hoppyman

Buffer saturation with S (Typ 007)

This week for the first time I recall, I found it is possible to saturate the buffer with this camera resulting in the camera hanging with flashing red light and no previews of some images being generated.  I am shooting in DNG with only SDHC UHS II 300MB/s 32GB card in camera. I shoot quite a lot of rapid series perhaps 1 or 2 seconds apart when working with a dancer or model in movement in studio. Previously I had only seen this with my M9 when I had it and the S2. Both have smaller buffer memory of course.

The symptoms are the same.  Blinking red light continues for minutes without change, does not stop when power off and does reset with battery out. No files were lost after that restart 

i don’t consider this a failure but I have proved there is a limit if you push hard enough.

Later I encountered a more serious issue which I shall post separately with a couple of images examples

So you reached the limit!

I guess that the internal battery picked up after you removed the main battery... Are you sure no damage was done to any of the files?

Albert 😋

Good point on the internal battery maybe continuing the attempted creation of the previews. It might explain the same behaviour with the M9 and S2 as well. The only way to stop the blinking light ( after some minutes of no change) for  me is to remove the main battery and refit it and start the camera again.

i don’t know whether the camera in the end generated the missing previews but I can confirm that there are no missing files after I imported in Lightroom ( which generates better previews after import) and all of the files appear to open normally.

Well I have only seen this once with this camera and I was shooting a lot of exposures very quickly, and I will take it as an indication I was just shooting too many too fast. Surprising that the studio lights didn’t reach their overheat level too.

I have nothing new to report on this Albert. I think I simply shot too fast. Since then I have shot a few thousand more frames and more in next two days. I have not had the buffer saturation appear again so far.
I read I think that the S3 will have the same buffer size and of course I imagine that the files will be much larger. No idea on any processing differences of course. Whenever that one gets to market I imagine it will be limited like that too, (not designed to cope with those very rapid sequences)

I don’t use the S, or any other medium format, in these sort of situations. I take a Nikon when I want to shoot fast movement in continuous shooting mode. And the Profoto D2 - that strobe recycles so incredibly fast that I can shoot extended sequences on continuous with no problem. Tried that recently while my assistant was pouring rose petals from a basket over my model (a compatriot of yours, I believe). It was not possible to time the right moment; I had to rely on shooting many images machine gun style while the petals were falling, to get one where the eyes, mouth etc were not covered. Try that with the S....

Hi yes I agree that the equipment you mentioned is better for that situation. It's a very nice shot too. Also yes we have both worked with this model. She has announced her retirement by the way and currently is away on an extended break