Do you assume a certain level of knowledge of a Leica shooter?

Me Leica!

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Exodies:

I think we do - actors, musicians, everyone on the tv.

Musicians are not showing of IMHO they try to play as good as it gets, except for the showoffs who think they are musicians. Every time I was on T.V. I did not think I was showing off ?? Is a newsreader on T.V. a show of? 

• 3 weeks later...

Envy is the worst defect a man can have. 

I dont get bothered by kids in lambos, or flaunting a Rolex. 

Ive came a cross a famous sports celebrity that just bought a Q and he just shot it in auto. He did wonderful compositions just by having good taste.  

Of course a Q renders beautifully and makes you believe you can take great shots. Indeed everyone can. 

What I find funny is when “experienced” users talk about what they own and dont show any pictures seems theres a great % of them in every forum. That i dislike more than a rich noob with a good camera. 

• Like 2

I prefer to avoid assuming anything. The driver of a high-performance automobile may, or may not, be an accomplished driver. The person carrying a costly, accurized target pistol may not be able to perform, on an actual target. 

I cannot see frame lines wider than 50mm, with my Monochrom 246, or 35mm, with my M10, because I wear eyeglasses while shooting, so I might compose with the LCD, when using my 35mm, 28mm, and especially 21mm lenses.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 12 Stunden schrieb RexGig0:

I prefer to avoid assuming anything. The driver of a high-performance automobile may, or may not, be an accomplished driver. The person carrying a costly, accurized target pistol may not be able to perform, on an actual target. 

I cannot see frame lines wider than 50mm, with my Monochrom 246, or 35mm, with my M10, because I wear eyeglasses while shooting, so I might compose with the LCD, when using my 35mm, 28mm, and especially 21mm lenses.

Strange...I wear glasses and I can see all frame lines. In the M6 time even 24mm was possible. What kind of glasses do you wear? Maybe the rigidness of the frame keeps you from seeing the frame lines. 

• 2 weeks later...

My rule is: Live and let live.
Maybe the guy in Japan Leica store saw an M at some friend and fell in love with the camera. Maybe he never used a manual camera before. Maybe in few years he will be a famous and reputed photographer. Maybe he just need to be seen with an expensive camera hanging from the neck. Maybe he just need a very expensive and funny paper holder on his desk top. Maybe in few months he will sell the Leica and buy a Canon. Who knows? But is none of my business.

• Like 2

The more people that buy Leica cameras the longer Leica stays in business and keeps making awesome cameras and lenses that I can buy. And I don't know squat about photography. It was probably me in that store..Was it two thursday's ago?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Digital cameras have definitely dummied down some slice of the photography crowd.

Ten or fifteen years ago I was on this "birds and bees" trip and I was the only one shooting film.  Everyone else had these real expensive digital SLRs.  This one lady who claimed to be a professional travel photographer -- and she had the website to prove it -- couldn't understand why all her shots were a bit fuzzy.  After a bit, getting tired of the complaining, I suggested she raise raise the shutter speed.  Pretty basic solution.  Photography 101.  Solved the problem.

• Haha 1

On 12/27/2018 at 11:32 PM, earleygallery said:

I've got a whole host of stuff to worry about ahead of what someone else does or doesn't do with a camera.

OK yes, if I see someone using a Leica I would generally assume that they know a reasonable amount about photography, but of course one must never assume anything! All it really means is they've bought a Leica.

Just because someone drives a Ferrari doesn't mean they know HOW to drive a Ferrari, it just means they have the money to buy one

Can't do that much (expensive) damage with a Leica.

Let's be honest, any bozo can buy and use any camera including any Leica, the difference is, can the bozo make it Sing' Yes, when I see someone using any Leica, I do assume they have the knowledge to use the equipment and an understanding of the Marque'.. Then again, in the past I've owned a Maserati, but I'm definately no racing driver.. 

On 5/7/2019 at 10:15 AM, SmokeSolid said:

Envy is the worst defect a man can have. 

I dont get bothered by kids in lambos, or flaunting a Rolex. 

Ive came a cross a famous sports celebrity that just bought a Q and he just shot it in auto. He did wonderful compositions just by having good taste.  

Of course a Q renders beautifully and makes you believe you can take great shots. Indeed everyone can. 

What I find funny is when “experienced” users talk about what they own and dont show any pictures seems theres a great % of them in every forum. That i dislike more than a rich noob with a good camera. 

Maybe you haven't looked at this forum properly. The photoforums are amongst the busiest places and you'll find work by most of the active contributors there, amongst many others.

• 2 weeks later...

I won't comment on photo knowledge or skill, but I was in the local mini-supermarket(?!) and spotted a Leica (M10 or M240) slung over a customer's shoulder; later, closer, inspection showed a Summilux 28/1.4 attached, so all-in-all the bearer was well-equipped.

When I eventually got close enough to say 'Leica M? I've got one, too.' his off-hand reply was 'Good for you.'

End of conversation!

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Of course I do. The knowledge where to find money for Leica.   The rest is the same. To combine two images together, no knowledge needed.

Not sure I can agree here, regarding joining images.

I tried years ago, using simple techniques, with limited success. So anyone doing it successfully is cleverer than me. Even with todays sophisticated software, knowledge is mandatory to get acceptable outcome, technically speaking.

The best I can manage is double exposure, but even that requires the knowledge of how (not) to advance film in an analog camera.

I don’t see the idea behind OP’s question. Leica is a brand that stands for simple and intuitive handling of their camera’s. Why would people who want to start with a Leica because they’ve got the money for it, like in upcoming economies in China for instance (many Chinese are shopping at Shinjuku station btw), need to know about some digital gadget in an M? 

4 hours ago, erl said:

Not sure I can agree here, regarding joining images.

I tried years ago, using simple techniques, with limited success. So anyone doing it successfully is cleverer than me. Even with todays sophisticated software, knowledge is mandatory to get acceptable outcome, technically speaking.

The best I can manage is double exposure, but even that requires the knowledge of how (not) to advance film in an analog camera.

I was talking about two images in RF, since this is in m240 sub-forum :).

Software has little to do with photography.  I realized it after reading interview with known photog. All he is using is LR and PS elements. 

I cut it to LR :).

Combining images is for computer graphic artists. I have seen, know many. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2018 at 3:27 AM, ianman said:

Not at all.

We were all beginners at some point.

All too true. I can only imagine what I looked like (and said) when buying my first real camera, but the salesperson at Olden Camera NYC was patient and steered me away from making an expensive mistake.