Leica SF58 on Leica CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many years ago I bought a Leica SF 58 flash - but I ony recall using it a couple of times. Now I have bought a CL - does anyone know if this flash is fully compatible with the CL (or the SL)?

When I switch it on it reads V 1.1 - is this unit perhaps open to firmware updates?

19 hours ago, jaapv said:

Isn't it a bit unbalanced, Ivar ? ;)

Yes, I agree. It does work, though but it looks rather huge on this small camera. I actually considered buying a smaller one like the SF 26 or something.

• 1 month later...

On 1/8/2019 at 4:44 PM, jaapv said:

The SF40 is perfectly matched, and not much more expensive than the SF26, which I consider rather limited. No controls, no endurance (2xAAA), etc.

I would prefer the SF26 , but the SF26 has no HSS I think ?

Hi Ivar. I have one the same. As far as I know the SF58 firmware update option didn't happen? At least I never found an update. I recently got the SF60  and I think its a much better form and size  if in the CL hotshoe. However I actually got it to try  off camera control on my Leica cameras with the matching remote as it required an awkward workaround (separate transmitter/controller and no TTL) to make that work with the SF58

Ivar the SF58 is a product of the previous iteration of Metz, before they went into administration (probably due to an ill advised adventure into expensive flat screen TV's). Unlike what we were promised when we bought the 1.1 Version, no firmware updates have ever been forthcoming or likely ever will be forthcoming. We therefore don't have the auto-switching to HSS that the Version 2 has plus improved exposure control. I feel a bit let down by Leica over this, as they marketed the product and I paid them for it, not Metz. I think Leica should have paid the new Metz-Digital a fee to come up with a firmware update for the 1,1 Version. I don't think that Leica took their responsibilities to customers for this product seriously enough. I hope the new relationship with Nissin is a longer term deal and more customer orientated than Metz. That said the SF58 seems to work OK with the CL but tends to under-expose. The SF40 is much better balanced and the exposures are noticeably more accurate. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw