Sensor issues, what would you suggest

Daedalus2000

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, hoppyman said:

This thread as with some others seems to get more and more Fujifilm support. Sometimes I don't even see any  Leica  content in those posts at all. Well the Mods are more tolerant than I I guess!

In this case, read the original post.  The OP specifically lists Fuji (and Hasselblad) as an option and asks for opinions.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hoppyman said:

This thread as with some others seems to get more and more Fujifilm support.

That's one more reason why I feel that the GFX is the spiritual successor to (and replacement for) the A7r. When that camera came out , there wasn't a photo forum that was immune to an A7R infection.

It does make sense in this particular thread, since we are discussing medium format options.

7 hours ago, BernardC said:

That's one more reason why I feel that the GFX is the spiritual successor to (and replacement for) the A7r. When that camera came out , there wasn't a photo forum that was immune to an A7R infection.

It does make sense in this particular thread, since we are discussing medium format options.

Just to add that at the moment I am still considering seriously the S007 upgrade over other options, I will just wait for a few months to see how prices change and if any new camera bodies appear. All this discussion has been extremely useful, a Leica vs "rest of world" discussion is still a Leica related discussion imho.

3 hours ago, Daedalus2000 said:

Just to add that at the moment I am still considering seriously the S007 upgrade over other options, I will just wait for a few months to see how prices change and if any new camera bodies appear. All this discussion has been extremely useful, a Leica vs "rest of world" discussion is still a Leica related discussion imho.

I think it's a great time for people who want to go into MF from using 135 Leica option who has a particular preference about Leica Color science to choose a second 006 or even a 007. Their body price is now very affordable at around 4000USD for 006 and around 7000~USD for the 007 (at least here in China). Their lens is about the same as a Fujifilm new lens and there's option to adapt Contax645. I think it's a good first step into MF.

1 hour ago, Dr No said:

No, just the high PIXEL density camera you are talking about.

I've tried the usual suspects, all based on the same Sony 42MP sensor: D810, A7r.

You certainly don't have to take my word for anything, there are scores of GetDPI threads, and lots of other resources, documenting how hard it is to get truly sharp results from these sensors.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 hours ago, BernardC said:

I've tried the usual suspects, all based on the same Sony 42MP sensor: D810, A7r.

You certainly don't have to take my word for anything, there are scores of GetDPI threads, and lots of other resources, documenting how hard it is to get truly sharp results from these sensors.

I wouldn't consider those high density pixel cameras or comparable with high density cameras such as 100MP Phase One. I agree there is little real work difference between a Leica M10 and a Sony 42MP sensor but find it very interesting you are so certain about high density pixel cameras without actual use.

1 hour ago, Dr No said:

I wouldn't consider those high density pixel cameras or comparable with high density cameras such as 100MP Phase One. I agree there is little real work difference between a Leica M10 and a Sony 42MP sensor but find it very interesting you are so certain about high density pixel cameras without actual use.

The PhaseOne 100MP back has 2.5 times the area of 24x36 and 2.5 times the number of pixels. In other words, they have the same pixel density, to a close approximation. The 5Ds has slightly higher pixel density than that (almost exactly half way between the current 100MP back and the as-yet unreleased 150MP back).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BernardC said:

The PhaseOne 100MP back has 2.5 times the area of 24x36 and 2.5 times the number of pixels. In other words, they have the same pixel density, to a close approximation. The 5Ds has slightly higher pixel density than that (almost exactly half way between the current 100MP back and the as-yet unreleased 150MP back).

True but we were talking medium format cameras. You said that pixels didn't make much difference which was not what I had found. Quite the opposite by some good and large measure actually. Of course many reasons why medium format is better but the resolution and quality of the resolution is certainly amongst the more significant reasons to choose it if that is what you are wanting.

5 hours ago, Dr No said:

True but we were talking medium format cameras. You said that pixels didn't make much difference which was not what I had found. Quite the opposite by some good and large measure actually. Of course many reasons why medium format is better but the resolution and quality of the resolution is certainly amongst the more significant reasons to choose it if that is what you are wanting.

Pixel density definitely make a huge difference. the smaller the pixel pitch, the more demanding the microlens design and software correction is require as well as high lp/mm resolution of the lens. It has big impact to the eco system. Part of the reason why PhaseOne is preventing future compatibility issue by commissioning monster lens to be manufacture. the Blue Ring 35, 150 etc etc.

IQ4150 is excellent, no more need to do LCC whiteboard correction as it has almost no color cast hence saving time for tech cam user. Also it has less vignette due to the sensor BSI design. This tech is also available to Fujifilm GFX100s as it is essentially the same sensor.

Edited by xiaubauu2009