Ffordes stolen Leicas

PEF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Very bad news.

I'm a regular customer and visitor there. Really nice people and an invaluable resource since there are are so few proper camera shops left in most of Scotland. Or for many miles beyond, for that matter.

I hope their insurance is effective.

(It wasn't me, by the way!)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's already a thread here...

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/289910-stolen-leicas-please-share-and-make-them-too-hot-to-handle/

But mods, please leave this one in place, the more exposure it gets (no pun intended) the better.

I've dealt with Ffordes many times and it's been a pleasure each time. 

They're a lovely company to deal with.

I'm on my way to the Scottish Highlands for a couple of days photography and fly fishing. I'd planned to visit to see what they had of interest in their secondhand stock but there's probably no point now, even 'tho the drive there is lovely.

Ernst

I'm on my way to the Scottish Highlands for a couple of days photography and fly fishing. I'd planned to visit to see what they had of interest in their secondhand stock but there's probably no point now, even 'tho the drive there is lovely.

Ernst

My advice would be to go there, show support, and try to find something to buy.

• Like 4

I have tried to merge and move this thread to the Leica News section, but some posts appear to have got lost along the way.

Sincere apologies if yours is one of them, but the important information is here and since it is outside the bar, it can be indexed in Google and Bing.

Let’s hope the community can help ffordes get the stuff back.

Edit l: It looks like the posts in the Bar have reappeared.

• Like 2

Ernst

Agreed, the drive through Glen Affric is just wonderful and a bit of a 'mecca' for landscape photogs.

Pete.

• Like 1

Over the last few years I have sold photo equipment including Leica on Ffordes commission basis and currently they have a couple of my Hasselblad lenses for sale.  Ffordes have always been excellent to deal with and this theft must be a terrible blow to them.  Just how long I wonder did the thieves take to clear the premises of all Leica equipment? 

Memo to self - must (re)read the commission sale agreement in regard of insurance cover...

Not that easy to do. The numbers are deeply engraved.

Not so difficult to 'fill' engravings e.g. 

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?216809-Lapping-machine-case-example-pics-on-page-3&p=2436932&viewfull=1#post2436932   …. see post #35 … and 'brass' would be easier to fill than steel 

… and It's a known fact that there are more than a few ex-Leitz engraving machines in the hands of 'restorers' 

If a camera or lens has a reasonable resale value, doctoring SNs can be a cost effective 'pastime' … and it happens in 'far away places'. 

… and another example of miniature 'laser welding' and refinishing   https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?216809-Lapping-machine-case-example-pics-on-page-3&p=2580804&viewfull=1#post2580804

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire