Stealth3kpl

Film for trips

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My last two trips through Gatwick (South and North), they refused to hand search, even though I had Superia 1600 and TX3200 in my poly bag of film. They just tell you the same lie about their machines not fogging 3200 ISO film. They said they are not permitted to hand search film nowadays, which is not I suspect, true but they just can't be bothered. In the end, they put the films through the shoe x-ray machine which is probably worse than the regular conveyer belt machine. The Superia pulled to 800 seemed OK but the TX3200 was as expected, fogged after push processing to 6400 - thanks a bunch security guys. On a forthcoming trip to India, I have decided not to take any high ISO film with me for just this reason and am only taking 10 rolls of Kodak ProPhoto 100 ISO colour negative. I will rely on my digital CL for high ISO shots.

Wilson

On 2/11/2019 at 10:36 AM, wlaidlaw said:

My last two trips through Gatwick (South and North), they refused to hand search, even though I had Superia 1600 and TX3200 in my poly bag of film. They just tell you the same lie about their machines not fogging 3200 ISO film. They said they are not permitted to hand search film nowadays, which is not I suspect, true but they just can't be bothered. In the end, they put the films through the shoe x-ray machine which is probably worse than the regular conveyer belt machine. The Superia pulled to 800 seemed OK but the TX3200 was as expected, fogged after push processing to 6400 - thanks a bunch security guys. On a forthcoming trip to India, I have decided not to take any high ISO film with me for just this reason and am only taking 10 rolls of Kodak ProPhoto 100 ISO colour negative. I will rely on my digital CL for high ISO shots.

Wilson

As far as I know you can fill a claim for that film, this is what I've been told at Birmingham Airport (they insisted to scan my films once, other times happy with hand scans)

1 hour ago, fatihayoglu said:

As far as I know you can fill a claim for that film, this is what I've been told at Birmingham Airport (they insisted to scan my films once, other times happy with hand scans)

The £6 I would get back from them is really not worth the bother. They would probably want me to prove it was their machine that had caused the damage. I was going to take some Superia 1600 to India with me for night shots but after last November's experience in the same Gatwick South Terminal I am using again next month, I now won't take it. it is no real hardship, as the CL's low light performance is so good, plus I don't have much Superia 1600 left (only about 4 rolls). I am taking my R adapter L so I can use my faster R lenses on the CL as well as its wide and standard TL zooms. 

Wilson

2 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

The £6 I would get back from them is really not worth the bother. They would probably want me to prove it was their machine that had caused the damage. I was going to take some Superia 1600 to India with me for night shots but after last November's experience in the same Gatwick South Terminal I am using again next month, I now won't take it. it is no real hardship, as the CL's low light performance is so good, plus I don't have much Superia 1600 left (only about 4 rolls). I am taking my R adapter L so I can use my faster R lenses on the CL as well as its wide and standard TL zooms. 

Wilson

Sure for £6 it's not worth it, but just to annoy them and try to teach them a lesson since as a passenger it is your right to ask for it and they should have a reasonable ground. So after my experience I've used BHX again and this time they were very happy to hand check my canisters. I have mentioned my previous experience to one of the security personnel and he has advised me to speak with a supervisor/duty manager. So I did, and duty manager has told me the above basically :) The only thing is, I don't travel anything above 400 :)

20 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Wilson

Also I have reported my incident to CAA and today they have responded to me for further follow up, inspections etc. So I advise you do the same, as what I find is, the staff is really not trained for this issue. You never know, one day CAA might issue a notice about this :)