CL wifi download to iPhone

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good day 😄 ,

May I ask those who have the knowledge about connecting a Leica CL camera to an iPhone to download images from the CL to the phone through CL's own wifi function?

I have a "Leia Image Shuttle" app on the iPhone an used it to connect/download from a D-Lux109, works okay...   But it seems not able to connect with the CL.

Do I need to download the "Leica CL" app separately for just connecting with the iPhone?    

19 minutes ago, grahamhoey said:

Hi fellow Canadian 

you need to download the Leica Fotos app. Download speed is still terrible but ok for one or two images. 

Thank you!  Good to see you are from Ottawa...  

Why it needs "Leica Fotos", but not the "Leica CL" app?    

And if both "Leica Fotos", "Leica CL" apps work for the CL, which one is better?  (as you said the "Leica Fotos" download speed is terrible).   I only needs the app to work for a CL to iPhone (since the D-Lux is fine with the "Leica Image Shuttle" app for downloads)

Edited by yst

19 minutes ago, grahamhoey said:

I think if you have upgraded the CL firmware you are forced to use the Fotos app and can’t use the CL app but could be wrong there. The Fotos app works with the SL as well as the CL so I use it. 

Thank you.

What version of CL firmware that needs to only with "Leica Fotos"?    

Actually both, but they require different firmware. Neither is perfect, far from it, but I think Fotos is the better one.

I think they work well for casual use. Download to my iPhone works, not too fast, but then, how often  or extensively do you need it ?

30 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Actually both, but they require different firmware. Neither is perfect, far from it, but I think Fotos is the better one.

I think they work well for casual use. Download to my iPhone works, not too fast, but then, how often  or extensively do you need it ?

My CL is still 2.0, therefore will only work with the "Leica CL" app, correct?    

And if updated to 2.1, is there any disadvantage?  Is it necessary or recommended to update to 2.1?   When update to 2.1, will the CL lose all the settings I have set for the camera?   

2 hours ago, grahamhoey said:

I think if you have upgraded the CL firmware you are forced to use the Fotos app and can’t use the CL app but could be wrong there. The Fotos app works with the SL as well as the CL so I use it. 

I believe it also works with the D-Lux (which I have but have not tried with the Fotos app yet).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Irt is not a big deal to update. You Will be propted to save your settings during the process, but you can export your profiles beforehand to make sure. 

thank you ... from reading old post, the 2.1 update has "screwed up" some CLs, is it safe to update now, or Leica could have fixed the issues? 

44 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I updated recently and there was nothing to it. Just follow the instructions to the letter. I think those  posts were just user error  

thank you!  where do I find the CL 2.1 update download?

yst, 

The Leica CL app is old code and no long supported. Leica FOTOs is the new development and where they're putting their efforts now. 

I was never able to get the Leica CL app to do anything reliably or consistently. It would sometimes not connect, sometimes quit unexpectedly, sometimes just sit there and do nothing, etc etc. With the firmware update to the CL and the release of Leica FOTOs, I've used it extensively for tethered control when doing doing copy work, and for browsing what's on the card and downloading photos as needed. It has worked just about flawlessly. 

The only thing that stopped working on my CL (and any other CL I've heard about) with the firmware v2.1 update is that the WLAN option for the CL to connect with a local WiFi network no longer works: when you use WLAN post the fw2.1 installation, it is always operating as a hotspot and the Leica FOTOs app on smartphone or tablet connects to it. For me, this is no problem at all since I've never used connection through an external network. (Others see this differently ... I do hope Leica brings back the functionality.)

• Like 1