Shutter noise & vibration - M7, MP, M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i have an M&. I could swear swear that the battery-less shutter speeds (1/60th and 1/125th) sound quieter and have less vibration than the electronic ones (eg, closest comps being the 1/50th flash and 1/25t0th respectively). The battery-less ones seem to produce more of a single and smoother click, and less a double-sound clank.

Anyone else find that?

Do people notice any differences between the M7, MP and M-A ..... in terms of shutter vibration in particular?

In AUTO all the speeds are electronic, including the range between 1/60 and 1/125. Only mechanical when selected in Manual mode. I can't really feel a difference between 1/60 and 1/50 when manually selected, but I am always in AUTO mode! I'll check more thoroughly when I finish the roll. My M3 and M6 are very quiet and I don't feel much vibration. The M2 is a bit louder - almost hollow sounding. They all sound quieter when there is a roll in the camera, though. But now you've given me a bone to chew on! I'll have to have a talk (and a listen) with all of them when they have an empty belly.

• Thanks 1

Some years ago, I was very concerned by Leica M vibrations and noise.

First by hearing/listening and most important with photos results at slow speed (under 1/30).

I took some measurements with Brüel&Kjaer products in vibrations and sound with my Ms, then.

Comparing to SLR, Ms are the less noisy and most vibration-free.

The first class was M5 followed by M4.

Sorry never have M7 for comparison.

MP and M-A by results from photos, I'm sure they are as good as more ancient Ms.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Top to that, in sound, this M4 black chrome, most used and "old" , may be the winner for smooth operation,

less sound and vibrations than most of my Ms including the two newer above (MP, M-A)

My thinking that "more used and old but well maintained Ms are quietest and most vibration free".

This Ti M6 was the less smooth and more noisy than most (maybe lack of use), sold it years ago

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

Some years ago, I was very concerned by Leica M vibrations and noise. First by hearing/listening and most important with photos results at slow speed (under 1/30). 

We can give the vibration issue more thought. Presuming adequate support, at some point in a long exposure the shutter vibration will have an insignificant; possibly no effect. This is intuitive and scientifically demonstrable. Just what shutter speed is the upper boundary can be found, and it is likely below 1/30th of a second.

This is because the period of vibration is shorter than the total time of exposure. The longer the exposure the closer to nil do vibration effects become.

An example demonstration is found in the book, Edge of Darkness by the late (2003) Barry Thornton, page 64.

Edited by pico
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2019 at 11:45 AM, a.noctilux said:

MP and M-A by results from photos, I'm sure they are as good as more ancient Ms.

We should think a new MP or MA would be as good or better than originals, however original fitments were done by hand-fitting each part. Just something to consider with today's close-enough metrics.