Sign in to follow this  
pridbor

R9 - Light Seals issue?

I have just received the R9 I bought in Europe a few months ago. It looks brand new and I have verified all functions that involve electronics and it seems to work like a new Camera.

One thing that I looked for and didn't find was "the rubber seals", you know those that in the other "R" Versions, I have R3/4/5 dissolve with time. So I was wondering if I have to go find seals for this one.

Is there supposed to be seals in the R9?? 

Thanks for your responses in advance

Preben

R8/R9 are supposed to have a black hard plastic ring in between the lens mount and the camera body. 

It was missing on my first brand new R8.

Leica has replaced that camera free of charge at the time.

I think the door sealing is done essentially by "tongue and groove" moulded in the door and body. The only exception is a foam rubber seal around the film identification window. (On my R8 this does leak light a bit if the camera is on its tripod in sunny weather with the sun playing directly onto the window - I simply covered up the outside of the window with black tape - I'm still capable of remembering what film I put in the camera.)

I have a film loaded and hope to have 24 images captured this weekend, and then it's off for development and we shall see if there's light, or not 🙂

Thanks to both of you!

Perhaps then use the camera as is for a portion of the roll, then put tape over the areas you'd be doubtful about, around the door edges obviously, then at the end, over the film "window".

That way you'll be less likely to ruin the whole roll, and maybe it will show where (if any) the leaks are?

Gary

17 hours ago, masjah said:

I'm still capable of remembering what film I put in the camera.)

off topic:   😂

The R8/R9 cameras do NOT have foam rubber seals on the camera back opening. As Masjah points out the sealing is done by a tongue and groove arrangement. A far more elegant way of sealing the camera than the seals on the other R series that go all soft and gooey after a few years.

Rolleiflex cameras use a very similar system - and Rollei certainly knew how to make cameras!

Edited by paulmac

To all,

I must confess that I hoped for an answer telling me that the R9 didn't need seals. 

I have the Camera sitting on my desk and I take great pleasure in its design and feel in my hands, why anybody can't see the beauty in this Camera is beyond me. I recent

Thanks all for your feedback

Preben

On 1/10/2019 at 2:14 PM, masjah said:

I think the door sealing is done essentially by "tongue and groove" moulded in the door and body. The only exception is a foam rubber seal around the film identification window. (On my R8 this does leak light a bit if the camera is on its tripod in sunny weather with the sun playing directly onto the window - I simply covered up the outside of the window with black tape - I'm still capable of remembering what film I put in the camera.)

John, 

You can buy new seals here http://procamerarepair.3dcartstores.com/LEICA-R3-R4-R5-R6-R7-R8-R9-FILM-CARTRIDGE-LIGHT-SEAL-WINDOW-SPONGE-FOAM-_p_2344.html?referrer=rss I also suspect that black foam draught excluder tape would work, if the angles for the corners were very neatly cut with a bevel gauge and a scalpel. 

Wilson

12 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

John, 

You can buy new seals here http://procamerarepair.3dcartstores.com/LEICA-R3-R4-R5-R6-R7-R8-R9-FILM-CARTRIDGE-LIGHT-SEAL-WINDOW-SPONGE-FOAM-_p_2344.html?referrer=rss I also suspect that black foam draught excluder tape would work, if the angles for the corners were very neatly cut with a bevel gauge and a scalpel. 

Wilson

Many thanks Wilson, that's very helpful.

Many thanks to all for your inputs! 

I have shot one roll B/W with my "new R9" and will get a roll of color film shot this weekend at a car show, and then it's off for development and the waiting game 🙂

Very excited to see the results

Thanks

Again