How to upgrade from LR5 to LR6 in 2019

It could be worse as they do not yet force you to put all your images in their cloud and then lease them back to you. Apple and Google would prefer you to adapt this workflow. Adobe brought up an apple security warning that Adobe wanted control of the system, perhaps they want to offer a subscription to access my local files via a bitcoin model.😱

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pierovitch said:

It could be worse as they do not yet force you to put all your images in their cloud and then lease them back to you. Apple and Google would prefer you to adapt this workflow. Adobe brought up an apple security warning that Adobe wanted control of the system, perhaps they want to offer a subscription to access my local files via a bitcoin model.😱

This is all about charging monopoly rent on cloud space. Apple, Google, Microsoft and Adobe etc, etc have been working on this for some years and there is little that individual customers can do. Companies offering 'last stand at the Alamo'  software will find it difficult to keep up with the majors, particularly as traffic switches onto mobile devices with computational photography features which will work through bespoke software. Governments and regulators do not seem to be interested in stopping this. To a degree, digital photographers are also guilty of partly causing this with constant demands for new improved digital cameras (eg people are already babbling on about an M11 or an SL2 etc) and software. It is something of a vicious circle to which most photographers have 'bought in'. The new Lumix models, promised soon, are likely to have features that will require processing software beyond the capabilities of current offerings. 

William

There are some benefits to the cloud-based approach that need to be recognized.  There are those who do LR processing on files in their libraries using smart phones and tablets as well as their computer.  Also it is one way to implement collaboration where several folks can work on a single file.  The Adobe cloud is a method to enable this type of operation.  Photoshop will be available for tablets soon; I expect there will be a cloud-enabled Photoshop to go along with it.  I don't see this as a signal that cloud-based processing will be required.

Also remember that Adobe is a graphics program supplier for graphics professionals.  Photoshop started as software for printing shops, not for photographers.  Adobe is also THE major graphics player with Premier, Illustrator, integrated publishing and web building software; this software is available with a different subscription.  Lightroom must be a small part of Adobe's revenue stream.  Someone making a living with this software pays for it in about 10 minutes of chargeable work.

I think what we should fear is that Adobe products will eliminate competitors the way Microsoft did with Office.  Lotus is gone, Word Perfect is gone.

Jaap, I don't understand "the cracks that they are battling with little success".  Adobe had record earnings last year.  To me it looks like the LR alternatives are battling to keep up with Lightroom.  Example, the beloved Aperture app that is gone forever.

It used to be easy enough to get a crack that would activate illegal copies of Photoshop etc. Especially the telephone activation was vulnerable. The subscription system put an end to that, as CC now checks for the validity of the license all the time.

BTW, I loved  Aperture as much as I love Photos now... Not, that is ;)

16 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I think they’ll shut you down after a month. 

I do not usually use a CC product without a network connection, so I am good. Still it works when I am not on the 'net. Why should they care how often I use CC connected or not since it polls the Mother Ship infrequently, which is adequate for their purpose?

We would all be in deep trouble if CC or any software required a full-time net connection.

Edited by pico

So, last night I succeeded to upgrade Lightroom to Lightroom 6. That means I did not have to buy a new license, I opted for the permanent upgrade at 73,78 €.

It was not an easy find on their website, neither was it easy to install etc. Quite tricky, but it worked. As they recommended I had to create a new ID.