Charles P

Corrupt Video Files (Leica M-P Typ 240)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello All,

I shot MOV videos with my M-P 240 and some of the files got corrupted. I absolutely *MUST* restore these files.

I tried the commonly found free techniques (QuickTime, VLC). 

(Unsurprisingly), Most of the paid software restoration tools out there already claimed that they don't take Leica in charge as each brand and model have their own MOV file structure. I have spent time with their support team in live chats confirming this.

Based on my files sizes (ranging 640 MB to 4 GB), I still have hope. Data definitely exists, but it's only a matter of finding the right restoration technique of compatible software.

Anyone ran into a similar ordeal? I am devastated...

Thank you so kindly in advance for your help!

Charles

Edited by Charles P

I thought Mov is a standard. It would not make sense for there to be different file structures for different cameras as them how could there be playback.  You’d need different players. 

In what way did they get corrupted? Did you try renaming a copy to .avi and opening it with a media player?

Hi Charles 

MOV is a container ... nothing to do with the underlying file or information ... so yes ... each camera may have a different structure ... and if that is corrupted you do have not a lot of options.

Are you on Mac or the Dark Side? .... if the DS look for a small program utility called IsoBuster ... it can find almost anything ...

If all else fails you are welcome to send me the stuff you have and I will try to resuscitate it.

Regards,

Bob

@jaapv Thanks for your input. I just tried that. (renaming to AVI) then tried to open it with VLC and QuickTime. 

This is a screen capture of what happens when I play it with VLC... Nothing happens but software half-behaves like it is playing. But it isn't... 

Screen Capture

Back of my camera (thumbnails) the black thumbnails are the corrupt files.

Not sure how the corruption happened. Half the files that I shot on the camera yesterday are fine, but the last few files are not playing back. Not even on the Leica M240... Maybe a rogue SD card?

It could indeed be the SD card. Assuming you are running MAC you could repair permissions of the SD card jin Disk Utility, or use more powerful recovery software like Disk Warrior. These programs will rewrite the headers, which might do the trick.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By jaeger
      I put away the Leica hand-grip and installed the stock bottom cover today and I realize there is rubber opening that aligns with the SD card.  I have never used the stock cover...  so can I remove the SD card thru that slot without take off the bottom cover, or even without powering off the camera?  Thanks!!
      In additional, I have a MP version in black.  Does the bottom cover brassing like to top plate as well?  That would be sooo pretty!!
    • By Phillmcc
      Hi everyone , I have been told that a lot of early Leicas have three screws around the baseplate tripod mount , I've also been told that all or most of the fake Leicas have those same screws. Can anyone tell me when Leica stopped adding those screws on the baseplate please.
      I own a fake body which I purchased knowing that it is fake by the way :) 
    • By frank yantorno

This Camera was deliverded to me 18 Nov. directly from Leica Camera AG. I opened the box to examine the cameras functions indoors. There are less than 100 shutter actuations.The box includes everything exactly how it was shipped to me by Leica AG. It is a very beautiful premium compact camera with 4/3 sensor and great functions.
      I will ship anywhere in EU for $25.00 until Dec 15.
      After Dec. 16 I will bring to The States and ship inside the US for free.

• By DJAugustin
      LEICA M ( Typ 240 ) VB 3500.- €

In gepflegten Zustand mit sämtlichen Zubehör wie Lieferumfang. 
      Minimale gebrauchspuren. Folie noch auf der Bodenplatte.
      Display keine Kratzer ( wurde mit Folie geschützt ). Tragegurt nie benutzt.
      Alles in orig. Verpackung.

Leica Viewfinder EVF2 Nr.18 753 in orig. Verpackung.

Zweiter orig. Leica Akku 14 499 in orig. Verpackung.

Kamera-Protector von GARITZ aus Leder mit Aluboden und Stativgewinde.( ohne Bild ), aber im Übersichtsbild!Kein lästiges abnehmen des Protectors.( ohne Bild ), aber im Übersichtsbild! Meiner Meinung nach der beste Protector. In orig. Verpackung.

Alles in gepflegten Zustand. Siehe Bilder. Leider dürfen nur 5 Bilder gepostet werden !

Da es sich um eine Privatauktion handelt kann ich allerdings keine Gewährleistung übernehmen und kein Rückgaberecht einräumen. 
      Ich versichere natürlich hiermit, daß der Auktionsgegenstand mein Eigentum sind und er sich im beschriebenen Zustand befindet. Jeder Bieter erklärt sich durch sein Gebot mit den Bedingungen einverstanden.

SHIPPING ONLY WITHIN GERMANY 
    • By Wolle
      Zum Verkauf steht mein neuwertiges Summilux 1:1.4/35mm ASPH in Silber mit Originalverpackung und Zubehör.

Das Objektiv wurde von mir im Mai 2018 bei Leica gekauft und ist in absolut neuwertigem Zustand und ist seit März 2019 nicht mehr im Gebrauch. Es  hat keinerlei Beschädigung oder Kratzer etc.

Wegen des geplanten Verkaufs wurde das Objektiv bei Leica in Wetzlar geprüft und gereinigt. Die entsprechende Dokumentation und die Originalrechnung sind vorhanden. Werksgarantie besteht noch bis Mai 2020.

VB: 3.490 €

Bei Interesse melden Sie sich bitte via Email: wolle@sundivecenter.com

Dies ist ein Privatverkauf! Keine Garantie, Gewährleistung oder Rücknahme!