Funny hopes for Leica in 2019

bags27

Advertisement (gone after registration)

https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/7637649961/2019-manufacturers-new-year-resolutions?slide=4

Leica

Let's be honest, Leica – this is pointless. It doesn't matter what we want, or what we say, or what anyone wants or says, you're Leica! You'll just continue to do whatever you want, and there's every chance that in a few weeks' time we'll find ourselves reviewing a limited edition ping-pong-bat-rubber-clad Melania Trump signature-edition M10. And that's why we love you.

Leica - in 2019 we wish you would...

• Stop with the special editions already – this isn't the 90s.
  • Make a Q2 - maybe even with a 35mm lens...
  • Say goodbye to 1950s technology and make an M-mount camera with an EVF.
  • Give your customers their moneys' worth and turn camera repairs around in days, not months. It's not impossible - everyone else can do it.
  • Like 3

I like special editions :) I would never buy one, but they make the company easy money and don't impact product development or production - in fact they finance part of it, with the bonus that they allow Leica to test the market reaction to some ideas - like the LCD-less digital camera.

If there is one thing that is 1950-ies technology, it is the M-mount. :rolleyes:

Somebody at DPReview doesn't get it. But then, it is DPReview.

Happy new Year ! :):)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 1/2/2019 at 5:01 AM, bags27 said:

Say goodbye to 1950s technology and make an M-mount camera with an EVF.

This is what I and I guess many other M mount lenses owners and users waiting for. I should not be that hard to make, Leica does have all the bits and pieces to make it only willingness is lucking to make it. Keep making M bodies for those who want it with that removable bottom plate, lens leaver selector and rangefinder.

3 hours ago, V23 said:

This is what I and I guess many other M mount lenses owners and users waiting for. I should not be that hard to make, Leica does have all the bits and pieces to make it only willingness is lucking to make it. Keep making M bodies for those who want it with that removable bottom plate, lens leaver selector and rangefinder.

They will. SL2 + M adapter.(with optional Leica branded Superglue for those who want an M mount only body)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, CharlesL said:

How can Leica put together camera electronics and a battery for the M240 such that battery life is great - yet make electronics and battery for the SL that is lucky to last 80 shots?

That is bizarre; the battery life on my SL is as good as my M240. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, CharlesL said:

How can Leica put together camera electronics and a battery for the M240 such that battery life is great - yet make electronics and battery for the SL that is lucky to last 80 shots?

One single SL battery will usually last some 300 shots. Sufficient for one day's usage. If you have concerns on battery life, the battery pack serves well. Plus an additional battery you carry in pocket, it is absolutely safe. Alternatively you can wait for the invention of a newclear powered digital camera which power will last you more than the life of the camera.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, sillbeers15 said:

One single SL battery will usually last some 300 shots.

I've achieved 500 shots per battery when covering events. The latest firmware updates have really improved battery usage, even if you don't turn-on power saving. That's in EVF-only mode, shooting at a relatively fast pace (the camera almost never goes to sleep).

The S is the real champion for battery usage. 1500 shots is achievable.

• Like 2

I don't think shot numbers is a good measure of battery life, because use of the LCD for images and menus has quite a draining effect. I've had towards 600 shots from a battery if I'm using the camera intensively without much review or option changing, or down to 300 if taken over a much longer period with a lot of inefficient faffing around. But never down to anything like 80 shots.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, frame-it said:

only 80 shots ? perhaps you need to buy a new battery.

Took delivery on a used SL with battery. Terrible battery life. So I bought a new battery, charged it for 3.5 hours, and got less than 80 shots. Maybe it will do better after two or three more charges.

Something really wrong here. Does the camera run hot? Does the battery show "full" on the camera after charging? The only alternative explanation is that you leave the camera turned on permanently.

13 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Something really wrong here. Does the camera run hot? Does the battery show "full" on the camera after charging? The only alternative explanation is that you leave the camera turned on permanently.

Camera does not run hot. After a full charge, the battery starts full at four bars. Camera is turned off between use. During use, live view is strictly on the EVF, and Power Off is set to 2 minutes. One power drain worth mention is that the SD card is a Flashair Wi-Fi card, used to take the image files off the camera into the computer. However, I used the same card in an M240 without such poor battery performance.

Meh to M EVF and dopereview, it is done via screw and M mount adapters with plenty of Leica made EVF cameras. Some just needs to learn about it by 2019 already.

But maybe Leica will figure out how to make cameras with IBIS and dust shake. If not in 2019, but by 2029 for sure. :)