How to upgrade from LR5 to LR6 in 2019

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

Is it worth to upgrade from LR5 to LR6 today? I have read several threads about Luminar and C1 and it seems that LR is still a very good package. As I do not want to go for a subscription solution, I was thinking of upgrading from LR5 to LR6.

is there a way to upgrade from LR5.71 to LR6.14 as of today?

I still have an unused voucher with my M240 but would also spend the 100EUR needed if that was necessary.

Thanks for your consideration and greetings from Luxembourg

Edited by SiriusLux

There may be a way to pay for and download an upgrade version from the Adobe website, but they certainly don't make it easy.

I'm currently running 6.14. You may miss new camera and lens profiles that have been introduced in the past year. The Map function is gone as of 12/1/2018. Google changed something on the Google Maps API, and Adobe didn't/won't update 6.14 to allow access.

No idea about upgrading sorry but LR6 can still be acquired as a single app licensed product according to the Adobe site:
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html
If you have LR6 as i do, you may wish to download Lightroom Classic CC. It will work for free with limited functionalities, including raw conversion, even after the end of the trial period. Suffice it to click on "ignore" when you are prompted to pay then. Just tried this on RWL files out of the D-Lux 7. Works fine with LR Classic CC but not with LR6 which does not recognize the files as expected. Another free solution is to convert RWL or other raw files to DNG through Adobe DNG Converter and to open the resulting DNG files in LR6.

To download LR6 go here, https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/lightroom-downloads.html.  You may have to update it I’m not sure.   You may have to e-mail Leica to see if your TAN is still valid but hopefully it will be.  If you use a camera not supported by LR6.14 you can download Adobe DNG Converter from here, https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/digital-negative.html.  This will allow you to convert most Leica RAW files to DNG.  Adobe suggests that most new versions of DNG converted are readable by previous versions of LR.  Once conveted you can then import them into Lightroom, a list of compatible cameras is here, https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html.  It may be worth trying cameras not listed as you never know it may work.  They also update the file types along with updates to Camera Raw.

Ultimately, we will all have to look for something new as time goes on as I’m sure as you update your OS with never versions then it will probably stop working, but for the time being it still works on my Mac running the latest version of MacOS

Hope that works.

Edited by Bobitybob
  • Thanks 1

Hello everybody,

thanks for your feedback, it seems there is still a possibility to update and I will definitely check the TAN that was included with my M240 as I think the TAN (or whatever was included with it) of the M10 only works to get 90 days of LRCC.

Ultimately, either Adobe will get back to a non subscription model (which I do not believe as they just discovered the wonderful world of continuously extracting money from their customers, so their shareholders are happy) or after some time I will have to switch to Luminar, Affinity or ON1, once they all have a solution to take over the complete catalogs of LR. I will probably never have the time to export and import into another system the 100,000 + photographs I have in LR5 today.

Luckily the M240 and M10 files work fine even with LR5.

I will try updating the LR6 using the Leica TAN first, see if that works, alternatively buy a still available LR6 license and install it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Software needs constant attention if it is to continue functioning in an evolving environment. On top of that are updates  as algorithms are developed/refined. Without a steady income how will this be paid for? There are two choices - sell a new version every so often or, for a monthly fee, provide continuous improvement. I prefer the subscription; I get a much better product in a more timely manner. A lot of the resistance to subscription seems to be based on the belief that it is some kind of scam. Nuts.

Perhaps the concern here is less about the nature of software development and more about how customers pay for a particular product. A good number of competitive vendors, such as Capture One, as an example, provide a different purchasing model which is less objectionable to many who would rather "own" than "rent" ... . A lot of this is, of course, a matter of perception. The producer either gets their target price or they don't for what that's worth.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, lct said:

What happens in case of server breakdown? 

The better designs check into the server only periodically to check the license or for upgrades. The software itself lives on your computer.

• Thanks 1

Yes. I did say "a matter of perception," meaning that "ownership" in the context of the current discussion is a matter of perception.

And, of course, the question of software ownership is an on-going challenge that's likely to persist well into this century.

1 hour ago, Exodies said:

Except you don’t own under either model. You have a licence to use the product. If you owned it you could reverse engineer it etc.

