Jump to content
feelssadman

Voigtländer Ultron 35/2 and Color-Skopar 21mm f/3.5

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I'm excited about the 35m/2,0, especially as I discovered that it has the same 39 mm filter mount then my other Leica-lenses. Since I often use filters I like to know if someone already has experience with it's lens hood LH-12. I like to know if there is a cap for the lens hood, or if it is possible to use the original lens cap without removing the lens hood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, fotomas said:

I'm excited about the 35m/2,0, especially as I discovered that it has the same 39 mm filter mount then my other Leica-lenses. Since I often use filters I like to know if someone already has experience with it's lens hood LH-12. I like to know if there is a cap for the lens hood, or if it is possible to use the original lens cap without removing the lens hood.

Both LH-4N and LH-12 lens hoods are compatible with E39 Leica filters (other filters not tried so far) and the original 39mm lens front cap can be used with both hoods. It is even possible to put and remove both lens hoods w/o removing the lens front cap. I'm not aware of hood caps for those hoods though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2019 at 9:13 PM, sleepyhead said:

These lenses look promising, but I can’t stand the pseudo-retro black/silver styling, nor the silver-nose bayonet for the lens shades. Leica lenses just look much nicer to my eyes.

I know that this is trivial, and that lenses are tools, they should do the job and who cares how they look. But it’s a show-stopper for me.

They clearly mean to communicate something with the design... so you are totally entitled to have opinions about it beyound the lenses being only tools ,-) I still can not deside if I like their design consept for this range...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just received this lens and made a few test shots. First impressions: beautiful lens, small, focus less smooth than 35 summicron ASPH, center sharpness on M262 perfect (see examples, JPEG from DNG in Capture One, sharpening not changed from standard and 100% crop, I can only upload files with a maximum file size of 500kB (?))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very enthusiastic, according to me this lens looks just as sharp as the Zeiss ZM C-Biogon 35mm @2.8, which is an extremely sharp lens. Vignetting is pronounced @f2 (just as the Zeiss BTW), maybe I have to choose another lens coding, anyone suggestions? For M-bodies at this pricepoint the Ultron 35mm f2 is a game changer 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gromit

Which lens selection  did you choose?

 

i believe LCT said no lens selection chosen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gromit said:

Very enthusiastic, according to me this lens looks just as sharp as the Zeiss ZM C-Biogon 35mm @2.8, which is an extremely sharp lens. Vignetting is pronounced @f2 (just as the Zeiss BTW), maybe I have to choose another lens coding, anyone suggestions? For M-bodies at this pricepoint the Ultron 35mm f2 is a game changer 😀

Difficult to say. I did not do side to side comparos so i may be totally wrong but my feeling is the C-Biogon 35/2.8 has still the edge re macro contrast, flare and bokeh. Also its focusing action is smoother and its DoF markings are more visible than those of the Ultron. Only cons of the C-Biogon are vignetting and f/2.8 of course, besides E43 filters, but again this is just a feeling for now. Not quite fair to compare f/2.8 to f/2 lenses anyway. As far as game changing is concerned, it would be more interesting to compare the Ultron 35/2 to the 7artisans 35/2 IMHO. Both lenses are sharp at all apertures with a slightly nervous bokeh but the 7artisans has more flare when strong light sources are outside the frame. Also it is a bit more bulky and heavier than the Ultron and has a 0.7m vs 0.58m MFD but it has a regular focus tab and it is 6-bit coded. As for the price... It is too soon to conclude of course but if i had to keep two 35/2 modern M lenses, irrespective of price, the Summicron 35/2 asph would still be the winner but the Ultron would probably be the challenger due to its smaller size, closer MFD and overall qualities. FWIW.

Edited by lct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vor 5 Stunden schrieb rsolomon:

Gromit

Which lens selection  did you choose?

 

i believe LCT said no lens selection chosen 

I used the 35mm summicron v4 lens code

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vor 3 Stunden schrieb lct:

Difficult to say. I did not do side to side comparos so i may be totally wrong but my feeling is the C-Biogon 35/2.8 has still the edge re macro contrast, flare and bokeh. Also its focusing action is smoother and its DoF markings are more visible than those of the Ultron. Only cons of the C-Biogon are vignetting and f/2.8 of course, besides E43 filters, but again this is just a feeling for now. Not quite fair to compare f/2.8 to f/2 lenses anyway. As far as game changing is concerned, it would be more interesting to compare the Ultron 35/2 to the 7artisans 35/2 IMHO. Both lenses are sharp at all apertures with a slightly nervous bokeh but the 7artisans has more flare when strong light sources are outside the frame. Also it is a bit more bulky and heavier than the Ultron and has a 0.7m vs 0.58m MFD but it has a regular focus tab and it is 6-bit coded. As for the price... It is too soon to conclude of course but if i had to keep two 35/2 modern M lenses, irrespective of price, the Summicron 35/2 asph would still be the winner but the Ultron would probably be the challenger due to its smaller size, closer MFD and overall qualities. FWIW.

You could be right, I just did one very quick test, and I am not a real tester of lenses at all. I was just really glad with the first result. I have had the Zeiss Biogon-C and the result (using exactly the same camera and processing, which means no extra sharpening in Capture One, standard profile M262) looks the same in terms of sharpness, which to me is quite impressing (no side by side comparison though). I am going to use it now and will see how enthusiastic I will stay 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! Is anyone else's CV 35/2 Ultron focusing closer than the 0.58m as advertised? Think their quality control of the lens is rather lacking (from the sheer overabundance of grease and this). Please let me know if I just got a really bad copy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here but many lenses, including expensive ones, behave like that. Most if not all competitors focus at 0.7m. 0.58m (or 0.57m?) is a great advantage actually. On mirrorless cameras i mean since rangefinders cannot focus closer than 0.7m anyway.

44 minutes ago, Danieldouloslee said:

Hi! Is anyone else's CV 35/2 Ultron focusing closer than the 0.58m as advertised? Think their quality control of the lens is rather lacking (from the sheer overabundance of grease and this). Please let me know if I just got a really bad copy!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 Summicron ASPH does this too, focuses to 0.65 m. I hate it. Can't rely on the rangefinder patch unless I also remember to check the focus distance from the lens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So do my Summicron 35 mm ASPH. But it focusses in the rangefinder until the end. So I'm rather happy that I could go a bit closer then 0.7 m. Wonder how the Ultron does this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fotomas said:

So do my Summicron 35 mm ASPH. But it focusses in the rangefinder until the end. So I'm rather happy that I could go a bit closer then 0.7 m. Wonder how the Ultron does this?

Curious to know which RF focuses closer then 0.7m. Leica ones cannot do that AFAIK but i may be wrong. Anyway i can confirm that my M240 will not focus closer than 0.7m with the CV 35/2.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made the test with my M 246. But now I also tested my M 240 and it does it as well with the Summicron. But it's only about 5 cm closer. I think 0.7 m is just a general mark with small specific aberrations for each lens-model.
Does the VC lose rangefinder-patch coupling at 0.7 m? Could imagine that it will not follow until 0.58 m.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, fotomas said:

Made the test with my M 246. But now I also tested my M 240 and it does it as well with the Summicron. But it's only about 5 cm closer. I think 0.7 m is just a general mark with small specific aberrations for each lens-model.
Does the VC lose rangefinder-patch coupling at 0.7 m? Could imagine that it will not follow until 0.58 m. 

The rangefinder patch stops at 0.7 m and will not follow along below that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...