Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
My main camera is an M240, with a Summicron 35mm ASPH. As a backup, and for those occasions where I want to travel light I have an X2. Lately I’ve been thinking of upgrading the X2, but all options I see are suboptimal:
• CL + Elmarit TL 18mm: good size and weight, but too wide
• CL + Summicron-TL 23mm: good weight, slightly too big, more expensive
• Q2: great lens, crops to 35mm-e, 30MP, APS-C, but heavy, big (almost the same size as the M), even more expensive
• Q: cheapest option, great lens, but crops to 35mm-e, 15MP, APS-C, heavy and big
I visited the Leica Store in my city to handle the Q2 and the CL. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring a card to examine images in detail later.
I have a couple of questions about the CL:
1. In the store, after handling the Q2, the shutter noise of the CL seemed very loud, like an M8. How is it in practice?
2. I’ve read complaints about the top wheels turning inadvertently when they brush against clothing. It must be serious enough if there is an option to block them in software. Is it that bad?
3. I remember Peter Karbe saying that for APS-C they needed to increase lens performance by 50% to keep up with full frame lenses. How do M lenses on the CL compare to TL lenses?
I am sure this topic is covered over and over again, but I can't help starting a new thread to help me out in a very difficult decision. It feels like a very difficult decision anyway.
Some background: I have been photographing for the past 15 years, and for a few of those professionally. I have been a strong Nikon fan throughout (sorry for swearing in the church), but have also owned and used a lot of film cameras, such as Mamiya, Hasselblad 2000FCW, Canon and Nikon 35mm film cameras. I would say i am a fairly decent photographer with, maybe, a bigger passion and lust than talent. :)
Two years ago soon my son was born, and I just didn't bring the big cameras with me any longer, and I missed capturing those moments. I stopped all professional photography to make time for family and my day job. I sold all my other cameras, DSLRs and film alike to buy a new, smaller, more handy one. That I actually would bring with me everywhere and take photos. I never bought one, and now I miss I so much. So I started the hunt for the best camera for ME.
I have been googling, foruming all across, and I just don't know how to drill it down any further and decide on the actual camera to buy. One thing I do know is that it is going to be a Leica. I just love Leicas philosophy, the picture quality, the "to the roots" thing, and I have decided once and for all that now is the time for me to finally own a Leica.
I also know that I am on a budget. Coming in at a total of 2000 USD would be ideal - but if course, Leica is not cheap and there are many factors here. So anywhere between 1000-3000 USD is something I look at.
For that money you could buy either a Leica CL kit brand new, Leica TL2 brand new, a used Leica Q, used Leica M9.
I am not a rangefinder guy really, but I really like the concept. However, I will use the camera for many different scenarios such as travel photo, family photo, art works that I do, and just general hobby/art photography.
I don't do any studio work any longer, so that I don't need, I don't do street photography in that sense, and I don't to long tele situation photography like concerts or sports. So basically, I do everyday photography and would like my photos to be nice to have, maybe frame them, and if I find time again start taking art work photos again. But let's focus on travel, everyday life typ photo.
Now - what do you guys think? Where should I place my bets? I guess many of you have tried many of the cameras - which one do you believe I will be happier with?
Thank you so much! I appreciate all and any input!