They Say Future M Might Be Able To Switch Between RF and EVF

PhoebusXS

23 minutes ago, siangue said:

As soon as possible because I do not see Leica go very far with a dinosaur that Cartier-Bresson would never use today

Were he still here, I’d have more trouble envisioning his abandonment of the M’s optical finder in favor of an electronic screen.  But, no matter, he would have made nice pics regardless.  And probably would have enjoyed the thought of a Monochrom with vintage M lens. :)

Only Leica can determine the market and economic viability of future products.  So all the arm chair analysis, mine or others, is simply entertaining.  But Leica did reportedly say, for now, that the M will continue to have an RF, and that they’re open to a possible (additional) EVF version.  Past reports also suggest that attempts at a hybrid version resulted in unacceptable (so far) compromises.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

44 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Probably not anytime soon. There is no room in the camera to cram in an EVF in combination with a rangefinder mechanism. 

No one is seriously suggesting this.

Leica made a prototype hybrid and were unhappy with the result.  What they’ve acknowledged is the possibility of making an evf only version of the M.  Plenty of room for a very good evf if you remove the the rangefinder mechanism ...

• Like 1

“The purpose of business is to create and keep a customer" - Peter Drucker

Seems Leica realizes this fundamental principle: existing rangefinder customers will be kept by continuing to offer rangefinders, new customers will be created by offering future EVF Ms. What's the problem? All makes sense. Leica has become pretty agile and that might be vital to stick around for another century.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MRJohn said:

[...] existing rangefinder customers will be kept by continuing to offer rangefinders, new customers will be created by offering future EVF Ms. What's the problem? All makes sense. [...]

+1. If there are other ways to sell M lenses i don't know which they are.

I trust that Leica will make the right choices. Not many other companies would have managed what they have done: to keep alive an old technology, against all odds. It wouldn't be possible without a very thoughtful strategy through the years.

• Thanks 1

vor 18 Minuten schrieb lct:

+1. If there are other ways to sell M lenses i don't know which they are.

You can easily adapt them to L-Mount!

If there should be a market, it is easy for Leica to build a smaller SL in a RF-style Body.
But never a M with integrated EVF - WHY should they, as the visoflex is available for exotic needs ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cp995 said:

If there should be a market, it is easy for Leica to build a smaller SL in a RF-style Body.
But never a M with integrated EVF - WHY should they, as the visoflex is available for exotic needs ...

Why would M users pay for an adapter to put their M lenses on an M body? Let alone that an adapter allowing for auto image magnification has never been made by Leica so far. And why would Leica launch a "smaller SL" competing vs the original one if the SL2 happens to have a couple millimeters less than the current SL as expected? As for the Visoflex, it is another sluggish accessory i've been using myself for my film Ms and M240 for many years. May be useful for accessory needs, not to compete with the best mirrorless cameras on the market.

Yes - but those best mirrorless camera either are larger, derive their compact size from a short flange distance or are APS, to compensate for the physical dimensions of the EVF and the larger battery required.

The  M is digitally handicapped by its (for digital) long register distance and heritage form factor (no handgrip to squash electrical stuff in)

It would take quite a bit of development and miniaturization to get it in the size class of the M10. I'm sure it can be done, if Leica puts its mind to it, but it will take time and money.

2 hours ago, cp995 said:

Leica would never ptoduce a monochrome M camera - you can just convert in LightRoom, and what is the point of a digital camera without an LCD ... oh, hang on.

The point is not the SL or L mount cameras, but an M variant. As LCT says, the EVF is not really as good as it could be, and many really aren’t interested in the rangefinder.  EVFs are now good enough to be a substitute for the OVF - the SL, CL and Q already show that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jaapv said:

Yes - but those best mirrorless camera either are larger, derive their compact size from a short flange distance or are APS, to compensate for the physical dimensions of the EVF and the larger battery required.

The  M is digitally handicapped by its (for digital) long register distance and heritage form factor (no handgrip to squash electrical stuff in)

It would take quite a bit of development and miniaturization to get it in the size class of the M10. I'm sure it can be done, if Leica puts its mind to it, but it will take time and money.

Cobblers.

• Haha 1