Mark Lyka

Leica Q autofocus failure using shutter button

My Leica Q autofocus through the shutter button -- single point, multi-point, tracking -- has failed, in less than a year.  No drops or bumps or other possible factors.  Touch AF and touch+release remain operable.  I'm guessing this is a warranty-eligible repair, but I'd be interested to know any experience with the failure mechanism.  Thanks.  

You should be covered by the initial warranty. Presume manual focus still works for you?

Answered my own question here -- A friend had looked at my camera and scrolled through the menu, and, unbeknownst to me, apparently reset the rear button to AFL, which disables the shutter.  Very sorry to raise an unnecessary alarm.  As a comment on Q autofocus in general, mine has always been very exact, and from every AF sensor point.  

There is moral in your story.  Incidentally, if your standard settings have been incorporated in a User Profile,  which I strongly recommend, resetting that profile would have effected a cure for you.

if your standard settings have been incorporated in a User Profile

That also assumes you keep your User profile up-to-date.   More than once I've selected a profile and found it didn't match the shooting options I'd been using.   Seems I forget to update the profile (and save them to the SD card) when changing options. I do change options over time in my effort to find the perfect operating environment ;)  

I regard my profiles as a safe well-proven starting point. I frequently stray from them according to current needs. Sometimes I decide a small change should be incorporated into a proven profile leading to slow but steady evolution. Occasionally the latest changes become an entirely new profile, displacing an older infrequently used profile. I try to keep a little cue card in my case to keep track of my changes. But I always have a safe key profile for selecting at the start of a shooting session.