Please help me shoot the moon :-)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, tonyniev said:

catching the moon at full moonrise is fun, here is one with canon 7D 400 mm lnes eq of 628 mm iso 2000 F7.1 1/80 shutter speed on a tripod...I use pohtographer's ephemeris app to know time and location (bearings) of moon rises etc

Thank you Tony.  Wow.  You are obviously very good at this!

5 hours ago, tonyniev said:

another Leica M10 with Elmarit 135mm eclipsed moon on a very cloudy morning, January 2018  iso 3200 1/15 

Very nice.  I actually have an M10 and a 135 and it wouldn't have occurred to me to use that but you make it look so obvious!

5 hours ago, gbealnz said:

Good advice all the above Vikas. When I shoot the moon, I use 1250mm of focal length, and end up with nearly the APSc chip covered.

Disagreeing slightly with the advice, clarity isn't the real essential at that longer focal length, stability is. Stability of the equipment obviously, and more so, stability of the atmosphere.

I've imaged in foggy conditions better than some "clear" nights, however this becomes more of an issue at longer than the focal lengths we are talking here.

Bear in mind you balcony will be above a hot asphalt area, and there will be thermals up and down, potentially destroying the image.

This is with the old T, and my 1250mm focal length scope. 1/800th sec, f5, ISO400.

Gary

Thank you so much.  What an amazing amount of good advise.  This is an amazing shot.  I take your point about stability and atmosphere.  Fortunately our terrace has a lot of planting the paved area is well shaded.  I actually had my tripod planted on grass.  Soon after sundown things cool down a lot.  But even at 420mm I realised ho critical stability is.  The image was all over the place every time I toughed the lens to try and adjust anything!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ricard0 said:

Wow!  Lots of "Lunatics" on this board!   😁

Yes!  I'm overwhelmed by the interest and the pointers I've picked up so quickly.  Now I just need another clear night!

• Like 1

Dear Vikas, this is the only way that I am aware of! ;)

CL + 55-135

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Last month the astronomic observatory here in Nuremberg invited photo amateurs to use the equipment of the observatory. To adapt the different cameras there were T2-adapters in stock. They have a refractor with 1400mm and a reflector with 6000mm focal length. The observatory is situated in the city, but not directly in the center!

Ten amateurs (male and female) with cameras of different brands followed the invitation. That evening the  seeing was very good. They advised to use serial exposure, to be able to delete the ones, that suffered from atmospheric disturbances. I came home with 177 exposures!

Jan

Edited by jankap

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 9 Stunden schrieb jankap:

Ten amateurs (male and female) with cameras of different brands followed the invitation. That evening the  seeing was very good. They advised to use serial exposure, to be able to delete the ones, that suffered from atmospheric disturbances. I came home with 177 exposures!

Jan

Would you mind showing us some pictures?

No Leica equipment was used!

APS-C camera with a lens of 1400mm and 175mm diameter (f/8). Exposure 1/125sec and ISO 200.

Jan

• Like 4

APS-C camera with a reflector of 6000mm and 600mm diameter (f/10). Exposure 1/60sec and ISO 400.

Single exposure, no stacking applied.

• Like 3