Leica USA, New Jersey - My latest experience.

Louis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The main button ( turn on/off) of my CL was much too stiff and the screen was blinking from time to time, but I was hesitating to send it to Leica USA, New Jersey, for repair. I was not very satisfied with their way of  operating for couple of years. 

About 10 years ago, their customer service was the best I had ever experienced in the US. But during the last 3/4 years, with the arrival of new Leica models and the bigger number of Leica users, it has been deteriorating seriously. They were not responding to emails or to phone calls; and when they did, It was hard to find any  knowledgeable person to speak to. One person couldn’t even speak English correctly and suggested her mother language was French. But her French was not any better. All communication with them was becoming a real frustration.

( Here, I must also point out that the Leica technicians  have always  been top notch.)

As lately I have been hearing about some changes and improvements, I finally decided to take my chance and to send my camera for repair. I must admit the change is real, indeed. Despite the holidays, the repair took only a couple of days and the communication with the customer service was excellent. They have been in touch with me several times a day, updating me continuously about the progress of the work.

The only thing that I found a little annoying and confusing was receiving the same information  from different persons, and sometimes, they were not even telling me the same thing! I believe it would be much more effective and professional to be in touch with the same person per case: or at least, they would try to coordinate in their assessment. 

So, my  Leica user friends  in the US, it seems the improvement is happily real and we are going to be in good hands again. I am sure with a little more time and experience, the customer service of Leica USA is on its way to be the best again.

I wouldn’t say that NJ technicians have always been top notch.  In 2013, a NJ technician explained to me over the phone that the sticky focus action on my 50 Summilux ASPH couldn’t be fixed without risking more problems.  So I sent the returned lens to DAG, who had it back to me within a week, working perfectly with smooth focus action, for 90 bucks including shipping.  

Wetzlar recognizes all the problems and has been trying for years to improve. Better (not just more) communications is certainly one such issue, so let’s hope this story indicates a trend toward broader and deeper upgrades. 

Jeff

Good to hear it. 

I haven't needed any service recently, but I know that when Carmen (I think it was) retired it was a huge blow to their service. I remember working with Carmen on service for some stuff as far back as the 1980s. I'm glad they're getting back on their feet. 

My service with Leica USA has typically been a good experience, so I have nothing to complain about. But it's always nice when you hear a good report since so many people seem to come to the internet for the sole purpose of venting their frustrations, real or imagined as they be. 

The issues in NJ are hardly internet generated; Leica has been working hard to fix well known issues.  Even two reputable dealers have detailed for me their own frustrations with NJ and their interactions on behalf of customers.

This recent report....see last section... is not the first that indicates Leica’s recognition and attention to repair, communications and customer service issues in NJ....

https://photobasecamp.com/leica-factory-future-product-news/

Jeff

I have posted elsewhere my satisfaction with NJ a few months ago.

Having talked with a very helpful lady at NJ I sent an image from my MM and they confirmed my fears that there were the very earliest signs of corrosion on the sensor. There was an immediate offer to replace at the subsidized rate or beneficial trade-in terms - even holding the previous rates that had been in force when I first spoke with them but had changed in the meantime. I chose to have the sensor replaced and it was back in my hands in less than one month.

As I said in my previous post I deemed that excellent customer service ... and still do. I sympathize with those who have had a less satisfactory experience with NJ but things do seem to be better recently.