Two CL bodies... too luxury?

yst

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, nicci78 said:

I thought once about the GX8 as a third camera for Q and CL. Because they can all three share same batteries. 

But finally voted against it because of the too complicated Panasonic user interface. 

It ain't too bad, once you get to grips with it. Sony is worse, much worse.. ;) At least Panasonic seems to employ photographers instead of software nerds... :D

I know the question was 2 CL bodies. I had 2 CL’s for the lens change reason. Sold one and got the SL. The SL f2 prime 90 is really nice on the CL, like having 2 lenses in one. The CL lenses can be used on the SL in crop mode so about 10mp. Off topic I know but perhaps food for thought. 

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Well, if one lens is 400 mm+ and the other a 35, it is hard to confuse them :p

I think in my 50-some years of photography, the number of times I've worked both of those focal lengths in a single session amounts to ... none. :D

Two APS-C bodies? Not for me sorry. With one FF body, one APS-C and four lenses (21, 35, 50, 90) i cover all usual fields of view from 21mm to 135mm. And this in a small package thanks to M lenses and compact bodies (Sony A7s mod, digital CL). YMMV.

19 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Did you get a 0.58x MP for 28mm and a 0.85x MP for 50mm ? 

I know this wasn’t asked of me, but as it happens I use 0.58 MP for 28 and 0.72 M2 or M4 for 50.  Either 0.58 or 0.72 is excellent for 35. I marginally prefer 0.58 for the extra space.  I don’t wear glasses.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I shot weddings, and I shot more than a few, I used 4 m6's 

2 Chrome and 2 Black.   

2 x .58 and 2x .72 finders

21, 35, 50, 75 & 90

When I switched to Canon I used 5  5D bodies

The following lenses stayed one their own bodies

24mm 1.4 

35mm 1.4

50mm 1.4 

85mm 1.2

the fifth body was alway left, hidden, in my car.

95% of my work was with the 35 and 85 lenses

the 24 and 50 body were aways close by 

Points to think about when using multiple bodies

I didn't want to think about anything except the images I was seeing in front of me

I didn't want to think about different menus, systems or what film was in what body - chrome bodies = color. black bodies = FP4

I didn't want to think about focal length;

so wides on left shoulder

long lenses on right, 

by the time I had seen the shot my arm was bringing body to my eye and my legs were moving left, right, forward, back or down to frame the shot I never had to think about mag factors, what focal length to zoom to use... zoom in - zoom out ?   etc.  

All I wanted to think about during those shoots was the image  

so it always made perfect sense to me to shoot with multiple bodies

Now, I'm shooting for myself first and thinking about clients later, so my mindset is very different and I'm shooting with one body and three lenses and for the first time in my life I've actually kept a zoom that bought :)

I keep telling myself that I don't need a second body, I want it yes, but I don't NEED it and I sure as hell don't want to carry the extra weight or buy a bigger bag yada yada yada 

besides which when I go out shooting for myself I'm shooting much less 6 - 10 frames a session instead of several hundred on a wedding. So much more fun.

So in answer to the original question;

a). No it's not daft to use multiple bodies

b). Yes It's daft to use multiple bodies 

c). Both a. and b.

d). Suit yourself &  keep it simple 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ramarren said:

I think in my 50-some years of photography, the number of times I've worked both of those focal lengths in a single session amounts to ... none. :D

Well, that figures, I've never met you when out in the Bush  :p

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Well, that figures, I've never met you when out in the Bush  :p

I avoid the bush. Too many insects. :) 

I'm more of a desert, ocean, and race track sort of guy. Outer space too, but the transport costs are daunting. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gene Smith (always the outlier) was sometimes seen with five cameras.  

I can't imagine doing more than two and still being able to move freely.  Curiously, shooting with an M and a CL is easier than using a CL and an SL.   The first pair feel and work more similarly, while the SL, even with the compatible lens mount, handles completely unlike the CL.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

You are right, CL is better suited as a wingman to an M10 or M than to the SL 

SL can do everything by his own.

But M10 lacks video and zooms. And is almost incompetent with long focal length focusing and with wide angle framing (without huge ugly plastic not fantastic Visoflex) Everything the CL can bring to the mix and also serving as a 1.5x teleconverter. Which is very nice  

• 2 weeks later...

If I had the extra cash, I'd definitely have a second body.

I have a CL, so my second camera body would be either a TL2 for variety sake - or - the Q. I typically keep 2-3 lenses on me when I'm out shooting and I often find myself getting too lazy to switch glass when I'm on the go, especially when I have a wife and kids waiting for me to 'hurry up and get the shot already'. Having that extra body ready to go with a secondary lens option will certainly be most handy indeed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wsself said:

If I had the extra cash, I'd definitely have a second body.

I have a CL, so my second camera body would be either a TL2 for variety sake - or - the Q. I typically keep 2-3 lenses on me when I'm out shooting and I often find myself getting too lazy to switch glass when I'm on the go, especially when I have a wife and kids waiting for me to 'hurry up and get the shot already'. Having that extra body ready to go with a secondary lens option will certainly be most handy indeed. 

Not to mention lessen the change of getting dust on the sensor....