Sensor issues, what would you suggest

Daedalus2000

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bernard, yes, the Fuji works well for me but so does the Leica. This is not bashing one and talking up the other. It is just an interesting point in time where each system has some advantages and some weaknesses. As I wrote above, if Leica make even a faint attempt at retaining me in the S family, I may well go that way. Gosh, I don't even care about cameras that much these days. Any decent camera will do. Inspiration is what I am looking for. 

My website here... can you tell which images are shot with Leica S and which with the Fuji..?

Edited by albireo_double
  • Like 3

Thank you everyone for your very useful replies. I received a lot of good opinions and suggestions. Any further input is welcome of course.

A couple of facts that people asked for...  I usually shoot portraits, some street and family stuff with the S. Also some macro stuff. What I particularly liked about the S2, was the image quality, the colour out of camera, the ability to use adapted lenses with focus confirmation etc. I also found that it slowed me down and helped me better results. Some of my personal favourite images are with this camera, I really do not know why, but I always felt a connection with it that I do not feel with other cameras. I did not have the chance to test the S007, so I do not know if I will feel the same. As some people highlighted, the lenses play a big role... I have the 35mm, the 70mm and the 120mm, that I also use sometimes with the SL.

With respect to costs, the upgrade to S007 was around 6.5K euros. I also saw one in very good condition (second hand) offered at around 5.5K british pounds (big post-Christmas discount), but I did not buy it because as I mentioned I am not sure what to do...

I think I will wait for a few months, see what the new Fuji and Hasselblad cameras will be like, and also to see the price of S3. But if it is 20K euros, forget it... I prefer to upgrade the sensor and shoot only on sunny days! :) 

On 1/8/2019 at 7:37 AM, Daedalus2000 said:

Hi everyone, I know I do not contribute a lot but I always enjoy your images and discussions. I would appreciate your advice please.

My S2-P has the sensor issue and as it is out of warranty now, I have to pay to replace the sensor. The two obvious options are to replace the sensor with one that will not have the issue (that is what I was told) or upgrade to S007 at a good price. My problem is that I loved the output of my S2 and although I do not use it regularly (because of size and lack of time), I always felt I had a soft spot for this camera. I also care about the cost, especially when the Fujifilm GFX is so much cheaper.

When I thought a bit more about all possible options I see the following:

1) Upgrade the S2 sensor

2) Upgrade to S007

3) Sell all Leica and buy Fujifilm GFX and lenses at considerable discount to S007

4) Wait until the S3 is out and then see if the price makes sense, or if the S007 price goes down

5) Buy an X1D (just joking :))

6) Do nothing and only use my S2 wide open, as I usually do...

What would you suggest? I have used my S2 for portraits/street mainly and pictures of the family life... I also enjoyed using it with adapted lenses (Mamiya/Hasselblad)

I had my S006 sensor changed twice, once 1.  for corrosion and the other for 2. sensor crack. Now the camera is in Germany for the 3rd times for battery drainage and it is not due to batteries.

This is my second S, my first S2 had a sensor due to sensor crack.

I had invested in 5 S lens. IF I am in yor position . I will look for a used S2 or 006. Which have a sensor change recently for around 3000 to 4000 it will still have some warrenty left.

Sell your old body at a discount to some one to use as a trade in for 007 . 

AND BUY A LUMIX SIR with Leica S-SL adapter.

My suggestion is to move over to GFX system as the future will hold the 100s system with 100mp BSI tech and IBIS and on sensor PDAF system. This will be the determine factor for me anyway, as it guarantee a fast focus, accurate and less problem with shooting fast lens. Also there's a 80mm f/1.4 in the pipe line from Fuji. Plus the cost of the camera will be around 10k USD, I think... or I hope. hahahah

15 hours ago, BernardC said:

albireo_double,

In the situation that you describe, the S would work better for me, simply because I like to stack my compositions around the actual point of focus, and the GFX viewfinder does not allow me to do that accurately. As I wrote earlier, it should come down to how you use your camera. If your work depends on "face/eye recognition" you will prefer the camera that offers that feature, rather than the one that doesn't offer that feature.

It's all a personal choice. No single camera is right for everybody. I'm glad that you are enjoying your Fuji and that the workflow is well-suited to your photographic style.

I think the tap to focus feature is the best to have, you compose to have a general feel of the whole image, then tap on the screen on where you want to focus. before you final shutter. But this means that you have to work with the screen at the back and not the EVF (for GFX)

I find this workflow is quite good for landscape, but  maybe not for portrait or studio? or I think it's just a matter of learning and nothing is right or wrong....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

$10K for 100MP, IBIS, PDAF over 100% of sensor, Pixel-Shift, 4K, 4-6fps, C1, Constant Firmware updates and improvements, Exciting new lenses at a fraction of the cost and more often from more R+D budget, wider lens range

or

$20K+ for 60MP, no IBIS, no PDAF, Central AF point 3fps, no C1, no updates, no new lenses, reliability and service issues, future uncertain, future reliability uncertain, costly and half a year wait for repairs

Not too difficult a decision I am thinking.