Fair enough but why updating or upgrading if users don't need that? Photoshop CS3 :eek: user speaking. Just acquired Photoshop Elements 2019 to be honest but i still prefer CS3. 2019 - 2007 = 12 years for free anyway. Happy skinflint :D.

• Thanks 1

LR6 owners can use LR Classic CC for free with limited functionalities, even after the trial period. Just click on Dismiss when you are prompted to pay then. Allows for opening RWL and RW2 raw files from DL7 and LX100m2 w/o having to convert them to DNG. Development features are limited and processed files can be exported under various formats including TIF, JPG and DNG.

5 hours ago, lct said:

why updating or upgrading if users don't need that?

Because you may need to keep an old version of the operating system to run the old application on. You may need to keep old hardware to run the old OS. The old hardware may break down.

1 hour ago, Exodies said:

Because you may need to keep an old version of the operating system to run the old application on. You may need to keep old hardware to run the old OS. The old hardware may break down.

Did happen to me for sure, especially when Apple decided to use Intel chips instead of Motorola, but my CS3 from 2007, MS Word from 2010 and MS Excel from 2011, among others, have been working fine with all my Mac OS up to 10.13 so far. I have no experience with later OS though. BTW my favorite word processor is still WriteNow from 1988 but don't repeat it please :D.

• Like 1

Hello all,

there seems to be quite a discussion, however for me it is really clear.

There are two categories:

a) services I am ready to pay for on a regular basis and I am ready to stop using them at any time and consequently stopping to pay for them. Things like Strava fall under this category - for my personal taste.

b) products like my personal car or my camera or my lenses and also my PC and its software (including LR), which I want to use perpetually, i.e. until they fall apart or something else happens. These are products I want to buy and not want to have somebody extorcate money from me all the time for stuff I do not need or want. If I think there is an update that's worth it I will pay for it, such as a different model of car, I am sometimes ready to keep the old one as well.

This is why I bought LR1, LR2, LR3, LR4 and LR5. I had no regrets doing so and did not feel abused. The time LR6 came, I did not feel there was enough in the new product for me to make me want to buy it, so I stuck with LR5. Then Adobe went to the subscription model, which for above reasons I did and still do not want for products that I want to keep. Now I find it worth buying LR6, so I just wanted to find a way to do that, and it seems possible. I still do not need or want LR CC with additional cloud functions and other things I do not need or want.

@Exodies: Moien, my issue is not that I do not want to pay software developers. My issue is that I want to pay them for the product I want and not for something else, otherwise it gets to be a barrel with a hole in the bottom, literally translated from German (Ein Fass ohne Boden), and that is strictly what I do not want. It seems I am not the only one.

So back to my earlier post. For now, I am going to buy an LR6 license, and maybe in the future I might switch to any of the alternatives Jaap has mentioned.

On 1/10/2019 at 2:00 PM, Exodies said:

Software needs constant attention if it is to continue functioning in an evolving environment. On top of that are updates  as algorithms are developed/refined. Without a steady income how will this be paid for? There are two choices - sell a new version every so often or, for a monthly fee, provide continuous improvement. I prefer the subscription; I get a much better product in a more timely manner. A lot of the resistance to subscription seems to be based on the belief that it is some kind of scam. Nuts.

Yes, but why not let the user own the basic product and offer a subscription model for the update service? I think that Adobe went for this scheme to get around the cracks that they were battling with little success.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SiriusLux said:

I still do not need or want LR CC with additional cloud functions and other things I do not need or want.

You may already know, but to clarify, LR CC Classic does not require any cloud storage.  It looks and feels like the standalone LR versions (and with storage on one’s desktop), but has some useful tools (for me) that Adobe stopped short of putting into the latest, and last, LR6 iteration.  So one gets consistently upgraded LR, along with Photoshop, for 10 bucks a month.  

I don’t like subscription models necessarily, but I definitely get my money’s worth with LR CC Classic.  But if and when Adobe mandates cloud storage, I’m out.

Jeff

7 hours ago, jaapv said:

Yes, but why not let the user own the basic product and offer a subscription model for the update service? I think that Adobe went for this scheme to get around the cracks that they were battling with little success.

Because Lightroom CC Classic is not an update of Lightroom 6. It's a new product, the update service wouldn't update version 6.