Kdkns

Analog camera with digital back?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I am new to Leica but have been contemplating getting one for many years. I would like to ask of those of you with experience which camera , Leica Q or Leica M10 May be a right fit for me. 

I’m experienced photographer and the most joy I still have when shooting for my own personal needs is the simplicity of a film camera. My only 35mm film camera I have is a Pentax K1000. I do also have an older canon model but the pure simplicity of aperture, shutter, and a spot meter are all I really need. Even today, I tend to use techniques with focusing in the center and re-framing. 

I have been looking to get a Leica q because it is an all in one package and I like fixed lens camera s and generally shoot primes on my DSLR.  However, the q has both worlds of past and present which may be a good fit. The camera I purchased to fill my Leica need in the past is a Fuji X100T which I absolutely love. The Q I’ve heard is a better version of this camera in every way other than compactness ( protruding lens) 

Saying that, I just looked at reviews of the M10-D and it fits so close to everything that I wanted in simple 35mm camera with relying on fundamentals and only on myself. I would probably get a M10-P because I am still not sure if I could live without a screen, but I have a bad habit of chimping and getting lazy with modern cameras limitless shots. 

For professional work I have a new Fuji XT3, but am not sure if the Q or a M10 would work better to my ideal version. Also I have some very nice film era glass from Pentax ( limited primes ) , that may be good on a Leica body?

Posted (edited)

I’ve not owned or ever used an M10. I did hold one and it seemed heavy to me. 

I owned three of the Fuji X100 models and loved the T. However, once I switched the the Leica Q, I would never consider going back. The image quality of the Q is superb!  The Summicron lens gives beautiful colors and is very fast at f/1.7. The built in macro capability is super sharp and convenient. The AF is fast and consistent. Not perfect, but pretty darn close. Much better than the Fuji X100T. The manual focus is superb and brings back the feeling of using a Leica rangefinder. The ergonomics of the camera is extremely good. Menus are there when you need them and especially the favorites menu otherwise, they’re invisible. You can adjust aperture and shutter speed with the dials. Easy. 

I highly recommend the Q. Its my go to camera for all the reasons I stated above. I’m a serious amateur and occasional professional photographer with 60 years of taking photos experience. The Q has returned the joy to photography for me. 

Good luck on your decision. 

Edited by Infiniumguy

Thank you very much for that feedback. Since I have the XT3, a compact more enjoyable shooting experience is what I’m looking for and it sounds like the Q would be a good upgrade over the X100T. The ability to have very well done manual focus when needed is something that I would find enjoyable. 

I'm less experienced or talented than Dan (Infiniumguy), but also someone who graduated from the Fuji x100 and now my problem is that no camera seems remotely as much fun as the Q. 

3 hours ago, Kdkns said:

Also I have some very nice film era glass from Pentax ( limited primes ) , that may be good on a Leica body?

Not on a Q. :p  However, it would do just fine on an M10, SL or CL (TL2)

Q or M10 - you will get a fantastic camera with either one.

Do you want to change lenses? M10.

Do you need AF? Q.

I guess it's down to those two main questions.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Problem with the Q : after getting it, you want more Leica gear.

Be careful it's dangerous.

I didn't get the M10, but I went back to analog with the M7 and also looking to buy a M2.

Much as I love the idea of the Q, it does have some annoying quirks. I was hoping to be able to use it for work, as a lighter weight solution to Nikon in certain circumstances. 

The menus are unintuitive, and the on-off switch a triumph of really bad design. Whenever you want to turn it on, it almost always goes to the continuous shooting mode (as the single shooting mode is in the centre). I turn off the camera when not using it so not to get through numerous batteries (and turning off the camera after shooting and then back on as you raise the camera to shoot, saves a lot of battery power). Low light performance is pretty poor, so not much advantage in having the full frame over the Fuji APS in that respect. The skin tones, especially in low light, are also poor. If you want to use flash - forget it. I have an expensive leica flash with a swivel head to bounce the light - it doesn't even fire consistently and trying to balance ambient and flash was next to impossible. The only guy I know who uses flash with Leica uses a Contax flash! 

I have some Fujis also, so am pretty familiar with them too. The leica Q looks great, feels good (although the Fuji XT-2 is more comfortable in the hand); very good autofocus; fantastic lens; discreet and quiet. I do still use it on holidays, and for some street photography.

10 hours ago, Laurentß said:

Problem with the Q : after getting it, you want more Leica gear.

Be careful it's dangerous.

I didn't get the M10, but I went back to analog with the M7 and also looking to buy a M2.