3 hours ago, Dr No said:

$10K for 100MP, IBIS, PDAF over 100% of sensor, Pixel-Shift, 4K, 4-6fps, C1, Constant Firmware updates and improvements, Exciting new lenses at a fraction of the cost and more often from more R+D budget, wider lens range

or

$20K+ for 60MP, no IBIS, no PDAF, Central AF point 3fps, no C1, no updates, no new lenses, reliability and service issues, future uncertain, future reliability uncertain, costly and half a year wait for repairs

Not too difficult a decision I am thinking.

Some of the specifications you are proposing for future Fujis are speculative. They can't do 3fps now (from what I've heard), but they will do 6fps with 100MP? Sony (and Canon) can't do PDAF over the whole sensor, but Fuji will, using Sony's sensor? It sounds like wishful thinking, but I'm sure you have reliable sources.

Other than that, you are comparing very different cameras that are suited to different uses. In other words, do you want a new lawn tractor, or a new canoe? They both cost about the same...

4 hours ago, mgrayson3 said:

I haven’t seen this much frothy nonsense since the Sony A7r came out. Not just this site. Everywhere it’s “Fuji!!! ZOMG!!!”  

I have to be honest and say that I expected a strong support for an upgrade to S007 to my original question, but I see a lot of support for Fuji. Is it a sign that Leica is losing its crowd a bit?

49 minutes ago, Daedalus2000 said:

I have to be honest and say that I expected a strong support for an upgrade to S007 to my original question, but I see a lot of support for Fuji. Is it a sign that Leica is losing its crowd a bit?

What upgrade to the 007? It doesn't exist until it ships. Ditto the 100MP Fuji. Yes, I've seen a pre-production S3. Yes, it is a big uptick from the 007, but how it compares in real usage to the 007 or X1D or GFX, I have no idea. The 100MP Fuji will be larger and heavier than the 50MP, so it may not have any size/weight advantage over the S3. Hassy hasn't announced anything.

I just find all of this "Fuji will probably do this," and "It's rumored that Fuji will do that" extremely tiresome. If I had my choice of nonexistent cameras, it wouldn't be any of the above!

Let Leica release the S3. Then we'll see what the crowd does. I still prefer Leica optics to anything I've seen from ... anyone.

• Like 1

Just now, mgrayson3 said:

What upgrade to the 007? It doesn't exist until it ships. Ditto the 100MP Fuji. Yes, I've seen a pre-production S3. Yes, it is a big uptick from the 007, but how it compares in real usage to the 007 or X1D or GFX, I have no idea. The 100MP Fuji will be larger and heavier than the 50MP, so it may not have any size/weight advantage over the S3. Hassy hasn't announced anything.

I just find all of this "Fuji will probably do this," and "It's rumored that Fuji will do that" extremely tiresome. If I had my choice of nonexistent cameras, it wouldn't be any of the above!

Let Leica release the S3. Then we'll see what the crowd does. I still prefer Leica optics to anything I've seen from ... anyone.

I meant my upgrade from S2P to S007, as per original question

58 minutes ago, Daedalus2000 said:

It is because the Fuji is that good...

Just now, Daedalus2000 said:

I meant my upgrade from S2P to S007, as per original question

My apologies!

I love the 007! I had health problems that forced me to go for lighter weight, and I got an X1D and a few lenses. They're easier to carry, but I don't like the files any better than the 007. I can get what I want from them, so I'm not complaining, but the 007 output usually shows me some unexpected beauty.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Daedalus2000 said:

I have had the S007 without any problems since it was released. Since upgrade of all my lenses, no problem there either. I think it is an extremely well designed camera that delivers on all aspects (well, price). I see that many people are searching for alternatives based on this and that feature, but neither the X1D or many others deliver as a package, especially not if you want the fantastic optical finder of the S, the CS lenses etc. I have written about this several times, but I am happy to re-iterate: It is a great camera, and it would be my first choice, especially if you already have a set of lenses.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BernardC said:

Some of the specifications you are proposing for future Fujis are speculative. They can't do 3fps now (from what I've heard), but they will do 6fps with 100MP? Sony (and Canon) can't do PDAF over the whole sensor, but Fuji will, using Sony's sensor? It sounds like wishful thinking, but I'm sure you have reliable sources.

Other than that, you are comparing very different cameras that are suited to different uses. In other words, do you want a new lawn tractor, or a new canoe? They both cost about the same...

These are the Sony IMX461 sensor specs. The new sensor can be making 100MP at 6fps, 8K (33MP) at 18fps and is 100% PDAF.