Voigtlander Nokton Classic 40mm 1.4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Santa delivered a sweet little Voigtlander  Nokton Classic 40mm 1.4 to me last week.  I think it is an ideal size for the TL2/CL bodies, plus not too expensive with pretty darn good image quality as far as I am concerned.  So far, I must agree with  Voigtlander's statement - "This multi-coated version of the Nokton Classic 40mm f/1.4 produces vivid yet accurate colors along with high contrast and saturation, making it well-suited for general shooting applications."   Of course , on the crop sensor bodies, this yields a 60mm view - a bit longer than 'normal' but very useable.  There is no vignetting that I could detect on my TL2.  It seems sharp even at 1.4.  I'm sure it has some issues, but nothing that bothers me so far (I have only taken a couple of dozen shots with it so far)

Rick

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

A test shot - the lens is sharp and colors are vivid.

VM 40mm 1.4

• Like 2

I have in Tl-2 it’s one of my most used lenses. It’s a tiny bit soft and dreamy at 1.4 but really cleans up a f2. Great Bokeh at 2.0-3.5. 60 is at the far end of a normal range but I have got used to it. If you have a few pennies left over I would look at getting a Hawks factory close focus M-mount to TL adaptor. It really adds to the versatility of this wonderful lens.

On 1/4/2019 at 5:08 PM, lct said:

How do you find bokeh with this lens?

Ict, 

I will let you know when I get back from my trip to Thailand which is starting today..  I am at JF K airport waiting for our plane.  I should be able to post some photos in a couple of weeks. I will say that the few shots that I have taken look promising.

Rick

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The lens performed admirably … a bit soft wide open, but by f2.5 good and sharp.  Bokeh is fine as far as I am concerned, I will post a few shot around f 2.0 in evening light as examples.

TL2 Voigtlander 40 f 1.4

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TL2 40mm VM f 1.4

• Like 3

40mm VM 1.4  TL2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Nokton 40 is a lovely lens! Bokeh wide open is a touch busy, goes smoother at f/2-2.8. It's light and fast and contrasty, easily available, and reasonably priced. I had one for some time, only sold it because it had become redundant in my accretion of more equipment than I needed/wanted. 

After I acquired the CL, I nearly bought another: the "long normal" focal length is one of my favorites for APS-C format. But the chance came up to obtain an example of my other forty-ish favorite, the Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Limited, and I went for that instead. It was a bit more expensive, difficult to find, and needs the LTM->M-mount adapter to be fitted, but I don't regret it... :D

• Like 3