Rangefinder calibration in iiig (same as earlier models?)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My iiig rangefinder is a bit out (both horizontally & vertically)

Is the technique similar to earlier models ie iiif ? I've done a number of searches (here, rangefinder forum etc etc) & while this question has been asked in the past there have been no successful replies - has anyone attempted this on a iiig?

I've managed to sort out the vertical misalignment at infinity with the "screw under the screw adjustment" but the horizontal adjustment could be an issue if it is indeed under the left (looking from front) circular chrome ringed rangefinder window. The chrome ring is very thin/flat when compared to the earlier models - I find it difficult to envisage a rubber tool or flexiclamp (don't have either) managing to grip/engage this ring effectively - I've tried to unscrew it with my finger/thumb (unsuccessfully). Maybe the horizontal rangefinder adjustment on the iiig is in a different location? Any advice/ideas??

Edited by romualdo

3 hours ago, romualdo said:

My iiig rangefinder is a bit out (both horizontally & vertically)

Is the technique similar to earlier models ie iiif ? I've done a number of searches (here, rangefinder forum etc etc) & while this question has been asked in the past there have been no successful replies - has anyone attempted this on a iiig?

I've managed to sort out the vertical misalignment at infinity with the "screw under the screw adjustment" but the horizontal adjustment could be an issue if it is indeed under the left (looking from front) circular chrome ringed rangefinder window. The chrome ring is very thin/flat when compared to the earlier models - I find it difficult to envisage a rubber tool or flexiclamp (don't have either) managing to grip/engage this ring effectively - I've tried to unscrew it with my finger/thumb (unsuccessfully). Maybe the horizontal rangefinder adjustment on the iiig is in a different location? Any advice/ideas??

I always think of horizontal and vertical the other way round from you. I assume that what I think of as the vertical adjustment must be behind the secondary RF window on a IIIg, otherwise why would it be knurled. You will need an 11mm Flexiclamp wrench, which is the only size I don't have, so I have not been able to check if it will come off with that. There is enough of a lip for my OKARO filter to fit firmly on the secondary window (there isn't enough lip on the primary window on a IIIg, which is why you have to fit the OKARO on the "wrong" window on a IIIg), so a Flexiclamp should be able to get a grip OK. https://www.micro-tools.com/products/50c 

I had lent mine about 10 years ago to the late forum member, Philippe Debray, so lost it when he died totally unexpectedly, on the very day he was due to come to lunch at my French house with other forum members. I have therefore just bought another from the micro-tools.de website. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

2 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

I always think of horizontal and vertical the other way round from you. I assume that what I think of as the vertical adjustment must be behind the secondary RF window on a IIIg, otherwise why would it be knurled. You will need an 11mm Flexiclamp wrench, which is the only size I don't have, so I have not been able to check if it will come off with that. There is enough of a lip for my OKARO filter to fit firmly on the secondary window (there isn't enough lip on the primary window on a IIIg, which is why you have to fit the OKARO on the "wrong" window on a IIIg), so a Flexiclamp should be able to get a grip OK. https://www.micro-tools.com/products/50c 

I had lent mine about 10 years ago to the late forum member, Philippe Debray, so lost it when he died totally unexpectedly, on the very day he was due to come to lunch at my French house with other forum members. I have therefore just bought another from the micro-tools.de website. 

Wilson

Thanks Wilson, just purchased the appropriate flexiclamp from micro-tools (via ebay)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 10:01 PM, wlaidlaw said:

Wilson

Just an update - that flexiclamp arrived today & worked a treat - nice grip & no slipping/damaging of the ring - came off easily - thanks again Wilson

Now the next step - the ring with the two notches is firm/immobile - what sort of tool is required to move that? I tried a tiny ground down flathead screwdriver, placed it into one of the notches but could not budge the ring. I have a much larger tool for removing circlips (on my motorcycle) - a smaller version of that could work

Edited by romualdo

I made myself a small sheet metal strip that is wide enough for both notches. If you've done a couple of turns, the window will be relaxed and may be out of your reach.
But important! Do not clean anything too much. The mirror by no means with alcohol!

Sorry for my bad technical English..
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use a double ended adjustable lens ring wrench, one that has reversible curved angled points at one end and straight points at the other end. I would use a tiny pointed artist's brush, dip it in IPA and paint round the outside of the ring. This should soften/dissolve any old grot that is sticking the ring. If this does not work, you may have to resort to using acetone rather than IPA but as Reini says, in tiny amounts so that it does not get on the mirror.half silvered glass.  It is not unknown for camera repairers to put a dab of paint on this ring surrounding the prismatic glass to lock it in position. You can also try hot and cold. For hot I would sit the camera on top of hot water storage cylinder (if you have one) or on top of a hot water bottle with a towel over it. For cold, put it in a sealed Ziploc bag and into the freezer for an hour. If all this fails, you may have to remove the top cover to get better access. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1