They Say Future M Might Be Able To Switch Between RF and EVF

PhoebusXS

Personally I’d be very happy with an M-adapter that included a sensor for the focus cam, which can certainly be done either mechanically or with some other non-contacting sensor to determine both focus distance (might be useful to fine tune IBIS - how’s that for optimism) and activate an optional zoom on focus.  I don’t feel there is any lack of “elegance” in using an adapter nor does there need to be any meaningful mechanical compromise.  

Edited by mdemeyer
  • Like 1

Such an adapter has never been made in spite of the L mount being used on SL, CL and TL cameras. Even if feasible, it would cost a lot with its bells and whistles and M users would have to understand why they should pay that kind of super tax to use their M lenses the same way on the "second M" as on other M cameras.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, siangue said:

I have sold all my M gear because a M with a EVF was not coming , I'd like a M-D with EVF  and a 35 noctilux

That is going to lose you a lot of money in the end...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AKW said:

... Why are you insisting to have a pure EVF-camera with an M-mount?

“Insisting” might be a bit strong, but why not?  The L mount is a different system and Leica may or may not make a smaller full frame L mount camera. I doubt it.  The SL is apparently going to have a body upgrade (hopefully withou a removable baseplate 😀) and it isn’t much bigger than an M camera.  What would be the point of an L mount M camera?

An EVF based M camera is technically feasible and probably not that difficult to make, and there seems to be demand for it.  The lenses and the rest of the camera functionality already exists. No video, no AF etc - just an M10, but with the SL’s EVF instead of the rangefinder mechanism. Adding the L mount would defeat the purpose and would complicate things needlessly.

Leica already has the technology ...

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, the technology is there, the only real question is whether Leica feels like developing it, at what price. I would venture that none of us knows. We can only speculate. My bet is on not for the near future, but like any bet, it is just a percentage. Don't forget, it will generate a demand for zoom M lenses, longer M lenses, and so forth. Those are things that will require serious R&D resources.

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

My bet is on not for the near future, but like any bet, it is just a percentage. Don't forget, it will generate a demand for zoom M lenses, longer M lenses, and so forth.

My bet would be the opposite not surprisingly ;). Not sure what so forth can be but autofocus zooms and long lenses are not made for M cameras. There are plenty of S, SL, CL and TL cameras for that.

Edited by lct

1 minute ago, pico said:

I find it astounding that people wish for the M that which already exists in other Leica models. Where is their head?

no there is nothing like a M with EVF and nothing with so many M lenses and M mount, where is your head ?

Edited by siangue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

Yes, the technology is there, the only real question is whether Leica feels like developing it, at what price. I would venture that none of us knows. We can only speculate. My bet is on not for the near future, but like any bet, it is just a percentage. Don't forget, it will generate a demand for zoom M lenses, longer M lenses, and so forth. Those are things that will require serious R&D resources.

Quite - we don’t know.

But, as we’re (you’re) speculating, my bet is that as reported in the Stefan Daniel interview Jeff S linked elsewhere, Leica is looking seriously at it.  That’s something we actually know, rather than “betting” on speculation on price and demand.

I’m not sure why Leica would not want to stimulate demand for a wider selection of M lenses - that’s what they do for a living, right?

49 minutes ago, siangue said:

no there is nothing like a M with EVF and nothing with so many M lenses and M mount, where is your head ?

What is your point? Pro or con considering an M with an optional attachable EVF or some magical mutation of both? I cannot know.

Very simply, there is the M line which today is accessorized with an EVF, enough of a compromise that not using it properly restores the M to its fundamental advantage.

Edited by pico

I have no objection to the quality of the add-on EVF in the M240, it's that the moment of exposure is blacked out.  The continuity of a direct-view finder is what kept me in the M system all these years, otherwise I would've been shooting nothing but an SLR since my first Nikon in the early 70s.  If an EVF-M can provide continuous view through the exposure, then I might have a reason to consider it. 

I like the rangefinder on the M because it allows me to use my right eye which is very dominant whilst keeping left eye open, since purchasing the CL I find that the position of the viewfinder allows me the same amenity - however, yes there is a momentary 'blackout' period - this is a function of read out times of the current chip - but it doesn't really bother me that much. I find that for walk around happy snaps, I am also preferring the CL over the M10 and the SL because of its lightweight and form factor.

However I haven't bought a 'native' CL lens yet as I initially purchased the CL to use as a tele-convertor for the 90-280SL lens and subsequently discovered that the M lenses and other SL lenses work nicely on the CL. I don't see the apc mount lenses at current price points offering much value compared to the M and SL lenses I already own and generally speaking I am not a fan of variable aperture. For this reason if I need small form factor and fast lenses I use a Fuji XT-3 mated to a few fast primes. I would prefer not to have to use Fuji - however Leica just dont make the apc lenses that Fuji does - at the price or performance points they deliver - eg the 16/1.4 - and outstanding lens.

I think a full frame version of the CL would probably 'tick the boxes' for those ( like me) who like the form factor and ergonomics of the M but would prefer the utility of an EVF viewfinder  - or perhaps if the SL2 had a left sided viewfinder what people these days seem to call 'rangefinder style' cameras that would also solve for my personal 'perfect' 35mm preferences - either way I could actually use the fast M glass and SL glass I have accrued over the years sans crop.

The limitation of the CL is it isn't full frame and therefore M and SL lenses have a crop factor imposed on them - rendering wides not so wide, the strength of the CL is its form factor and IQ as well as the crop factor providing reach.

One thing is for sure - the M10 is the last rangefinder body I will ever purchase and in all likelihood I will probably exit the current M system and invest more in autofocus glass from Leica or other manufacturers. An EVF equipped M might see me stay - as long as Leica get rid of the nonsense bottom plate idiocy - that really bugs me and has since the M8 absolutely no reason for it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pico said:

I find it astounding that people wish for the M  which already exists in other Leica models. Where is their head?

well for me, it's because I use wide-angle lenses (my longest lens is 35mm), and using a finder is too clunky for my 21 and 24mm lenses. I've lost 3 Leica finders, and they're not cheap.

10 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

Quite - we don’t know.

But, as we’re (you’re) speculating, my bet is that as reported in the Stefan Daniel interview Jeff S linked elsewhere, Leica is looking seriously at it.  That’s something we actually know, rather than “betting” on speculation on price and demand.

I’m not sure why Leica would not want to stimulate demand for a wider selection of M lenses - that’s what they do for a living, right?

Yes that they do, but the demand for such lenses would be large in Internet volume but small in number and we have seen  over the years that developing Leica lenses is a process that takes time and resources. 

On 1/9/2019 at 7:13 AM, mikeamosau said:

As mentioned in the article, there is the idea of a second M to sit alongside a rangefinder version that has a built in EVF, but not a hybrid.

I don’t think we will see one that switches from rangefinder to EVF. Not at least unless some magical new technology comes around to keep the M thin.  

I think it’s very interesting. Personally, I love the rangefinder, but I also love the SL with M lenses. So I could see myself using an M with an EVF only. But I’d probably just own 2 cameras, one of each. (My wife just said no as she reads this over my shoulder!! :)

Mike

“Magical new technology’???   Fujifilm did it several years ago!

• Haha 2