheaper Leica’s? Please help me! I need help badly! Thank you

Well I love my M10, but if I had to decide between M10 and M10-P I would prefer the M10-P for the new shutter.

According lenses I prefer light weight , which is no big deal with the 35mm lens. For me the 50mm lens was always my favorite focal lens and for this I prefer the Summilux.  As next lens, in my opinion, for me the 35mm is to close. Thats why I decided to go with the 28mm lens and there the summicron is much lighter than the summilux. And I love this combination.

Greetings from the snowy Austria

Wolfram

One of the nice things about the M10 is the shape and size. I feel that the Summicron is a better match. Image quality wise I don’t think that there is a significant difference. In fact, in low light I prefer the rendering of the Summicron over the Summilux. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, strohscw said:

Well I love my M10, but if I had to decide between M10 and M10-P I would prefer the M10-P for the new shutter.

According lenses I prefer light weight , which is no big deal with the 35mm lens. For me the 50mm lens was always my favorite focal lens and for this I prefer the Summilux.  As next lens, in my opinion, for me the 35mm is to close. Thats why I decided to go with the 28mm lens and there the summicron is much lighter than the summilux. And I love this combination.

Greetings from the snowy Austria

Wolfram

Thank you for the help! I might get the M10 because many issues about the M10-P battery draining, pairing with leica app problems are surfacing. And wetzlar.com/ says that skin color is to warm, converts poorly to black and white and give disappointing results with vibtage lenses. 

They say that 28mm is too wide and 50mm is good for portraits. I’ll use my camera as our family travel camera so I’m thinking of getting the 35mm. 

8 minutes ago, jaapv said:

One of the nice things about the M10 is the shape and size. I feel that the Summicron is a better match. Image quality wise I don’t think that there is a significant difference. In fact, in low light I prefer the rendering of the Summicron over the Summilux. 

Thank you sir! And price point is much cheaper! Hahaha. I’m convincing my self to go with the summicron!! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Arly said:

Thank you for the help! I might get the M10 because many issues about the M10-P battery draining, pairing with leica app problems are surfacing. And wetzlar.com/ says that skin color is to warm, converts poorly to black and white and give disappointing results with vibtage lenses. 

They say that 28mm is too wide and 50mm is good for portraits. I’ll use my camera as our family travel camera so I’m thinking of getting the 35mm. 

Welcome and you have a big decission to make.

I can't understand comments about colour and b&w as both cameras have same/identical sensor and image processing software.

You may want to also consider a Voigtlander lens if funds are tight. 

Good luck with whatever you decide and enjoy.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I compared M10's and M10-P's shutter noise in the shop. The M10 was as quiet as my old M6 und therefore good enough for me. Plenty of black tape at home.

I lusted for M10-D, but I only have uncoded lenses. Under difficult light, for instance on stage, live view or image review is useful. To much hassle with the M10-D.

Regarding lenses, I am happy with my pre-asph 35/1.4 which I bought more than 25 years ago for my M6. Back then the asph was brand new, with many demo or second-hand pre-asph fro, upgraders for sale. This is different today. With the M10's 's high-ISO capabilties f1.4 rather is an effect rather than a technical advantage, to reduce depth of field or to achieve that "glow" (which strictly speaking is a technical flaw). 

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Arly:

If you will use it for family, travel. Consider the Super Elmar 3,4/21mm. It's great for traveling and you can make as good a portrait with it than with a 28mm because the lens has so little distortion ( but you have to consider the natural distortion of a 21mm so keep it leveled. ). I this is going to far, use a sum micron. Small and great at the same moment.  

• Like 1

I purchase my first Leica, the M10, along with the Summicron 35mm lens. Shortly afterwards, I purchased the Summilux 50mm. These two lenses will probably cover 80% of your needs. Save up a few bucks and then buy the Summicron 75mm.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

I used an M4 with 35 and 50 Summicron since 1969 - adding an M6 but the same lenses in 1985. Always happy with the Summicrons, never wanted a Summilux. On film I used the 50mm most, but on digital use a 35 most of the time. On my M10 I prefer the 35 Summarit 2.5 for size and handling, and great image quality.

