Black Bands at High ISO

I'm afraid that this is just a fact of life with the Q at higher ISOs in low light.

It's a real shame, as the banding (which can be slightly ameliorate in post) is much harder to accommodate than just noise, which can look quite natural in BW on other cameras.

do not use electronic shutter. Only mechanical one or choose auto shutter for best results.

Electronic shutter hates certain lights hence the black bands and fast movements hence movement distorsion. 

Leaf shutter do not have any problem with any lightings.

Anyway high ISO with the Q is almost always nice enough to use. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

you're welcome. Actually I recommend to use it electronic shutter in extended mode :

- until 1/2000th the Q will use the super quiet leaf shutter. Which will avoid any weird banding and distortion in normal shooting situation

- And faster than 1/2000th the Q will use totally silent electronic shutter. Which will able you to shoot at f/1.7 in bright sunlight. Usually at these speeds, you will be outdoor, so no lighting problem. Anyway you can encounter very fast moving subject. If that is the case, just choose 1/2000th as your speed with the speed dial, and the leaf shutter will take care of any problem. 

Please take not that flash is not compatible with electronic shutter. But the leaf shutter is super nice for fill in flash photography in bright sunlight or in a studio. You can sync flash at any speed until 1/2000th, without loss of flash power. 

Edited by nicci78

21 hours ago, chaynes4@me.com said:

Latest is that I turned off the electronic shutter. No more problems. Thanks for that nicci78.

hi, sorry to disturb. I want to understand the clearly.

Do you mean that you had noise at high iso (on dark areas?) at any speed and selecting to use only mechanical shutter all the banding was gone at high iso (at any speed)?

And what setting did you have before? Electronic shutter or Electronic extended shutter?

I'm asking because I have always be in extended mode and I have the banding at 3200/6400 high iso, 1/60th,  low light environment of course...

thanks

Edited by DIENDI70

I'm talking about this banding:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

We are not talking about the same thing. 

Your problem : too strong shadow recovery and/or bad exposure. Or it is just too dark for the Q. 

Consider using flash, image stabilization or tripod. 

Or consider another camera with better high ISO ability. But a 28mm full frame f/1.7 with optical image stabilization, should be ok even in dark places. 

Edited by nicci78

Banding is normal with the Q in the shadow areas (when you try to pull out detail) usually above iso 3200 and that is just the way it is. It can actually be eliminated in post by using the programme 'Dfine 2' which used to be from Google. Also make sure you are on the latest firmware as the the one released with the original camera was really bad at higher iso's

Edited by viramati