Transferring Lightroom to a new Mac

kalanka

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I bought my M9 I was given a complimentary license for Lightroom 6 which I operated on a MacBook Pro, most recently running Sierra.

I have just upgraded my computer to an iMac running Mojave and copied the app files for Lightroom across.  The app will not open on clicking the LR logo - there is a very brief flash of the LR start page and then nothing further.

Any ideas?

You will probably need to reinstall Lightroom as it saves some hidden files regarding registration etc., which you may not have copied over.  If you still have the original download them reuse that or go here https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/lightroom-downloads.html to re-download.  Use the TAN you got with the M9 and Abobe's website should recognise this, can't remember if you have to login or not. Apply any update necessary to the latest version. Make sure your picture files and catalogue are in a directory of the same name as they were on your MacBook and select this catalogue when you first run Lightroom and it should hopefully be as it was when you last saw it.

Hope that's helpful.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, John McMaster said:

I think LR6 is too old for 10.14

john

LR 6.14 is running fine on mac OS X Mojave for me. 

John, you need to install Lightroom on the new machine from the original distribution. You should also open it on the old machine first and use Help > Sign Out command. Be sure to update LR v6.x to LR v6.14, as that is the very last perpetual license version. 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

Thanks for the help.

I have succeeded in installing LR6.14 on the iMac and it seems to work as it should.

The normal route of upgrade/download did not seem to function and kept trying to get me to sign up to LR CC, but I finally ended up on the Adobe help section.  There is a page there

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/lightroom-downloads.html

which allowed me to download LR 6.0 and an update to LR 6.14 with my Adobe password.