I now have a Summilux and other fast lenses, and still prefer the smaller Summarit.

5 hours ago, Paulus said:

If you will use it for family, travel. Consider the Super Elmar 3,4/21mm. It's great for traveling and you can make as good a portrait with it than with a 28mm because the lens has so little distortion ( but you have to consider the natural distortion of a 21mm so keep it leveled. ). I this is going to far, use a sum micron. Small and great at the same moment.  

Thank you for the advice! I’ll look in to the reviews of the Super Elmar 3.4 21mm! Is the sharpness of that same with the cron? Thank you for the advice! 

The M10-P will hold its value better than the M10, if there's the possibility that you'll upgrade to a new body sometime in the future (which is likely in this digital world).

As for what lens to get, I'd recommend the 35mm f/1.4 Distagon ZM because the bokeh is clearly smoother than the Summilux ASPH.

34 minutes ago, raizans said:

The M10-P will hold its value better than the M10, if there's the possibility that you'll upgrade to a new body sometime in the future (which is likely in this digital world).

As for what lens to get, I'd recommend the 35mm f/1.4 Distagon ZM because the bokeh is clearly smoother than the Summilux ASPH.

Glas holds value, forget about digital bodies. When the M12 is there, difference between M10 and M10-P will be forgotten.

Edited by Gobert
  • Like 1

I got M10 + 35 cron. Perfect match.

I like the presence of shutter sound on the M10. With my experience, it actually helps a lot with portrait shooting when the subject is hearing and confirming what time you took a shot.

Remember to check how precise your RF is. My lens was out of calibration. (surprisingly and luckily not the camera itself)

Find a trustworthy dealer, so that they can handle any situation that requires custom service.

Edited by PhoebusXS

Am 12.1.2019 um 03:27 schrieb Arly:

Thank you for the advice! I’ll look in to the reviews of the Super Elmar 3.4 21mm! Is the sharpness of that same with the cron? Thank you for the advice! 

Don't worry about this lens. It belongs to the group of the best lenses.

If you got the money M10-P.

Price difference is minimal and ultra quiet shutter is very nice. 

However if you later want to upgrade M10 to M10-P, it will cost you serious money and a long trip back to Wetzlar. 

About the lens : Summicron-M 2/35mm asph maybe. With the price difference with the Summilux-M 1,4/35mm asph FLE, you can get a second lens a Summarit-M 2,4/75mm ?

Edited by nicci78

The M10 is quiet enough for most purposes, certainly quieter than the M9 and M8. Besides, you need a little noise when shooting. It reassures both you and your subject that a photograph has been taken. As for lenses, the 35 Summicron is one of the best lenses in the world. I've owned several. My current lens is a beautiful type IV made in Germany in the mid 90s. It is slightly smaller and lighter than the current version and pairs perfectly with M cameras. Like Bud James, I use this lens in combination with a 75 Summicron and find this pairing perfect.

I have several other Leica lenses (21/3.4, 50/2, 90/2.8, 135/2.8 & 135/4) but the 35/75 Summicron combo covers 95% of my photography requirements. Both lenses render colors beautifully and are impressively sharp. The kit rides in a tiny and all but invisible faded green Domkie F5X-A bag with a spare card, battery and sometimes an EVF. Ahhh, photographic heaven.

On 1/11/2019 at 4:27 PM, Arly said:

The 35 cron is very sharp but my type IV has a different look when compared to the 21/3.4. The 21 has a more modern signature and, from what I've seen, matches the look of the 35/1.4 FLE. Personally, I don't mind a slightly different optical signature since the subject matter the lenses are most often used for is different, i.e. architecture and extreme landscapes vs general pictorial photos. That said, I still tend to use the 35 for landscapes as it is far easier to compose with the 35 mm angle of view. 21 is often just too wide. But when you need a 21, there is no better choice than the SEM.