PhoebusXS

They Say Future M Might Be Able To Switch Between RF and EVF

What do you think?

How much do you willing to trade off for the built-in EVF?

If it doesn't increase body thickness and weight, would you be happy to use it often?

If a M model only has EVF but not RF, is it still a good camera body to you?

See the article here: https://leicarumors.com/2019/01/08/very-interesting-hints-about-future-leica-products.aspx/

As mentioned in the article, there is the idea of a second M to sit alongside a rangefinder version that has a built in EVF, but not a hybrid.

I don’t think we will see one that switches from rangefinder to EVF. Not at least unless some magical new technology comes around to keep the M thin.  

I think it’s very interesting. Personally, I love the rangefinder, but I also love the SL with M lenses. So I could see myself using an M with an EVF only. But I’d probably just own 2 cameras, one of each. (My wife just said no as she reads this over my shoulder!! :)

Mike

M-size full-frame EVF-camera would be very nice indeed, but there is no reason why it should have an M-mount. The L-mount enables both autofocus and easy use of M-lenses (and many other lenses too).

Arto

Posted (edited)

I'd love an M camera with a built in high quality EVF. I think it would sell very well if Leica does not get too gready. A bit larger M camera would be expected and that's ok. It's been fun and challenging learning how to use my first RF. I know RF well enough at this point to understand what it can and can't do. Nastalgia is one thing reality is another and personally I don't want what I believe to be superior M mount glass to dissappear to all the energy going to the new L mount which is already facing significant and wide spread competition, even before it comes to market. SL and LMount is pushing forward into an already saturated and shrinking market. There is one battle royal about to happen in the FF mirrorless market. Not sure how exactly  Leica SL luxury pricing and enormous heft is going to survive. M glass however is truly special and has earned and deserves a future. Current RF cameras IMO are nothing much more than a nod to nastalgia and while fine tuned to get the best out of Leica M glass, we really do need to have a real work horse of a M camera side kick. Something like an M10x with an excellent EVF would go a long way to securing M cameras are not pushed to the museum display case.  

Edited by LBJ2

I like the fact that they will keep the M purely RF.  Leica has a good amount of product lines for many that want to venture out to other “coveniences” to get their images.

7 hours ago, mikeamosau said:

I don’t think we will see one that switches from rangefinder to EVF. Not at least unless some magical new technology comes around to keep the M thin

A few years ago they also said that a full frame M wasn't possible

2 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

I'd love an M camera with a built in high quality EVF. I think it would sell very well if Leica does not get too gready. A bit larger M camera would be expected and that's ok. It's been fun and challenging learning how to use my first RF. I know RF well enough at this point to understand what it can and can't do. Nastalgia is one thing reality is another and personally I don't want what I believe to be superior M mount glass to dissappear to all the energy going to the new L mount which is already facing significant and wide spread competition, even before it comes to market. SL and LMount is pushing forward into an already saturated and shrinking market. There is one battle royal about to happen in the FF mirrorless market. Not sure how exactly  Leica SL luxury pricing and enormous heft is going to survive. M glass however is truly special and has earned and deserves a future. Current RF cameras IMO are nothing much more than a nod to nastalgia and while fine tuned to get the best out of Leica M glass, we really do need to have a real work horse of a M camera side kick. Something like an M10x with an excellent EVF would go a long way to securing M cameras are not pushed to the museum display case.  

The SL has just dramatically expanded its customer base with the L-alliance. It will be the top-end camera of a multi-brand system.

I love the M system because of the small size of body/glass, and full frame sensor. The combo is unique and garners high prices for those who prioritize the two, usually opposing, traits.

The OVF is not what I value highly in my Leica M's. I wear glasses at times and have had to purchase 0.58 bodies or diopters just to use my cameras comfortably. I'm certain my photography experience would be improved with a more advanced (E)VF. 

The SL is great but too big. The CL is great but APS-C. 

I hope they are listening 😄

4 hours ago, jaapv said:

The SL has just dramatically expanded its customer base with the L-alliance. It will be the top-end camera of a multi-brand system.

We shall see 😉

vor 15 Stunden schrieb hemlock:

I'd like an EVF-only M10-D...would buy one in a heartbeat.

No rear-LCD to smear, to scratch, to reflect sunlight, to need reading glasses for or to sqeeze my nose on.

The latter is most annoying with the mini-SLR shape all other mirrorless fullframe systems mimik, even including the SL. All and in particular the SL to date disappoint with excessively large lenses, many even larger than previous lenses for AF SLR. This is ok for professional photographers who get paid for carrying gear. This is ok for models and for celebreities who make a living from getting photographed by gun-shaped camera gear. But it is not acceptable for my models and for me.

One driver is the race to better optical performance even at maximum f-stop on test benches. The other driver is the race to fast contrast-detect AF which requires internal focussing by a small lens group with minimal moving mass, rather than moving the entire lens as with first generation AF SLR. The Nikon Z does not support AF with (compact) AF-D lenses for a reason.

However, as Leica M users we should not overstress common sense. Consequent application would lead to a Leica CL with APS-C sensor or, heaven forbid, a Sony NEX.

Edited by Peter Zapp

I don’t think Leica can ignore the demand for an EVF M-mount camera. Nowadays, the proportion of M-mount users who use it more for its compactness and quality is probably higher than the proportion who depend on the reverse Galilean viewfinder. I suspect that an EVF M-mount camera would outsell rangefinder M-mount cameras. The real question is whether the camera will have an SLR-style or a rangefinder-style body; I prefer the latter.

Am 9.1.2019 um 16:07 schrieb jaapv:

Then there is room for a niche product too!

--

There were M´s without rangefinder, the M1. I would prefer a further step-back. Namely a If digital!

No rangefinder, no viewfinder, but a Visoflex connection and with M-bayonet. A very small full frame camera, that can be carried in the pocket. 

Perhaps with large pixels (see A7s) for a useable high ISO. 

Jan

PS: By the way was not there a Ig too?

1 hour ago, raizans said:

I don’t think Leica can ignore the demand for an EVF M-mount camera. Nowadays, the proportion of M-mount users who use it more for its compactness and quality is probably higher than the proportion who depend on the reverse Galilean viewfinder. I suspect that an EVF M-mount camera would outsell rangefinder M-mount cameras. The real question is whether the camera will have an SLR-style or a rangefinder-style body; I prefer the latter.

Compact and quality = CL.  :)

vor 18 Stunden schrieb hemlock:

I'd like an EVF-only M10-D...would buy one in a heartbeat

:D

Holy, now that I think about it. That would be awesome. Would buy one too.

I have been working 30 years with M-Leica, and I really love the body shape and the way  how it works. However, it has nothing to do with the M-mount. The rangefinder is the thing, and if there is no rangefinder, it is only stupid to use M-mount. EVF doesn´t need range-finder coupling and with the L-mount you can use M-lenses with adapters. And all the other lenses. And autofocus. Sorry to repeat myself, but am I missing something? Why are you insisting to have a pure EVF-camera with an M-mount?

44 minutes ago, AKW said:

I have been working 30 years with M-Leica, and I really love the body shape and the way  how it works. However, it has nothing to do with the M-mount. The rangefinder is the thing, and if there is no rangefinder, it is only stupid to use M-mount. EVF doesn´t need range-finder coupling and with the L-mount you can use M-lenses with adapters. And all the other lenses. And autofocus. Sorry to repeat myself, but am I missing something? Why are you insisting to have a pure EVF-camera with an M-mount?

You will find a couple of answers in the posts above. See also https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/268919-m-11-will-be-around-in-less-than-4-years-the-speculations-and-facts/ and a dozen (thousands? ;)) other posts on the LUF. In a nutshell, M lenses are made for the M mount which is designed specifically for them and the M mount is required to trigger auto image magnification. Also M cameras and M lenses are not autofocus but you know this already if you've been using them for 30 years. To do autofocus you may wish to use SL, CL or TL cameras. Or Sony cameras and Techart adapters to do autofocus with M lenses eventually.

12 hours ago, AKW said:

Why are you insisting to have a pure EVF-camera with an M-mount?

Who? This is an open topic, me as OP didn't carry any opinions.