Reveal photos without finishing the reel.

Dopaco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello:
It turns out that I have a reel placed in my Leica IIIg and I have taken approximately 14 photos, which I must reveal.

What can I do to get it, without spoiling as little as possible?

There must be more than one trick:
Which is the best? ..

Thank you
regards

4 hours ago, pico said:

Gire la palanca de rebobinado (delante del disparador) y rebobine la película con el botón del extremo izquierdo.

Thanks for answering.
Yes, but with that you manage to rewind the 14 photos and lose the remaining 22. The ideal would be to transfer only 14 and leave the remaining 22 to go taking pictures.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you are used to working in a completely dark dark room, then it's not all that difficult:

• Rewind the film slowly and stop rewinding before you pull the beginning of the film into the cartridge.
  • Take the cartridge out of the camera.
  • In the darkroom, pull the length of film which corresponds to the header and your fourteen exposures (and some reserve) out of the cartridge.
  • Still in the darkroom, cut that part of the film off and move it into your development tank.
  • In dim light, cut the beginning of the remaining film into the shape required by the camera and put the remaining film into the camera.

In a pessimistic scenario, the header would take some 18cm, perhaps, and the 14 frames 56cm. I would add another 12cm or so just to be on the safe side.

On the other hand, is the film very expensive? Otherwise, I would just develop the film and write the two unexposed thirds off. On the other hand, you might take some experimental shots just to fill the film. 

It's been a long time since I did this, and the camera I had then had a knife built in which let you cut the film after the last exposed frame. The take up spool was an empty cartridge, so that you could take it out in plain daylight.

• Like 1

Oh, Dau, you make so complicated. Here is the road-weary photographer's version.

Get a film can or a length of aluminum foil.
Advance the film two strokes to clear the exposure window.
Close the blinds and dive under the covers of your bed.
Open the camera's bottom plate and gently pull the take-up spool out while also nudging the film cassette out. (A pencil eraser inserted helps to pull it out.)

When you have that in-hand tear the film at the cassettes opening, undo the film from the take-up spool and place it in the film can or wrap it thoroughly in the aluminum foil.

Google 'dark bag' if you sleep without blankets.

It's been a long time since I did this, and the camera I had then had a knife built in which let you cut the film after the last exposed frame. The take up spool was an empty cartridge, so that you could take it out in plain daylight.

An Exacta, no?

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb pico:

Yes, pico, your way is much less complicated, if you dare taking the film out of a Leica this way in the dark. 

No need for a dark bag. I just close my eyes.

• Thanks 2

I've often cut and processed a part length of film, frugality mainly, too tight to waste the rest.

I tend to do this in total darkness, not closing my eyes, and once the exposed section is free from the roll and camera I load it directly into the developing tank.

It's definitely simpler with an SLR, where you can open the rear door completely, but if you can extract the cassette, plus the film, plus the take up spool from your camera, this will certainly be OK, just remember to sacrifice a couple of frames so you don't ruin that very last shot. (I don't have a 111g, only an old Model 1a, but I guess they are similar)

Gary

Then when you separate the exposed images you must cut a leader of about 10cm for the new leader, and spend one or two frames with the wind-on. It then make less sense to be frugal.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Dopaco said:

Hello:
It turns out that I have a reel placed in my Leica IIIg and I have taken approximately 14 photos, which I must reveal.

What can I do to get it, without spoiling as little as possible?

There must be more than one trick:
Which is the best? ..

Thank you
regards

I have done it in more than one occasion. This is simple (you do lose few frames though). 

- advance a frame so that your exposed frame is safe. 

- open the lens. Crank shutter and open the shutter in bulb mode. Now you can see the film. Take a small piece of tape (I use masking tape) and stick it on the film for marker. Put the lens back. 

- Now rewind the film as if you have finished shooting. The entire roll including the marker tape goes into the cassette safely. 

- Go inside the changing bag and load the film on the spool. As you do try to feel for the masking tape. It is easy. When you get to the masking tape then cut the film. The un exposed film is in the cassette that can be loaded into the camera. 

- put the exposed reel into the developing tank and either develop yourself normally or ship the tank to the developer. 

That should do. If you don’t have the changing bag and tank then get it. I won’t know how to do it without them.

Best of luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pico said:

Oh, Dau, you make so complicated. Here is the road-weary photographer's version.

Get a film can or a length of aluminum foil.
Advance the film two strokes to clear the exposure window.
Close the blinds and dive under the covers of your bed.
Open the camera's bottom plate and gently pull the take-up spool out while also nudging the film cassette out. (A pencil eraser inserted helps to pull it out.)

When you have that in-hand tear the film at the cassettes opening, undo the film from the take-up spool and place it in the film can or wrap it thoroughly in the aluminum foil.

An Exacta, no?

This will do as well I read it after I posted mine. This is what I love about fully manual cameras. You can understand how it works and have control over it.  

Hace 18 horas, jmahto dijo:

Lo he hecho en más de una ocasión. Esto es simple (aunque pierdes algunos marcos). 

- Un avance en el marco de su marco expuesto sea seguro. 

- Abre la lente. Gire el obturador y abra el obturador en modo bombilla. Ahora puedes ver la película. Tome un trozo pequeño de cinta y péguelo en la película para marcar. Ponga la lente de nuevo. 

- Ahora rebobina la película como si hubiera terminado de filmar. Todo el rollo, incluida la cinta marcadora, se introduce en el casete de forma segura. 

- Ir dentro de la bolsa de cambio y cargar la película en el carrete. Como se intenta sentir por la cinta adhesiva. Es fácil. Cuando llegas a la cinta adhesiva, corta la película. La película no expuesta está en el caso de que se puede cargar en la cámara. 

- Coloque el carrete expuesto en el tanque de revelado y desarrollo normalmente o enviado el tanque al revelador. 

Eso debería hacer. Si no tienes la bolsa de cambio y el tanque, entonces obténgalo. No sabré cómo hacerlo sin ellos.

La mejor de las suertes.

Thank you all for your comments.

I take note of the trick for when you need to use it.

a greeting