Already starting to happen!  I’m still trying to pick up a used Q. I may be selling my X100T regardless and using the XT3 with a pancake lens. 

Because of my research I’ve started looking at an M10 and used MP. I bought some film again and started shooting with my Pentax K1000. I enjoy it , even tempted to look at an M10-d but I’ve never held a Leica film camera and can’t appreciate it. The K1000 is tried and true and I can use almost all my existing glass on it. 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, nick h said:

Much as I love the idea of the Q, it does have some annoying quirks. I was hoping to be able to use it for work, as a lighter weight solution to Nikon in certain circumstances. 

The menus are unintuitive, and the on-off switch a triumph of really bad design. Whenever you want to turn it on, it almost always goes to the continuous shooting mode (as the single shooting mode is in the centre). I turn off the camera when not using it so not to get through numerous batteries (and turning off the camera after shooting and then back on as you raise the camera to shoot, saves a lot of battery power). Low light performance is pretty poor, so not much advantage in having the full frame over the Fuji APS in that respect. The skin tones, especially in low light, are also poor. If you want to use flash - forget it. I have an expensive leica flash with a swivel head to bounce the light - it doesn't even fire consistently and trying to balance ambient and flash was next to impossible. The only guy I know who uses flash with Leica uses a Contax flash! 

I have some Fujis also, so am pretty familiar with them too. The leica Q looks great, feels good (although the Fuji XT-2 is more comfortable in the hand); very good autofocus; fantastic lens; discreet and quiet. I do still use it on holidays, and for some street photography.

1/ Menus : there is a front page with your favorites. No need to digg deeper for 99% of setup (coming from Sony @ menus, Leica's are a breeze)

2/ I never turn off my camera. It doesn't use juice when idle. (I don't put a lens cap either)

3/ Low light performance is not the best indeed. I like to carry a LED light with me to give some pop. Flash is another story.

4/ I will add the crop 35mm is ok but 50mm is stretching it a bit.

@Kdkns I looked at the M Digital line, but it's a bit clunky compared to the Q. It's trying to emulate film, but it's not film. I might look at a Monochrom, but so far I'm happy with my M7 and can't wait to get a M2.

Edited by Laurentß

M10 or Q are really good options but it depends on your shooting style. Those cameras are different but I think the Q is more versatile because you can shoot using the hyperfocal scale on the lens or just using the autofocus. With the M bodies/lenses you can only focus manually, but you can change lenses. A couple months ago I sold all my gear except the X100F and bought a Leica M10 and then a Leica Q. In my view, I can say that the x100F is a great camera and for that reason I didn't sell it, but the M10 and Q are a different experience. The Q is close to the X100 series in terms of usage (autofocus, EVF, fix lens...) but the lens of the Q has hyperfocal scale and that's a big reason to me, without mentioning the image quality. Finally, I would like to say that my pictures and photographic eye change depending on the camera I'm using, I don't know why. With the Q I feel so confident when shooting because of the easy to use manual focus and the leaf shutter so my best pictures are took with this camera. I hope my experience helps you!

The Q is a lovely camera, but I wouldn't want to live with just a fixed 28mm lens. Did that once upon a time and didn't enjoy it after the novelty wore off. If it had a 35, 40, or 50 mm lens, that would do me a lot better. 

The Leica M-D is the closest thing to what you're looking for. It has no options really (just single, continuous, or self timer drive operation; aperture priority or manual exposure other than ISO, shutter time, aperture, and focus), and no LCD or other buttons to distract you. Find a body, put the lens you like on it (and you'll want M-mount lenses to use the rangefinder), and there's your simplest digital camera, closest thing to a film camera if that's what you're looking for. 

The M10-D can be used the same way, but is actually a full featured camera in which the many feature options (and attendant LCD and control buttons) are offloaded to a smartphone for the infrequent times you might want to use them. Buy one of them, put the lens you like on it, configure it, then use it just like you use the M-D. The nice thing about the M10-D is that it can take the Visoflex EVF ... and with that, you can buy a mount adapter and use your Pentax lenses on it too. 

There's no perfect solution, but both the M-D and the M10-D are more versatile camera than a Q if you should want to do something other than what the Q can do. That's important to me. 

(My kit is now a CL and an M-D. I tend to use just two or three lenses on the M-D most of the time—35, 50, or 75—and use just one of them for long stretches at a time, just like I use my M4-2 film body. I use the same lenses, and my Leica R lenses, on the CL for when I need much more versatility for things like copy work, long tele, etc. Works for me...!)